The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #17,746 of 22,297
Here’s my 10 year unit
image.jpg
the pads after 10 years. If you put the old next to the new pads you’ll see the old ones are a mirror image new ones come all different lol
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #17,748 of 22,297
I'm listening to the Elite and Z1R and they don't loose. Z1R is just for my driving around in, Yes I have a whole headphone rig in my work van. Lucky have a huge power inverter in the back just put in a surge and off I went no more missing my hobby while working. It's not a crazy system but it works. I have to set up the laptop tray to hold my ifi Zen Signature amp and DAC give me easy access. People don't mess with the cable guy all you need is Jim Carey showing up.

Sep 22, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #17,752 of 22,297
Ok a quick post from me. I had about 6 hours listening to my new 1266TC last night and they sound amazing straight out of the box to me. A totally different sound to my HEKs to say the least. The music like slaps you in the face, in a nice way :relaxed:
I am not really a one for comparisons and I do not intend to listen to my HEKs for at least a week as this is the best way for me to hear any differences, however they definitely have more space and air, like the instruments have more room. I am not that good at describing what I hear , but these feel more open for sure. The bass is really good but I have to admit at first it can be a bit overpowering, although I am still playing about with the fit.

My only gripe so far is the comfort. I struggled with this and found the pressure from the headband to be a bit uncomfortable, however this was a 6 hour listening session which I never do. Usually I am 1 to 2 hours at a time (although I do feel that these will increase that :relaxed::relaxed:)
I have watched both of the vidoes about the fit and I will continue to experiment but I did find that every 30 minutes or so I would have to relieve the pressure from the headband. With my HEKs and HD800S I can literally wear them for hours.

This is a big purchase for me and I so want to get them to be more comfortable as I love the sound so far, but I do have 30 days to return them if needed.

Finally the build quality of these is excellent , I mean these things could last for an eternity and I actually like the look of these.

One final thing, yes in the future these may need a better DAC/Amp, but funds are limited right now, but you know this hobby I am already looking :relaxed:So for my source I use my IPhone to stream Tidal, how would I connect my Iphone as a lot of these amps do not have a USB connection, and my apologies if this is a basic question.

Oh they also made me listen to some music that I never ever listen to. Last night was my first ever play of a Diana Krall album and it sounded sublime. Not sure its my thing but the album sounded stunning.

An interesting few days ahead :relaxed:

Just to add I am a Roon subscriber so one of my options would be to get a Roon ready product to act as my streamer/amp.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #17,753 of 22,297
Ok a quick post from me. I had about 6 hours listening to my new 1266TC last night and they sound amazing straight out of the box to me. A totally different sound to my HEKs to say the least. The music like slaps you in the face, in a nice way :relaxed:
I am not really a one for comparisons and I do not intend to listen to my HEKs for at least a week as this is the best way for me to hear any differences, however they definitely have more space and air, like the instruments have more room. I am not that good at describing what I hear , but these feel more open for sure. The bass is really good but I have to admit at first it can be a bit overpowering, although I am still playing about with the fit.

My only gripe so far is the comfort. I struggled with this and found the pressure from the headband to be a bit uncomfortable, however this was a 6 hour listening session which I never do. Usually I am 1 to 2 hours at a time (although I do feel that these will increase that :relaxed::relaxed:)
I have watched both of the vidoes about the fit and I will continue to experiment but I did find that every 30 minutes or so I would have to relieve the pressure from the headband. With my HEKs and HD800S I can literally wear them for hours.

This is a big purchase for me and I so want to get them to be more comfortable as I love the sound so far, but I do have 30 days to return them if needed.

Finally the build quality of these is excellent , I mean these things could last for an eternity and I actually like the look of these.

One final thing, yes in the future these may need a better DAC/Amp, but funds are limited right now, but you know this hobby I am already looking :relaxed:So for my source I use my IPhone to stream Tidal, how would I connect my Iphone as a lot of these amps do not have a USB connection, and my apologies if this is a basic question.

Oh they also made me listen to some music that I never ever listen to. Last night was my first ever play of a Diana Krall album and it sounded sublime. Not sure its my thing but the album sounded stunning.

Just to add I am a Roon subscriber so one of my options would be to get a Roon ready product to act as my streamer/amp.
Ah I wish I already have the TC. It’s painful to wait and read these impressions.

Sep 22, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #17,754 of 22,297
Another new and ecstatic TC user here... 😁 Can someone comment on the correct pin assignment? I need a decent cable for these beauties.
Do you already have them? You can spin the bottom part of the headphone side connector and dismantle the connection to see the pin location then just take apart the amp termination for the same. If you need pics I’ll send them to you today I actually was given a few different cables with my original 1266.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #17,755 of 22,297
Do you already have them? You can spin the bottom part of the headphone side connector and dismantle the connection to see the pin location then just take apart the amp termination for the same. If you need pics I’ll send them to you today I actually was given a few different cables with my original 1266.
Yeah I got them since yesterday. Holy moly, these are monsters driven by a First Watt F6 dual mono. Absolutely amazing, even with that ultra low cost stock cable.

Thanks for offering the pictures. I just got in touch with abyss. Guess it will be easy to say for them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922_121157_com.ebay.kleinanzeigen_edit_112986225159321.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922_121157_com.ebay.kleinanzeigen_edit_112986225159321.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #17,756 of 22,297

Try wearing a hat under your abyss. I find a soft comfortable beanie type hat or even a baseball cap will make the headphones disappear on my head and eliminate any comfort issues.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #17,757 of 22,297
Try wearing a hat under your abyss. I find a soft comfortable beanie type hat or even a baseball cap will make the headphones disappear on my head and eliminate any comfort issues.
Man whilst that may be a solution it is one I am definitely not going to pursue :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:
Thanks for the input though

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #17,758 of 22,297
Since you have the Burson Conductor, perhaps use its preamplifier mode and connect your separate amp to it? Amps won’t have a USB input unless it also has a DAC built in

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #17,759 of 22,297
Since you have the Burson Conductor, perhaps use its preamplifier mode and connect your separate amp to it? Amps won’t have a USB input unless it also has a DAC built in
This could be a possibility I guess, but if I upgrade the amp it is likely that the Burson will be sold. Anyway I dont want to derail this thread again :relaxed: Thanks for your input

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #17,760 of 22,297
Hey there. I found them a bit tight too. I had to bend out the frame a small amount and then they became perfect! There is a video from Abyss on how to bend it but all you have to do is hold it on either side of the curved part and bend it out slightly. A small bend makes a big difference down at the ear so it doesn't take a crazy amount of flexing. You can get it "all day" comfortable by doing this and I almost couldn't stand any of my other over ear headphones for a week or so after doing this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back