The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #6,556 of 22,406
i too have a chord dave/blu2 combo with my phi....the amp or no amp question as bedeviled me for some time now....without the amp the sound is so clear,so detailed and so spacious but it lacks a bit of grunt....with the amp the grunt is there but detail and transparency are lacking.....i guess i have to wait for rob watts digital amp for the chord prodicts

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #6,557 of 22,406
I'm stunned with how well Dave + Abyss keeps up with my new Focal Aria 936 loudspeakers.
I knew there was a reason I picked the Abyss over everything else I have tried.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #6,558 of 22,406
Is anyone using a speaker amp (a la HE6) to drive their Abyss? If so, which amps and are you using a resistor box or going straight from the speaker taps?

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #6,559 of 22,406
I know a while back the Simaudio Moon 600i (V1 or V2) was a popular option in this thead, direct from the speaker taps. I haven't heard it personally, but now owning the Susvara as well the as Phi, when my wallet recuperates I'll definitely be looking into giving one a try.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #6,560 of 22,406
From memory the resistor box was for convenience (XLR plug on the front) and safety (making sure there is always some load across the speaker terminals). So if you are happy to modify a cable (or possibly Joe could make a custom one?) and leave it always connected to the speaker taps, then you should be fine.
Again, from memory someone unplugged their Abyss with the amp switched OFF and still blew a fuse, so be extra careful.
Also, I think I remembered someone saying the resistor box degrades the sound. Not sure how correct that is, and if so, how significant the effect is.

Probably not the right person to answer this question though as I just have a headphone amp... They really aren't that power hungry - especially the phi.
If you already have a speaker amp you like though, it makes a lot of sense to go that route.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #6,561 of 22,406
Thanks for the feedback, I may pick up a Mjolnir 2 and play with the input tubes a bit. Plenty of power, and I can customize the sound with different input tubes.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #6,562 of 22,406
Okay, time to breath a bit of life into this Thread, my original, non-Phi, Abyss 1266 arrived today, and mein Got, what a headphone! I briefly listened too them at the Nashville Meet, noisy room, someone else’s head sized pair, and I was smitten. Now that I have a pair in my System (albeit with an amp ((Herron 5)), that is maxed out), with a sweet Vinshine R2R DAC, I am having copious eargasms.

I want to pick up an amp with a bit more oomph, And to take some time discovering the 1266’s capabilities, then consider the Phi upgrade.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #6,563 of 22,406
I'm trying to decide between the Abyss Phi and Susvara. My main concen is how well they portray the timbres of acoustic instruments, as I only listen to classical music. for those that have listened both, which one would you say is more natural/accurate? I've read that the original Abyss was kinf of V-shaped, would you say that has improved?

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #6,564 of 22,406
hello, I have an opportunity to buy a previously opened set of Abyss Phi from a retailer. is there a way to tell the difference between a Phi model and a non-Phi model? the one that is up for sale is the Deluxe package. thank you for any pointers that you can give me :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #6,565 of 22,406
Remove an ear pad and check the model engraving, will have the Phi symbol after 1266...

Abyss_AB1266_Phi.jpg

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Mar 29, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #6,566 of 22,406
Where is the notch for you right now?

Mine is at about 1-2 o' clock or so and I haven't heard better.
Curious if I should mess around a bit more.

Yeah, it's amazing how many different settings I've enjoyed with the Abyss.

That being said, my favorite is with the notch at around 1-2 o' clock .

I too have my earpads at 1-2 o' clock, with a double headband and wirestrap mod. and frame slightly tilted inwards/outwards depending on how much bass i feel for at the time.

20170723_011846.jpg 20170723_011931.jpg

This configuration is the most comfortable i've felt the abyss and now i have no issues listening to them for hours at a time.

I'm trying to decide between the Abyss Phi and Susvara. My main concen is how well they portray the timbres of acoustic instruments, as I only listen to classical music. for those that have listened both, which one would you say is more natural/accurate? I've read that the original Abyss was kinf of V-shaped, would you say that has improved?

Thanks!

Yes i would say this has improved. The sound is more uniform and coherent whiles still retaining the excellent treble and bass.
I still need to get around to my abyss review, which i'll be looking to get up soon.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #6,568 of 22,406

Thanks!

I had a response all typed out and almost finished it, but I had to erase it completely.

Without a doubt, you should try both if you can. It is such a personal preference. For acoustic, classical music I was going to say you might be better to go with the Susvara. However, I then put my Phi on my head and it changed my mind again. The more I listen to these two headphones the more I enjoy different their different attributes. I still think I prefer the Phi as my no compromises, just listen to music headphone, but the gap is very, very small. They both have things about them that make them so special, and such fun to listen to.

The Phi is like a big concert hall for one, and the Susvara is like a cozy small jazz club, or theatre. It really just depends on your preference.

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #6,569 of 22,406
I had a response all typed out and almost finished it, but I had to erase it completely.

Without a doubt, you should try both if you can. It is such a personal preference. For acoustic, classical music I was going to say you might be better to go with the Susvara. However, I then put my Phi on my head and it changed my mind again. The more I listen to these two headphones the more I enjoy different their different attributes. I still think I prefer the Phi as my no compromises, just listen to music headphone, but the gap is very, very small. They both have things about them that make them so special, and such fun to listen to.

The Phi is like a big concert hall for one, and the Susvara is like a cozy small jazz club, or theatre. It really just depends on your preference.
Thanks! I know that there's no substitute to listening to them, but there's no way to listen to the Abyss in Spain..., at least its great that they're bth in the same league...

Mar 31, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #6,570 of 22,406
From memory the resistor box was for convenience (XLR plug on the front) and safety (making sure there is always some load across the speaker terminals). So if you are happy to modify a cable (or possibly Joe could make a custom one?) and leave it always connected to the speaker taps, then you should be fine.
Again, from memory someone unplugged their Abyss with the amp switched OFF and still blew a fuse, so be extra careful.
Also, I think I remembered someone saying the resistor box degrades the sound. Not sure how correct that is, and if so, how significant the effect is.

Probably not the right person to answer this question though as I just have a headphone amp... They really aren't that power hungry - especially the phi.
If you already have a speaker amp you like though, it makes a lot of sense to go that route.

I think we can all forget the talk about power figuers of an amp, it does not say anything on how it deliver its power or how it presenting the music.

I have tested nearly 25 amps during the last 2-3 years, and if the amp just can pull out 1,5-2 watts @ 46 Ohm you are perfectly fine with the power. Then the A current is another figure that not so many take in consideration of an amp.

What you cant read out from the specs is how the amp sound; if a gitarr sound like a violin or Frank Sinatra sound more as a piipy teenager, nyances sounds flat, and does not have the pre visceral sound, where the amp builds up a tension before the tone hits you etc etc..
What we do know is that a bigger amp often does sound more effortless, and can project the sound with more layers , finesse and greater control than a smaller amp with less power reserve, and more compromises dun on its design. . Not a rule, more a pointer.

The SimAudio Moon i-7 , new 600i V2 or the 700i is just 3 speaker amps that i highly recomend, one great thing is its 530 steped bit perfect optical e.volume, that makes it more gentle for headphones than most other amps on the market does.

Just a pointer in the right direction and one stone narrower to make the most out of your high end headphones.

You can also drive them with small DAP / AQ Dragonfly driven by your iphone, take a listen and decide on what level you want your sound.

It is a matter of budjet to spend and taste.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back