The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #18,196 of 22,434
So how did this go? I didn't see if there was a followup on this. I've been considering the Evo 400. I was thinking Pre-Amp, but i'm curious if the Evo 400 power amp or integrated amp can handle the TC.

I made a more formal impression post in the speaker amp thread here in summit-fi, but any decent speaker amp should do well with the TC. I actually preferred the TC/WA33 combo by a slight margin (best I've ever heard the TC personally), but ultimately the TC sounds great out of a lot of amps. Susvara benefits from a speaker amp more than it does, but a good tube amp does help with the mids a bit for the Abyss.

Oct 24, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #18,197 of 22,434
I made a more formal impression post in the speaker amp thread here in summit-fi, but any decent speaker amp should do well with the TC. I actually preferred the TC/WA33 combo by a slight margin (best I've ever heard the TC personally), but ultimately the TC sounds great out of a lot of amps. Susvara benefits from a speaker amp more than it does, but a good tube amp does help with the mids a bit for the Abyss.

yeah, I ordered the chord ttoby based on some user impressions here.

I asked because I was concerned about safety of plugging headphones into a tube amp (evo 400) speaker post (sounds riskier than doing it with a SS), but then i saw this:

https://www.zynsonix.com/Deluxe-Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_54.html

if the WA33 beats the Evo 400 by only a slight margin, then that seals the deal for me. Evo 400 would have more uses than just headphones.

Ultimately I want something that works well with the TC and keeps the door open for the susvara later or speakers or even the SR1a.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #18,198 of 22,434
yeah, I ordered the chord ttoby based on some user impressions here.

I asked because I was concerned about safety of plugging headphones into a tube amp (evo 400) speaker post (sounds riskier than doing it with a SS), but then i saw this:

https://www.zynsonix.com/Deluxe-Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_54.html

if the WA33 beats the Evo 400 by only a slight margin, then that seals the deal for me. Evo 400 would have more uses than just headphones.

Ultimately I want something that works well with the TC and keeps the door open for the susvara later or speakers or even the SR1a.

Gotcha, yea with a tube (speaker) amp I would be a bit more careful and ensure you have a quality resistor box just to be safe.

And that's exactly why I kept the Evo 400. Plan to use with a speaker system in the future and the performance with the TC was so close to the wa33, and really good with the Sr1a.

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #18,199 of 22,434
Definitely won't bottleneck it but the 1266 scales nicely based on what I've read so you might want to explore other options too. There are some impressions of other people in the thread using the hsa-1b with the 1266 that you could check out by searching. I wouldn't worry about bottlenecking the headphone unless you were using a 789 and some low cost dac
the hsa-1b does a fine job with the TC using the adapter....

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #18,200 of 22,434
Oct 25, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #18,201 of 22,434
Tiny rubber bands on my head strap have gone wimpy. I use a 1/2' foam pad attached under the head strap. It helps but the head strap rests on the metal frame at this point.
Contacted JPS about replacement bands but all they had to offer was a new head strap for $250. Seems overpriced. For a $4500 headphone seems like the original wimpy rubber band is a pretty feeble design feature. Would expect a more accommodating solution than fork $250. Anyone have a hack to solve this problem?
Figure I can just attach a rubber o-ring myself... or fork the $250. Wonder what size o-ring would be best.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #18,202 of 22,434
Tiny rubber bands on my head strap have gone wimpy. I use a 1/2' foam pad attached under the head strap. It helps but the head strap rests on the metal frame at this point.
Contacted JPS about replacement bands but all they had to offer was a new head strap for $250. Seems overpriced. For a $4500 headphone seems like the original wimpy rubber band is a pretty feeble design feature. Would expect a more accommodating solution than fork $250. Anyone have a hack to solve this problem?
Figure I can just attach a rubber o-ring myself... or fork the $250. Wonder what size o-ring would be best.

Look under accessories. They sell a little blue pill for wimpy bands.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #18,203 of 22,434

I'm guessing you don't have the new headband that has replaceable o-rings. If you do, order yourself some replacement #213 O-rings

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #18,204 of 22,434
I agree completely. The headband is not that great to begin with, and $250 is silly. I'd bet some aftermarket company like Dekoni could make a better headband for $100.

Just curious, what foam pad do you use?

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #18,205 of 22,434
Quite a while back was a discussion about tricks to get a better fit and someone was using 1/2" foam rubber so i tried it and it worked well for me. Just bought a small sheet of foam and cut it to size. "Upholstered" it with some 4" wide black vinyl tape. Looks semi funky but provided. 014.JPG a better fit.

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #18,206 of 22,434
Seems possible the new $250 strap might fit OK without needing the mod.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #18,207 of 22,434
I love my TC, but they are pretty funky looking headphones. Your "suspension strap" took it to a whole new level! But hey, if it's comfortable for you, more power to you.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #18,208 of 22,434
Seems possible the new $250 strap might fit OK without needing the mod.
The new headband is very comfortable in my opinion. Much better than the old one. Worth the investment, and no need for such mods. The ability to replace the rings to adjust the fit is a great feature. Abyss should provide a couple of sizes though.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #18,209 of 22,434
[Re-posted from the Formula S thread)

I finally had the chance to do a volume-matched comparison between the FS/P (TT2/M-scaler on DAC duty via superconductor V RCA) and the TT2 dual XLR3 output (with Moon Audio female-to-female XLR3 adapters). The headphone is the 1266 TC + Superconductor HP cable. I struggled with whether I should sell my FS/P stack to free up some funds and try something new (maybe the CRBN?) but I don't think I will be doing that anytime soon.

I used a sound level meter and several test tones (40hz, 250 hz, 1 khz, 2.5 khz ) to make sure the TT2 and FS were matched.

Bass. The FS just gives more present and impactful bass than the TT2. You can feel the oscillations of bass tones and even more sub-bass rumble. It just seems the FS is more interested in delivering the sensation and tactile experience of bass than it is in the tonal accuracy of bass. It's on full display here and bordering on supernatural. Some people talk about bass "grip" and I've always wondered what that referred to. I think I'm starting to understand now, maybe. This doesn't appear to be related to pure power, as TT2 outputs many more watts from its dual XLR compared to the FS. The FS just does a better job squeezing out that last drop in TC's bass technicalities and prowess, and it does so effortlessly.

Mids: Vocals feel slightly warmer, and slightly more forward. Tonally, I'm hearing more body overall. The TT2 conversely does mids with a tiny bit more brightness (and probably correctness) and seems to have an edge in microdetail. The TT2 has a better ability to render actual vocalizations (word-forming, spit bubbles popping, etc). I suppose the slight loss of transparency is the price you pay.

Treble: I'd give this to the TT2, which treats treble a little more delicately. Let's take the hi-hat for example. On some tracks, the TT2 really nails the metallic vibration and coarseness of a drumstick against the hi-hat. The FS seems to focus more on the impact itself with less of the sizzle (more attack, less decay if you will). It might as well be a wooden spoon against that hi-hat. Again, not as delicate as the TT2's handling, and not as realistic. Keep in mind this is with the superconductor HP cable, which to my ears, already imparts a smoother and more subdued treble experience compared to the stock cable, which allowed a little too much energy in that region for my tastes. Who knows, maybe the Formula S actually tones down the stock cable treble juuuuust the right amount and inches it closer to the TT2's handling.

The Formula S / Powerman combo really makes a lot of sense in the context of the TC. I can see why it's been said that this amp tuned for this specific headphone, since it augments its best feature (the bass), while improving on its main two sonic flaws: the distant and slightly cold mids; and the (occasionally) excessive treble energy.

As for other factors like soundstage dimensions, I honestly can't tell the difference -- it's like comparing humongous vs enormous. Let's say it's a tie.

[edit: I went back and assessed the spatial qualities of the FS. I honestly prefer the TT2's overall abilities here. I agree that the TC does have more instrument separation and a wider stage. Also the image seems taller, as well. But the stage on the FS is sadly flatter in the anterior-posterior direction. I can offer a potential explanation for this loss of depth: maybe it's a combination of the mids being brought more forward, along with the stereo separation between instruments/sounds increasing mostly laterally on top of an already wide stage. On the song Lake Street Dive - Use Me Up and Postmodern Juke Box - Hey Ya!, the effect is that the back-up singers sound like they're at your 9- and 3 o'clock, instead of in front of you at your 10 and 2 (on the TT2). I hope that makes some sense. Overall the TT2's spatial handling seems to preserve more realism, which I do value over the stage being wider.

What all this means to me is that as long as I own a 1266 TC, the Formula S / Powerman will stay with it. The TT2 is still impressive and very capable of driving the 1266 (not to mention, being better at showcasing the TC's detail and imaging prowess) but we're talking about obtaining that last 3.298% of peak performance, and I'm fairly confident the Formula S unlocks that (without my having to pay an absurd amount for a WA33). YMMV of course

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #18,210 of 22,434
Thanks for the review, I was thinking of getting the FS/P stack as well, in England it is super expensive £6000+ , still unsure though for the extra 3.3% :cold_sweat:

What genre of music did you try it with?

Side note - how is FS/P with verite open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back