The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #18,226 of 22,374
As previously stated the TCs have literally blown me away, so I started researching a better DAC and Amp or an all in one suitable for them.
I have more or less decided on the Niimbus US5 Pro , with a Qutest. The Qutest may be a short term purchase but I needed to get an affordable DAC.

I just have a couple of concerns . The Niimbus is a Dual Mono amp, and the Qutest does not have Balanced topography. Will I be missing out on something by using RCA as opposed to full XLR implementation? If this is a basic or even a stupid question then accept my apologies in advance :relaxed:
Like my amp will be a fully Balanced amp......the Qutest is not.

Another concern is could the Niimbus - Qutest combination be a bit too revealing? I ask this as the TCs definitely have a bit of high energy at the top end and I am a little averse to this. I love them but they are very revealing. I guess some of the music I listen to might not be the best recorded material and the TCs do not mask this.
Has anyone used the above combination to drive their TCs.

Any guidance as always appreciated
The qutest is on the brighter side of neutral so maybe you need something more dead neutral or warmer

Oct 27, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #18,228 of 22,374
Does anybody try benchmark da3 vs qutest, i have hpa4 for my tc, I have qutest but i don't know if the benchmark dac3 is better than the Qutest?

For the HPA4/TC combo you really want a DAC that can output higher pro audio voltages instead of the standard consumer +4v XLR, so look toward the DA3 or the RME ADI-2 Pro.

Oct 27, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #18,229 of 22,374
As previously stated the TCs have literally blown me away, so I started researching a better DAC and Amp or an all in one suitable for them.
I have more or less decided on the Niimbus US5 Pro , with a Qutest. The Qutest may be a short term purchase but I needed to get an affordable DAC.

I just have a couple of concerns . The Niimbus is a Dual Mono amp, and the Qutest does not have Balanced topography. Will I be missing out on something by using RCA as opposed to full XLR implementation? If this is a basic or even a stupid question then accept my apologies in advance :relaxed:
Like my amp will be a fully Balanced amp......the Qutest is not.

Another concern is could the Niimbus - Qutest combination be a bit too revealing? I ask this as the TCs definitely have a bit of high energy at the top end and I am a little averse to this. I love them but they are very revealing. I guess some of the music I listen to might not be the best recorded material and the TCs do not mask this.
Has anyone used the above combination to drive their TCs.

Any guidance as always appreciated
I am quite sure the Niimbus is dual mono but not fully differential. However, in any case, while technically you may leave performance on the table using a balanced amp with a single ended DAC, you likely won't see this mean in practical application. In some amps, yes. Those which are bridged are a good example, those whom sum single ended output another.

More problematic may be how you find the synergy of Niimbus with Qutest as this is exacerbated coldness. The Qutest is the weak link although all Chord DACs are subpar.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #18,234 of 22,374
Strange, for me is the warmest of Chord DACs.
We can agree there. It is still not R2R warm, and it was a general indictment on Chord DACs as they're too artificial, overtly sharp sounding.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #18,238 of 22,374
Just curious, what DAC's do you usually recommend to go with the CFA3 + 1266?
It would depend on the budget allocated. I like OG Yggdrasil/Walnut,Morpheus,Wavedream,D1.

There is also a difference between neutral character and refinement for synergy. DAVE is terrible compared to Bartok. CFA3 is to a less degree much better than Niimbus.
The match-game mating principle applies though.

Oct 28, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #18,239 of 22,374
Strange, for me is the warmest of Chord DACs.
Having owned all 3 I would say it goes:

Hugo 2/Qutest - bright side of neutral
TT2 - warm
Dave - Neutral

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #18,240 of 22,374
Some great replies so thanks.
I guess this is what I am concerned about. At present the Amp/DAC I have has supposedly a slightly warmer presentation. Even now I can find some brightness (I definitely think I am sensitive to this) so moving to a more revealing amp , maybe I should look at another DAC.
The dealer has been great so far and I am getting his demo Qutest at home for a demo.
The issue is if I dont like it I am without a DAC and unable to listen to my headphones :relaxed::relaxed:

I also think pairing it with the Qutest may give me a false impression of the Niimbus. Maybe I should get a different DAC now and use it with my Burson and then see what i think. However the Burson 3X Reference has a decent DAC........oh so many balls in the air :)

I am making progress with my decision though.....honest but maybe I should try an R2R DAC in my current system first .Only issue is I would be buying blind and I would not be able to return it if I don’t like it

Edit :relaxed: Yesterday I was close to just ordering the Sonnet Morpheus ..................

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back