The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #21,797 of 22,483
Interesting tube, thanks for sharing.

When I had Empy I thought it actually has good detail. I was comparing with Utopia and HEKse at the time and to me it didn't sound veiled at all and really enjoyable. I was using it with Hugo 2 at the time.

I have no idea how I would react to it now on a totl TC and Utopia system 🤔 I think I'll have to get the Elite to check it out at this level.
So ... literally the day I wrote this a really good offer popped up 20 min drive from my house ...

so here we are 😂

20231105_160546.jpg

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #21,799 of 22,483
Not sure if those are Elite, but original Empy with Cayin it was total disaster almost unlistenable.
Elites and it's a good pairing, signifficantly better than Bliss KTE. Still early days but silver cable open them up with more air.

Which tubes did you test with the Empy?

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #21,801 of 22,483
If I remember correctly it was stock tube.
Ah, ok, I get why it sounded like that. Stock tubes (Gold Lion 300b and Tungsol 6sn7) gel well with OG Utopia for example but with other sets I've tried they sound mediocre. Different 300b and driver tubes sound vasly different to one another. I would think Emyrean with higher end analytical tubes would work really well. Elite certainly does, actually all of my sets work really well with this combo (ER300B + Psvane CV181TII).

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #21,802 of 22,483
Ah, ok, I get why it sounded like that. Stock tubes (Gold Lion 300b and Tungsol 6sn7) gel well with OG Utopia for example but with other sets I've tried they sound mediocre. Different 300b and driver tubes sound vasly different to one another. I would think Emyrean with higher end analytical tubes would work really well. Elite certainly does, actually all of my sets work really well with this combo (ER300B + Psvane CV181TII).
I enjoyed Elite on the Cayin Ha-300b mkii with Elrogs (ER) and Ken-rad drivers. Stock Cayin was not an enjoyable listen with anything really. You could get away with it with 1266 if you had to.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #21,803 of 22,483
I enjoyed Elite on the Cayin Ha-300b mkii with Elrogs (ER) and Ken-rad drivers. Stock Cayin was not an enjoyable listen with anything really. You could get away with it with 1266 if you had to.
Stock was unlistenable for me with 1266 TC ... Elrogs on the other hand synergise amazingly ❤️

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #21,804 of 22,483
I got my custom case from MyCaseBuilder, and the printing is phenomenal! The fit ended up perfect, too--the outer radius of the headband fits snugly in the cutout, which is just how I wanted it--nothing moves around in transit.

As much as I liked all of the designs I came up with before, I ended up pushing the envelope even further with the one I had manufactured. 😎

1000014737.jpg1000014738.jpg

I took this case and one I made for my Nautilus to a local record shop for a photo shoot.
1000014881.jpg

I couldn't be more pleased with how these turned out! Both cases are super fun and functional. Also timely--I'll be taking 1266 to CANJAM SoCal to try on Lotoo Mjolnir and whatever else is around.
what 1/4 4pin xlr adapter is this?

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #21,805 of 22,483
Stock was unlistenable for me with 1266 TC ... Elrogs on the other hand synergise amazingly ❤️
ER + TC is incredible and TM + TC is just another level.

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #21,807 of 22,483
^^^

To touch up on that, I wanted to reiterate how dynamic the TC can be. Sometimes I would find myself adjusting the fit because I felt like I should be hearing more bass slam during parts of a track. The TC simply just has a really high dynamic ceiling. A lot of other headphones, especially mid-fi hit their dynamic ceiling very early, so they always have a lot of bass regardless of song. If you don't hear something on the TC, it's because it's not in the track. That's a true mark of dynamics.

Example:
(Can also see it on YT) but YT kills music lol.

The whole song slams but I wanted to pay special attention to about 1:10 - 1:30. This is actually the part that plays in the preview, luckily.

When the bass in that section gets at its lowest, you would think it would punch hard like it usually does when it's reproducing sub bass, but it actually didn't--there's a nice midbass buzz right after it though. But on the loop when it repeats itself with the vocals, THEN it goes low and hits hard. I'm sure there are a lot of cans that would play this section incorrectly. This is just a small demonstration of what it means to be a dynamic headphone. The TC's dynamics and slam are always there, it's just up to the track to actually bring it out. I feel like that section in the track is a perfect example.

But yeah a lot of times I would just sit there and tweak with the fit to try and get more bass when it's pretty much up to track itself after a certain point.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #21,809 of 22,483
I hate to say it, but I'm kinda getting complacent with the TCs. They are great, and still my favorite headphones ever (and that is saying something given my collection), but I want more. When is the new TOTL Abyss headphone gonna come out? Maybe they can't top the 1266 TC? :thinking:

I want even more bass and better sub-bass extension with a more well-rounded midrange. Keep the treble where it's at. If you can do more stat like resolution, cool, but it's not needed. The TCs aren't up to Shang levels with the treble, but I don't necessarily need that. Maybe it's not possible to top the 1266 TCs, but I hope they can. It's been a while since the TCs have come out. I'd love to hear what Abyss can come up with next.

Nov 6, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #21,810 of 22,483
you are on a wild goose chase lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back