The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #6,527 of 22,434
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #6,528 of 22,434
Wow I check in here after my last post pages back and allot of commotion over measurements lol.
I tested Abyss Phi on 2 different occasion and never seen any such issues.

Measurements can lie.
Measurements surely do lie.
Sometimes a peak is from the measurement rig using "ears"
Sometimes a peak shows up as a dip.

That's why you need compare the FR to the CSD to see how the decays and multipliers affect the FR.
Then there are the other measurements like distortion and impulse very important than worrying about some FR anomaly like resonance in the coupler.

I did not measure any such peaks and it shows how important the coupler is for measuring (type of mic, powered or usb, and calibration file choice, materials used for surface and mic support , whether mic in an ear or flat surface)

All that still not cover the DSP and sound proof chamber type that the best most expensive & excellent measurement setups like what Jude & Tyll have...

measurements can be flawed, misinterpreted and misused, however.
Yep its definitely a field that requires experience and interpretation.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #6,529 of 22,434
that discussion took place more than two weeks ago and the thread has moved on. there's no need to bring it up again.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #6,530 of 22,434
I must say by accident I got the Phi to go from great to even better....I have been listening to it with the ear cups essentially set as described in the Abyss video...I had been experimenting different configurations by adjusting the frame and loved what I had been hearing....for whatever reason I decided to monkey around with the earpads and changed them so the fat part was higher up on my head which had the effect of placing the ear cups further from my ears...Comfort wise it is not an improvement but sound wise it is a revelation,the bass has gone from deep to truly impactful....the sound is more dynamic and the soundstage even wider...I must admit i am kind of shocked,I want to try to continue to adjust for comfort but the sound now is truly remarkable....

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #6,531 of 22,434
Where is the notch for you right now?

Mine is at about 1-2 o' clock or so and I haven't heard better.
Curious if I should mess around a bit more.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #6,532 of 22,434
looking straight on the left notch is around 4 o'clock and the right around 8....

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #6,533 of 22,434
I'll give it a go around.
So far I like the way this fit represents what I am listening to.

I do understand the discomfort part though, haha...

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #6,534 of 22,434
after a lot of thinkink (about weight, comfort, fitting) i have now the abyss phi. the biggest "wow" effect was that i needed to hear the changes of the sound with the fit to understand the idea behinde it. the direction that they only gentle touche your head is a perfect start, thanks to this forum :). i realised that you can adjust the damping of the diaphragm with this headphone frame. imo they need some ventilation to sound best. is the fit tight (ea closed) the bass goes away and sounds muddy, otherwise, if the fit is very open the bass gets a boost up to getting bloomed.

after some time i realised that the headband due the tension wearing the headphone pushed the frame together, changes the sound. i then printed some spacers for the frame:

abyss.jpg

after finding the right size the fun begins. i can new rotate the frame a bit that the pads opens a tad more at the front and can so adjust the damping and the bass responce. it's a clever design. i don't know if my frame is not as tight as others but with the adapters i have reference points to go back and forward to hear the changes of the sound. the best sound i have with a realy soft touch of the pads around my head, a tad less (tiny tad open) in the front. they reminds my a bit of the jecklin float, little wobbling around when you move your head (and as i was a teenager then the fear that they fall down gg).

imo due the time you need to adjust the headphone it's a very variable sounding headphone, so everyone will stop a the point he like the sound best - realy clever and smart made.

don't need to say that they sound superb, nice parter for my dynahi or pass sony vfet, they need power. i can also understand the people that sold their electrostatic systems, the abyss is fast as hell.

my notch is also around 1-2 :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #6,535 of 22,434
I must say by accident I got the Phi to go from great to even better....I have been listening to it with the ear cups essentially set as described in the Abyss video...I had been experimenting different configurations by adjusting the frame and loved what I had been hearing....for whatever reason I decided to monkey around with the earpads and changed them so the fat part was higher up on my head which had the effect of placing the ear cups further from my ears...Comfort wise it is not an improvement but sound wise it is a revelation,the bass has gone from deep to truly impactful....the sound is more dynamic and the soundstage even wider...I must admit i am kind of shocked,I want to try to continue to adjust for comfort but the sound now is truly remarkable....

Below is what I was trying to explain before. I think it is what you are doing here.

This puts the pressure still at the top but slightly towards the front. It leaves a pretty big opening at the bottom and towards the back. It sounds promising too. Will keep trying this way and compare to pressure directly at the top.

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #6,536 of 22,434
I'll give it a go around.
So far I like the way this fit represents what I am listening to.

I do understand the discomfort part though, haha...

Because everyone's head and features is shaped differently, I think the key to describing the setting is not by the notches but rather, by the result of the setting. Such as, where is most of the pressure? Is the space equal all around or are there areas with greater space than other areas? Are there any openings? Where is most of the opening? etc.

In my case and I am still experimenting but I am finding a pretty nice sweet spot when I have most of the pressure at the very top of the ear and with slightly a little more towards the front of the top rather than the back part of the top.

And other thing I did was using this sponge padding that I found in a packaging. Think of a square that is about 13cm and in the square, there is a circle (with a diameter of 9cm) cut out. And it's about 2cm thick. So now the pressure is spread out around the circle instead of most of the pressure coming from the middle of the leather band. This may look silly but it really helps disperse the pressure.

If anyone needs pictures, I can try to add them later.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #6,537 of 22,434
Yeah, it's amazing how many different settings I've enjoyed with the Abyss.

That being said, my favorite is with the notch at around 1-2 o' clock .

Mar 5, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #6,538 of 22,434
One of the benefits of the 1266 design is that you can customize the fit without taking it apart. I've yet to audition any other phone with this much flexibility in the area of fit.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,539 of 22,434
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #6,540 of 22,434
Hi Everyone - I'm still very much on the edge by way of upgrading my AB1266 to Phi-spec, that is to say I love the sound my AB1266's currently generate. I listen to mainly electronic music so scale, dynamics and PRAT are the reason I invested in the Abyss' and to date they never fail to put a smile on my face. What concerns me about the Phi's is around reports that sub-bass performance is slightly restrained (in comparison to the original Abyss' - but still very much best in class) so as to create more control of the Phi's grip on low frequency extension. Other than that, a more resolving driver, and a more controlled top end sound great. I just down want to lose what I love so much about Abyss' in their current guise i.e. slam, authority, PRAT and extension.

I note there are few users on here who have decided against the upgrade - if its okay, I'd like to explore why that was the case. Happy to do this in this thread or via PM. Lastly, are there in IDM fans who have upgraded to the Phi's and haven't looked back? I listen mainly to Techno, Tech House, Deep House, Progressive House and Ambient.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back