The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #21,841 of 22,483
Wonder if the 1266 and Dianas will be at CJ Dallas...I'm interested.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #21,842 of 22,483
12 o'clock you are doing it wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Measurement fitment ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png

Wonder if the 1266 and Dianas will be at CJ Dallas...I'm interested.
Absolutely, we're sharing a quiet room with Woo Audio.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #21,844 of 22,483
Nov 8, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #21,846 of 22,483
Lorna Shore and Shadow Of Intent Melancholy is great on TC :)

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #21,847 of 22,483
Playing some older Sodom albums and yes for Metal there is still no better headphone!

Well...that's what I'm looking for, the best metal headphone around.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #21,849 of 22,483
Ab 1266 phi tc is an amazing headphone for metal and for most genres. Check out Health - Judgement night on the ab 1266 phi tc at loud volume..

That song slaps no matter what tbf

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #21,850 of 22,483
On the wa33, my understanding is that the "level" knob should be set to LOW for headphones that are rated 90-105dB. Since the Abyss 1266 TC is rated at 88dB, I am curious what people are setting it to. It's right on the boarder and I find that I have to turn the volume down pretty low when it's set to high.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #21,851 of 22,483
That new Vastum sounds great off the TCs. :metal:

FxmrLJA.png

It just came out today, and I've already listened to it twice. Well recommended :L3000:

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #21,852 of 22,483
I'm gonna go off on an existential rant, but bear with me. Does what we listen to even matter? Does the high-end even matter? I'm listending to my TCs right now, listening to Roxy Music :disappointed_relieved: . I just keep thinking, does it even matter? If you can enjoy the music off some sh!tty airpods or something, does it matter? That connection you feel from the music; can you get it with "normal" headphones? I like to think the better headphones bring you closer to the music. The music is more "real." That's why I love the TCs so much; they give me what I'm looking for with headphones. I want that V-shape. I want that bass and treble. But, does it matter? Does it really matter? Our hobby is interesting. We wanna max out our sh!t. Why shouldn't we? We strive for the best possible music, possible. But, I see the layman's situation. If they can get that with some sh!tty headphones, does it matter? What do we want, existentially from headphones? What are we chasing? Is it the music, or is it an emotion? Stats have given me the technical sh!t. I mean, other than bass, they do everything exceptionally, but the bass is the problem. The TCs give us that bass. It could be better, but not better in headphones. They give us the treble. Yeah, it's not estat level, but it's close. Is this the end. Is this the ultimate SQ?

Sorry, I've been in an existential wave these past few days. Can equipment give us want we want? Can equipment and headphones give us what we are missing? Can they fill that gap? I think of headphones like I think of life. Music is everything to me, so why shouldn't I max out my musical enjoyment? Is that the audiophile dilemma? I dunno, just ramblings from a fool. Headphones represent life for some people, and I like to think the Head-fi crew is those people, but what do we really want? What can give us that audiophile climax?

Nov 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #21,853 of 22,483
I'm gonna go off on an existential rant, but bear with me. Does what we listen to even matter? Does the high-end even matter? I'm listending to my TCs right now, listening to Roxy Music :disappointed_relieved: . I just keep thinking, does it even matter? If you can enjoy the music off some sh!tty airpods or something, does it matter? That connection you feel from the music; can you get it with "normal" headphones? I like to think the better headphones bring you closer to the music. The music is more "real." That's why I love the TCs so much; they give me what I'm looking for with headphones. I want that V-shape. I want that bass and treble. But, does it matter? Does it really matter? Our hobby is interesting. We wanna max out our sh!t. Why shouldn't we? We strive for the best possible music, possible. But, I see the layman's situation. If they can get that with some sh!tty headphones, does it matter? What do we want, existentially from headphones? What are we chasing? Is it the music, or is it an emotion? Stats have given me the technical sh!t. I mean, other than bass, they do everything exceptionally, but the bass is the problem. The TCs give us that bass. It could be better, but not better in headphones. They give us the treble. Yeah, it's not estat level, but it's close. Is this the end. Is this the ultimate SQ?

Sorry, I've been in an existential wave these past few days. Can equipment give us want we want? Can equipment and headphones give us what we are missing? Can they fill that gap? I think of headphones like I think of life. Music is everything to me, so why shouldn't I max out my musical enjoyment? Is that the audiophile dilemma? I dunno, just ramblings from a fool. Headphones represent life for some people, and I like to think the Head-fi crew is those people, but what do we really want? What can give us that audiophile climax?
LOL you need to upgrade to speakers and then ask yourself these questions.

For many, it's the journey and all it brings rather than the destination between whatever listening priorities the listener wagers.

I think music should should serve as the source, the bits and bobs, at times, can help quantify the experience.

Nov 10, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #21,854 of 22,483
LOL you need to upgrade to speakers and then ask yourself these questions.

For many, it's the journey and all it brings rather than the destination between whatever listening priorities the listener wagers.

I think music should should serve as the source, the bits and bobs, at times, can help quantify the experience.
Music should definitely be the source. I think we sometimes forget that, but I'm drunk, so what do I know?

I really need to get into speakers. Once I "settle down," I'll get into that sh!t, but my current situation doesn't allow for it. I think speakers are the logical conclusion to a head-fier's journey. It's just that the situation needs to allow for that. I dunno, I've just been thinking about headphones from a "life" perspective. Sh!t makes you think. :thinking:

Nov 10, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #21,855 of 22,483
Music should definitely be the source. I think we sometimes forget that, but I'm drunk, so what do I know?

I really need to get into speakers. Once I "settle down," I'll get into that sh!t, but my current situation doesn't allow for it. I think speakers are the logical conclusion to a head-fier's journey. It's just that the situation needs to allow for that. I dunno, I've just been thinking about headphones from a "life" perspective. Sh!t makes you think. :thinking:
Wax on to your hearts content, it's endearing. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back