The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #20,268 of 22,461
Recently i heard HE-6 OG full stock, i only hold about 1h, very shouty, harsh, bright sound. Not even close to any 1266 models.
To be fair, you seem to be describing all the properties of an He-6 that is not properly driven here. As most people who have owned one know, the He-6 is a very demanding mistress who would only show her "best parts" in chains that are equipped to feed her what she craves in refined power and current. When properly fed, her scaling powers are stunning.

Note that I am not necessarily arguing that it would "beat" the 1266 TC, as the latter's performance will also be dependent on synergy with particular chains.

May 27, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #20,269 of 22,461
I have watched the tutorial about 1266 fitting from Abyss youtube channel. Quite tricky but I see it would shine with the right fitting.

I think both 1266 TC and HE6 are true gems and worth enough to keep both. (Just my two cents)

Speaking of which, any general agreement for all-rounder speaker amp for these two beasts? What do you think about First Watt J2? I am aiming it for my HE6.

May 27, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #20,270 of 22,461
To be fair, you seem to be describing all the properties of an He-6 that is not properly driven here. As most people who have owned one know, the He-6 is a very demanding mistress who would only show her "best parts" in chains that are equipped to feed her what she craves in refined power and current. When properly fed, her scaling powers are stunning.

Note that I am not necessarily arguing that it would "beat" the 1266 TC, as the latter's performance will also be dependent on synergy with particular chains.
Niimbus don't have power to drive properly HE-6? Lol ok.

May 27, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #20,271 of 22,461
Anyone ever watch ASMR ear cleaning videos with the TC? This is such a punchy and impactful headphone that you really feel every stroke, pluck, drop of water, tap, etc from the TC. Impacts and images like mad. The physicality of this headphone is not limited to the bass. All frequencies can be felt, which is something you don't really get to experience that much. TC brings it out in spades.

Like wow just that short preview. Really gives a new dimension to AMSR/Binaural audio.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #20,272 of 22,461
Niimbus don't have power to drive properly HE-6? Lol ok.
Well then that seems to be precisely the problem. I'm using the Niimbus US4 to drive both He6SE V2 and the 1266 TC, and i am not hearing any of the shoutiness or unpleasantness you have described on the He6SEV2. I unfortunately don't have my OG He-6 to compare, as I sold it long before getting the Niimbus. The OG He-6 could be tuned slightly differently from the He6SE V2 (I give you that), but the two versions share the same specs, so I wouldn't expect many drastic differences in their drivability or synergy when paired with the Niimbus... Incidentally, the OG He-6 seemed to fare pretty well on the V281 (without any harshness or shoutiness although the V281 has less power and refinement than the Niimbus, as I recall)... So there remains a question to be resolved here, and I can't put my finger on exactly what's amiss.

BTW I also use a Sonnet Morpheus DAC in combination with the Niimbus, as I'm sure you're aware.

May 27, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #20,273 of 22,461
Does anyone know how to add your classified listings on your signature? I read the FAQ but is was never mentioned. Please PM.

Side note, selling the Abyss 1266 Phi TC in great condition. Comes with extra pads, adapter, cables. Thanks.

May 29, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #20,274 of 22,461
Guys. I just put my Niimbus US 5 Pro on sale. I am getting so busy atm that I could not spend enough time to enjoy this gem. Letting it go for someone who really need it. One of my favorite paring with Abyss cans.

Check my listing. Very reasonable price. If you are interested, pm me.

May 30, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #20,275 of 22,461
I have watched the tutorial about 1266 fitting from Abyss youtube channel. Quite tricky but I see it would shine with the right fitting.

I think both 1266 TC and HE6 are true gems and worth enough to keep both. (Just my two cents)

Speaking of which, any general agreement for all-rounder speaker amp for these two beasts? What do you think about First Watt J2? I am aiming it for my HE6.
I'm a CFA3 shill as it's a tour de force, however, the J2 is my favorite Pass amp within reason -- was always a really stellar pairing with the (HE-6) Code-6 at the time and brought out the Phi's soul also at the time so I think you'd be quite pleased with both pairings.

May 30, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #20,276 of 22,461
I'm a CFA3 shill as it's a tour de force, however, the J2 is my favorite Pass amp within reason -- was always a really stellar pairing with the (HE-6) Code-6 at the time and brought out the Phi's soul also at the time so I think you'd be quite pleased with both pairings.

Appreciated your help. I am quite certain about J2/HE-6 combo but still doubtful with PHI pairing. With this, I am kinda little bit hold back from J2, at least until I find enough info/impression. But what you commented about J2/PHI is really like a green light to me. I will try talking to Mark.

Thank you!

May 30, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #20,277 of 22,461
Appreciated your help. I am quite certain about J2/HE-6 combo but still doubtful with PHI pairing. With this, I am kinda little bit hold back from J2, at least until I find enough info/impression. But what you commented about J2/PHI is really like a green light to me. I will try talking to Mark.

Thank you!
My bigger recommendation would be keep the HE-9 and exploit the 1266/HE-6 with a tube pre.

May 30, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #20,278 of 22,461
My bigger recommendation would be keep the HE-9 and exploit the 1266/HE-6 with a tube pre.

You mean HE-9 is good enough that adding a tube preamp to HE-9 would be better? Actually HE9 is a preamp/headamp. (No speaker taps) I'm sorry but do I understand correctly?

Any tube pre would you recommend?

May 30, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #20,280 of 22,461
You mean HE-9 is good enough that adding a tube preamp to HE-9 would be better? Actually HE9 is a preamp/headamp. (No speaker taps) I'm sorry but do I understand correctly?

Any tube pre would you recommend?
I believe so. Although it takes particularly more consideration to match-game-mate, the yield of enough tube harmonics to sweeten both planar drivers is greater than the projected change of solid state amplification.

I don't believe there is any better headphone tube pairing for planars than the 300B --sins of commission are entirely in range of acceptability > you will lose a little tight delineation in exchange for a fuller body and more present midrange. The key is choosing provisional quality transformers and power supply requisite.

An alternative route would be EL34 amplification that won't overtly sacrifice in warmth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back