The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #17,731 of 22,434
Ok mine have just arrived, first of all after unpacking is wow the build quality of these is awesome. I am used to Hifiman HEK so its a bit of a change :relaxed:
Quite tricky to get the fit right , or to even know if you have got the fit right so it will take a bit of experimenting, but after only one minute that bass is SUPERB

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #17,732 of 22,434
Hey guys,

Anything new from Abyss on the horizon?
Any rumors?

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #17,733 of 22,434
Ok mine have just arrived, first of all after unpacking is wow the build quality of these is awesome. I am used to Hifiman HEK so its a bit of a change :relaxed:
Quite tricky to get the fit right , or to even know if you have got the fit right so it will take a bit of experimenting, but after only one minute that bass is SUPERB
If you haven't already, watch this -

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #17,734 of 22,434
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #17,735 of 22,434
Sep 21, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #17,736 of 22,434
If you haven't already, watch this -

Back down the rabbit hole. With all the FOTM FOMO.

Yup. No matter fit position, headband taughtness, pad rotation, gap response, forward/backward cue. Too much fun, such varied acoustic properties.

The most enjoyable experience from top to bottom of any headphone I've ever heard.

Missing zero.
Lana-Del-Rey-Chemtrails-Over-the-Country-Club.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #17,737 of 22,434
Got a 2nd hand original 1266 I can't tell why some of you say it's not good. I thought it would sound like bad bologna. It sounds good to me and like it as much as TC. TC is built better I like the who ever made the pads for original better new guy sucks at sowing. The ring on the bottom of the pad has better placement options. New pads may sound great but doesn't matter when people complain about them falling apart. Pads on my unit just needed some CA glue as the plastic ring glue seal broke. For headphone maybe 10 years pads look fine.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #17,738 of 22,434
Not this year. And that likely isn't a 1266 succession.
Come on abyss with the closed back!

time to put this Dan clark stealth nonsense to bed.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #17,739 of 22,434
Got a 2nd hand original 1266 I can't tell why some of you say it's not good. I thought it would sound like bad bologna. It sounds good to me and like it as much as TC. TC is built better I like the who ever made the pads for original better new guy sucks at sowing. The ring on the bottom of the pad has better placement options. New pads may sound great but doesn't matter when people complain about them falling apart. Pads on my unit just needed some CA glue as the plastic ring glue seal broke. For headphone maybe 10 years pads look fine.
The OG, is definitely the better headphone in terms of that pounding Bass.
Yes, the detail an treble energy might be more in the TC but I'am not after that sound presentation.

Also the OG costs a fraction of the TC, Its definitely the top value headphone, probably Head-Fi's most guarded secret!

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #17,740 of 22,434
The OG, is definitely the better headphone in terms of that pounding Bass.
Yes, the detail an treble energy might be more in the TC but I'am not after that sound presentation.

Also the OG costs a fraction of the TC, Its definitely the top value headphone, probably Head-Fi's most guarded secret!
i have the OG one .may i know your setup position for the bass .thank you

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #17,741 of 22,434
Only Abyss I can’t get the full experience is Diana only because you don’t really have the ability to break the seal. I wish they developed some different form that maybe places tubes inside the pad creating optimal broken seal without breaking the seal around your ear.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #17,742 of 22,434
i have the OG one .may i know your setup position for the bass .thank you
Mike of Woo said he found it fatiguing which I agree but it’s for getting too loud to quickly

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #17,745 of 22,434
Sure, the seam is at 2 o'clock position. Make sure the drivers are parallel to each other sometimes even bend them a little inwards.
You want just enough gap, not too much between the cheeks and the earpads.
oh for now im in the same setup too. before i found 10 and 4 is the most bassy position but the headphone felt insecured and the 3d soundstage and midrange seems went off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back