The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #20,296 of 22,511
Just gotta say, I've been having a really great time with my 1266's. I've reached a point of total satisfaction.. basically.

It's a blessing to have access to such a beautiful experience whenever I feel the need. Great respect to the folks at abyss for coming up with such an amazing product. Unreal bass, detail, and soundstage. Feels like I'm in another world when I listen to them.

Current setup is Abyss 1266 tc (with custom cable, not sure of brand but came with the 1266's from the original owner, was apparently bought for 1k usd, it was VITAL here for good sub bass) -> luxman p750u (on low gain, I listen at lower volumes and low gain seems to take a bit of harshness off of the highs) -> lampizator golden atlantic (one of the older models, non TRP).

I'm sure many setups could surpass mine, not sharing as a recommendation more just sharing for the nerdiness
Congrats! total satisfaction seems a difficult delusion to attain. Great chain btw.

I'm approaching.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #20,297 of 22,511
Congrats! total satisfaction seems a difficult delusion to attain. Great chain btw.

I'm approaching.
Haha. A difficult delusion to attain puts it perfectly.

A really big part of it was a bit of a shift in philosophy, too - total satisfaction was attained here, but saying that might be a bit misleading.

For quite a while I've had the idea that I would be satisfied once I had the next best thing, or if I spent x amount of money. Ironically, I figured out that was basically the thing keeping me from finding that peak level of satisfaction. If you search to find the perfect sound, you'll also spend your time searching for what's wrong with the current sound... to the extent of making up problems for the heck of it, and ignoring how great they really are in the process.

These headphones have limitations like any other headphone, but where headphones ARE good, these are perfect.

Edit - rewrote to be a bit less intellectual and wordy

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #20,299 of 22,511
Haha. A difficult delusion to attain puts it perfectly.

A really big part of it was a bit of a shift in philosophy, too - total satisfaction was attained here, but saying that might be a bit misleading.

For quite a while I've had the idea that I would be satisfied once I had the next best thing, or if I spent x amount of money. Ironically, I figured out that was basically the thing keeping me from finding that peak level of satisfaction. If you search to find the perfect sound, you'll also spend your time searching for what's wrong with the current sound... to the extent of making up problems for the heck of it, and ignoring how great they really are in the process.

These headphones have limitations like any other headphone, but where headphones ARE good, these are perfect.

Edit - rewrote to be a bit less intellectual and wordy
I am very satisfied with my rig right now.

I sold several of my summitfi headphones and added some not-so-summitfi to a few summitfi, purely going by listening pleasure. TC of course will never get sold, I can say with near 100% certainty, lol.

Don't get upgrade thoughts as frequently at all, other than thinking a bit about the new Zahl and Feliks amps lol.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #20,300 of 22,511

I sold several of my summitfi headphones and added some not-so-summitfi to a few summitfi, purely going by listening pleasure. TC of course will never get sold, I can say with near 100% certainty, lol.

Don't get upgrade thoughts as frequently at all, other than thinking a bit about the new Zahl and Feliks amps lol.

Lol those two alone would be almost $15K but I also am intrigued on how they'll pair with the Susvara and my newest addition coming tomorrow - 1266 TC!

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #20,301 of 22,511

This is where I am at too. I'm more than good on headphones. I only want to try the new Zahl amp as a potential upgrade to my GS-X MK2

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #20,302 of 22,511

Haha. I'll always have the desire to upgrade, but only out of curiosity, instead of what felt like necessity for a long time. I probably won't upgrade anything for at least a year or two though.

Jun 7, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #20,303 of 22,511
Lol those two alone would be almost $15K but I also am intrigued on how they'll pair with the Susvara and my newest addition coming tomorrow - 1266 TC!
Yeah, I am not going by cost.

I just don't find that "chasing the summit" in terms of price or even technical performance alone, is worth it for me. Tonality has a lot to do with my listening pleasure as well, after a certain level of technical achievement has been achieved.

I also doubt whether I can break down listening pleasure to (1) tonality and (2) technical performance alone. Reviews are so subjective.

Sometimes you just click with how a certain headphone does something, you know.

That said, I don't mind splurging as long as it gives me listening pleasure.

Jun 7, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #20,304 of 22,511
Yeah, I am not going by cost.

I just don't find that "chasing the summit" in terms of price or even technical performance alone, is worth it for me. Tonality has a lot to do with my listening pleasure as well, after a certain level of technical achievement has been achieved.

I also doubt whether I can break down listening pleasure to (1) tonality and (2) technical performance alone. Reviews are so subjective.

That said, I don't mind splurging as long as it gives me listening pleasure.

oh I was more referring about myself and interest of those two and why I would probably need to wait or sell some gear for it. Wasn't getting into your wallet.
I also agree with you what you said, I think listening pleasure comes on top of everything but once you get used to a certain level of detail and sonic capabilities it's hard to go back from it so there's a minimum level (that isn't really minimal) that a headphone must provide me in order to stay around.

Best example I can think of as of late - LCD-5 with the GS-X mini and that "grunge" feeling it provided. Still one of my favorite pairings of all time.

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #20,305 of 22,511
oh I was more referring about myself and interest of those two and why I would probably need to wait or sell some gear for it. Wasn't getting into your wallet.
I also agree with you what you said, I think listening pleasure comes on top of everything but once you get used to a certain level of detail and sonic capabilities it's hard to go back from it so there's a minimum level (that isn't really minimal) that a headphone must provide me in order to stay around.

Best example I can think of as of late - LCD-5 with the GS-X mini and that "grunge" feeling it provided. Still one of my favorite pairings of all time.
I can see that.

That bar for minimum acceptable technical performance will vary from person to person, and even within that, some will index for a certain trait more than others. Some prefer all-out resolution, some value dynamics (punch and slam) more, or stage, or timbre, and of course, most seek a necessary combination of all these traits.

What we index for even changes over time.

It's all good, of course.

We are probably diverting this thread too much lol.

My SC cables are arriving soon. Excited.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #20,306 of 22,511
I can see that.

That bar for minimum acceptable technical performance will vary from person to person, and even within that, some will index for a certain trait more than others. Some prefer all-out resolution, some value dynamics (punch and slam) more, or stage, or timbre, and of course, most seek a necessary combination of all these traits.

What we index for even changes over time.

It's all good, of course.

We are probably diverting this thread too much lol.

My SC cables are arriving soon. Excited.
I'd love to hear the comparison! I know for a fact the custom cable I have makes a massive difference.

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #20,307 of 22,511

All you need is some DHT to set it off.

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #20,308 of 22,511

What did you sell, what do you still have and which headphones get the most use. Also, which are the most comfortable?

I’m currently on a journey to find all day comfort multi use headphones. HD800S we’re close but they bother my jaw. Utopia was near perfect sounding, but too heavy and hot on ears.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #20,309 of 22,511
FROM
WP_20191129_10_36_10_Pro.jpg

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #20,310 of 22,511
This is where I am at too. I'm more than good on headphones. I only want to try the new Zahl amp as a potential upgrade to my GS-X MK2

What did you sell, what do you still have and which headphones get the most use. Also, which are the most comfortable?

I’m currently on a journey to find all day comfort multi use headphones. HD800S we’re close but they bother my jaw. Utopia was near perfect sounding, but too heavy and hot on ears.
I sold the Stax headphones, SR1a and the Susvara. Stax were too delicate sounding for me, and not realistic, and I concede "realism" is subjective depending on what you are indexing for. Some may find the liquid nature of their mids and treble realistic. For me without a realistic sense of note weight, I am not engaged in the long run.

SR1a was a harder choice to sell, but I didn't like the form factor and lack of bass extension, and I did find the presentation a tad too forward, and sometimes dry and clinical.

Have sold the PrimaLuna EVO 200 amp and the EVO 400 amp and pre-amp. I owned 3 PrimaLuna units and enjoyed using them while I owned them. They had great synergy with the SR1a, especially the integrated. They were also far too massive for my desk. Have sold a bunch of other speaker amps but that's a long story, probably.

As for non-summit-fiers, I enjoy the Arya Stealth a lot because it gives me that HFM sound, with adequate detail to my ears (really good detail and not just for the price), enormous stage, and it's more forward compared to the Susvara. It checks all my boxes while giving me the HFM sound. I would get the Shang JR which has a nice tuning for my tastes and good bass for a stat, but the build quality is not my cup of tea. The JR is a nice-sounding headphone though.

I added two ZMFs to my collection: the Verite Closed and the Atrium. The Atrium should reach me soon. The VC I already have a video out on. Will listen to it today. I like how it sounds and the closed-back use case is awesome.

I have a Stellia but have added the Celeste, because I find that the Celeste has a cleaner and better-tuned presentation. I even like the subbass to midbass balance of the Celeste more and the difference in resolution is surprisingly small. The Stellia does a few other things better, but this is one case where I am enjoying the Celeste more than the Stellia. Might keep one of the two.

I have also added an HE-6 (6s) and an HE6SE to my collection. I enjoy how upfront, dynamic and aggressive they sound. I understand why many TC owners like the HE6. I might keep either the HE6 6s or the HE6SE.

I have held on to the Utopia. With the right DAC and amp behind it, I love how dynamic it sounds. Drums and riffs on it are so much fun (for me).

I have the TC of course and love it a lot.

I am rocking two DACs. The Holo May is still my favorite having bought and sold other DACs. It has a touch more body and warmth and it suits my TC and Utopia well. I have added the far more clinical Matrix Audio Element X for use with my ZMFs. I have also added a Feliks Euforia AE, which is just lovely with the ZMFs. The Element X > Euforia AE > VC chain is wonderful for all-day listening, genre no bar. Also very comfortable.

All done and ready to go. Awaiting on a bunch of cables to reach me from JPS, DHC, Norne, etc. So that's the system update in a nutshell. Apologies for derailing this thread. Should have done this through a PM to @inseconds99 .

Focusing a lot more on listening enjoyment, finally, lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back