The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #21,811 of 22,483
You even have probably the best amps one can desire. Even more and better bass? I mean, go 2 channel with a subwoofer. The 1266 is already an extreme outlier in how it can recreate bass presence whilst only being a headphone.
Abyss goes into the other direction at the moment, creating new Diana models and reducing the price while going for a more warmer sound signature then that analytical cold one they have started with. I also think that planars have reached a ceiling when it comes to performance, look at the Susvara and 1266, nothing beats them.
I achieved a beautiful midrange with tube rolling (and an R2R DAC and a warmer cable), now it sounds so sweet and magical in the midrange, i'm extremely happy.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #21,812 of 22,483
you are on a wild goose chase lol
Yeah, true, and I have been on for a while. There's no perfect pair of headphones, but I keep hoping...

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #21,813 of 22,483
You even have probably the best amps one can desire. Even more and better bass? I mean, go 2 channel with a subwoofer. The 1266 is already an extreme outlier in how it can recreate bass presence whilst only being a headphone.
Abyss goes into the other direction at the moment, creating new Diana models and reducing the price while going for a more warmer sound signature then that analytical cold one they have started with. I also think that planars have reached a ceiling when it comes to performance, look at the Susvara and 1266, nothing beats them.
I achieved a beautiful midrange with tube rolling (and an R2R DAC and a warmer cable), now it sounds so sweet and magical in the midrange, i'm extremely happy.
I'd go 2 channel if I could. Right now I have two sets of active bookshelfs, but I want floorstandings. It's not possible in my living situation at the moment. I'll probably be moving back to the northeast in the near future, and it won't be possible there either (I'm single, with no kids, so I don't wanna buy a house). I want some headphones that do it all. I've been considering the HE-1, but I dunno. I don't think that would give me what I really want either. I guess I'll just continue to chase the dragon.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #21,814 of 22,483
Hmmm, you can start (and end) so many other hobbies with that much cash (that's a Zeos quote, lol), maybe think about what you might enjoy...

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #21,815 of 22,483
Hmmm, you can start (and end) so many other hobbies with that much cash (that's a Zeos quote, lol), maybe think about what you might enjoy...
That's the problem. I don't enjoy anything 🤷‍♂️

I maxed out headphones (minus the dac). I maxed out my pc (water cooled 4090). The summit is really just a plateau. What do you do when you reached the top? It's a good problem to have, I know, but still I miss the chase. I really need to get into 2 channel I know, but it's not possible at the moment.

I used to think that somebody starting in the hobby should just throw down the dollars and get the TOTL sh!t, but now I dunno any more. It's fun to gradually get better and better equipment. I mean from a monetary standpoint, it's cheaper to just immediately go to the top, but you miss the thrill of the chase. You miss the fun of the upgrades.

Nov 7, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #21,816 of 22,483
I think a problem with our hobby is that a lot of people use music to enjoy equipment, as opposed to using equipment to enjoy music, if you know what I mean. That thrill of the chase is real. I get that. I went from 0 to 100 in a 5 or 6 year span. Those incremental upgrades were revelatory. It was like a religious experience. You gotta understand that music is the world to me. I love music. Music has got me through some very terrible situations. I fall asleep to music. Music is my life. I thought to myself, if I enjoy music so much, I should have the best equipment. I spent the last 5 or so years upping my setup. I wanted more and more and more. I wanted better sound quality and better sound qualify. Then I was so focused on the equipment that I somehow forgot the music. The music is what matters, not the equipment. You can max out your setup. Get the best of the best. But it's the music that is what you are aiming for. It's sometimes forgotten in our hobby, and I'm very guilty of that. But it's the music that matters. Once you reach that plateau, there's nothing left. You can't improve more. All you have left is the music. That is beautiful, but also depressing, if you know what I mean.

Fukk, I'm listening to low quality black metal with $18k headphones. What am I doing? crap makes no sense. Our hobby makes no sense at times. I could easily enjoy those albums with some airpods,, and I have. I dunno; it makes you think 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #21,817 of 22,483
I think a problem with our hobby is that a lot of people use music to enjoy equipment, as opposed to using equipment to enjoy music, if you know what I mean. That thrill of the chase is real. I get that. I went from 0 to 100 in a 5 or 6 year span. Those incremental upgrades were revelatory. It was like a religious experience. You gotta understand that music is the world to me. I love music. Music has got me through some very terrible situations. I fall asleep to music. Music is my life. I thought to myself, if I enjoy music so much, I should have the best equipment. I spent the last 5 or so years upping my setup. I wanted more and more and more. I wanted better sound quality and better sound qualify. Then I was so focused on the equipment that I somehow forgot the music. The music is what matters, not the equipment. You can max out your setup. Get the best of the best. But it's the music that is what you are aiming for. It's sometimes forgotten in our hobby, and I'm very guilty of that. But it's the music that matters. Once you reach that plateau, there's nothing left. You can't improve more. All you have left is the music. That is beautiful, but also depressing, if you know what I mean.

Fukk, I'm listening to low quality black metal with $18k headphones. What am I doing? crap makes no sense. Our hobby makes no sense at times. I could easily enjoy those albums with some airpods,, and I have. I dunno; it makes you think 🤷‍♂️
I understand your sentiment😂 after hitting a certain point there isn't much upgrading one can do. I don't think there is anything wrong with focusing on the gear it is part of the hobby.

It's a good idea to have several hobbies so you can balance out life and not feel stuck if your main hobby plateaus. I enjoy the music and the gear.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #21,818 of 22,483
Relatable :frowning2: . I also had a very hard time this year (personal reasons) and music has helped me a lot. You're a lot further (at the end) of the journey, while i myself think i'm almost there, but also always just to remember the reason why you did the journey, to enjoy music. It's hard to accept stagnation, but if there is nothing to improve then try different things. IEM's, Whisky, VR-gaming, movies / series, etc. Also, more often that not sharing your enthusiastic passion with people is nice.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #21,819 of 22,483
What about caldera? I have heard good things about it but feel it could also be a bit overhyped. I have susvara and 1266 and I'm more interested in trying amps than other headphones at the moment. If I want to "upgrade" from here I'll be looking at shang sr, and aperio but honestly I think those prices are just silly for me and I highly doubt they will truly beat susvara/ab 1266. I agree with ciggavelli at a certain point just enjoy the music. I am still interested in fiddling with gear but I'm very close to being perfectly happy with the setup. I just want to try out a few more amps and find the perfect match for me.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #21,820 of 22,483
What about caldera? I have heard good things about it but feel it could also be a bit overhyped. I have susvara and 1266 and I'm more interested in trying amps than other headphones at the moment. If I want to "upgrade" from here I'll be looking at shang sr, and aperio but honestly I think those prices are just silly for me and I highly doubt they will truly beat susvara/ab 1266. I agree with ciggavelli at a certain point just enjoy the music. I am still interested in fiddling with gear but I'm very close to being perfectly happy with the setup. I just want to try out a few more amps and find the perfect match for me.
I highly recommend the Caldera. I listen to it like every other day. It's my 3rd most listened to pair of headphones behind the TCs and the Shang Sr. It's a great pair of headphones. All of the FR just mix together really well. It's a very smooth sounding pair of headphones. It's a great all around-er.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #21,821 of 22,483
I didn't like the Bravura (or Aperio), i could not really judge the Shangri-La on the junior amp when i heard it, the HE-1 wowed me with its midrange, but nowadays my Susvara does that too. I heard the Caldera and A/B'ed it (on the Ferrum stack) versus the Susvara, it's good, but it's not quite Susvara/1266 level, but it's the best allrounder that i've heard.
Amp rolling is tedious and expensive, hmmm, i didn't went through any true TOTL amps as i "ended" after selling the Ferrums and getting the Envy (which i won't be getting rid of, most likely ever) the best amps are most likely OTC tube TOTL amps with upgraded tubes that shift the tonality the way you want (e.g. 1266 -> warmer signature)...

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #21,822 of 22,483
I highly recommend the Caldera. I listen to it like every other day. It's my 3rd most listened to pair of headphones behind the TCs and the Shang Sr. It's a great pair of headphones. All of the FR just mix together really well. It's a very smooth sounding pair of headphones. It's a great all around-er.
Caldera and shangr sr are the two other headphones I'm really interested in. Zmf's stabilized calderas might be tempting.

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #21,823 of 22,483
How Caldera preform in metal music?

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #21,824 of 22,483
How Caldera preform in metal music?
Good. There aren’t the best at anything, but they do everything well. The TCs have better bass and treble, but the Calderas are smoother. It’s a good contrast to the relatively harsh TCs.

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #21,825 of 22,483
I hate to say it, but I'm kinda getting complacent with the TCs. They are great, and still my favorite headphones ever (and that is saying something given my collection), but I want more. When is the new TOTL Abyss headphone gonna come out? Maybe they can't top the 1266 TC? :thinking:

I want even more bass and better sub-bass extension with a more well-rounded midrange. Keep the treble where it's at. If you can do more stat like resolution, cool, but it's not needed. The TCs aren't up to Shang levels with the treble, but I don't necessarily need that. Maybe it's not possible to top the 1266 TCs, but I hope they can. It's been a while since the TCs have come out. I'd love to hear what Abyss can come up with next.
Have you ever tried IEMs? Take a Raven, Radon6 or the new Volür it will blow your mind in the bass department, really!
These days I don't hear so much with Full Sized headphones because IEMs are so so great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back