The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #16,621 of 22,482
I let my Utopia go 2 years ago (but it went to a good home where vocal music reigns) as the larger scale classical I listen too and the smallish ear cups combined with my large-ish ears eventually convinced me to wait for the next big thing(s) and I already had the Phi for 3 years.The next big thing turned out to be the SR1a and now that I'm living with Susvara to go along with the other two, I think I have the triumvirate I want for my listening.
(Still hangin on to my HD800 & HD800S, classics that got me interested in hi-er-fi phones).

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #16,622 of 22,482
Hi guys, I am happy to report that I finally (after 2years!) got the fit right, trying out various o-rings with the new headband and also the Dekoni nuggets placed left and right. I find them now VERY comfortable as far as headphones go especially since there is 0 pressure on my glasses.

So, bottomline, I decided to keep my ab-1266tc for good now. What was I thinking :).

Another discovery: The AB-1266TC is the best gaming headphone I ever tried. the deep, visceral bass and the soundstage make for a super immersive experience.

Oh- and still using my ifi Pro iCan and no desire to change.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #16,623 of 22,482
Another discovery: The AB-1266TC is the best gaming headphone I ever tried. the deep, visceral bass and the soundstage make for a super immersive experience.
Now it's time for a A16 Smyth Realiser... take the realism to another level!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #16,624 of 22,482
Hi guys, I am happy to report that I finally (after 2years!) got the fit right, trying out various o-rings with the new headband and also the Dekoni nuggets placed left and right. I find them now VERY comfortable as far as headphones go especially since there is 0 pressure on my glasses.

So, bottomline, I decided to keep my ab-1266tc for good now. What was I thinking :).

Oh- and still using my ifi Pro iCan and no desire to change.
The lesson for new owners of the Abyss 1266 series is for you to invest in a bit of time and O-rings to get the fit right ASAP!

I agree about it being an excellent gaming headphone, except that I flip my head around when playing games because I'm an expressive gamer lol. But it's also the best headphone for watching movies. Marvel movies with these are fantastic.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #16,625 of 22,482
I will give a vote for the Dekoni nuggets as well. Helped with the hotspot I was getting. Also moved the fit up a little. Of course with the new headband you can do that with the o-rings.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #16,626 of 22,482
Dragon Lvl3 is another level of sound. I like it better then Formula S and lot of tube options to choose from. My favorite are TAD 12BH7 and Amprexe 6922 gold pins. Amp uses top the line Rike caps and Mundurf.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #16,627 of 22,482
Marvel movies with these are fantastic.
Now I NEED an extension cord! Not "would like" but NEED! :heart_eyes: :gs1000smile:. (We really need a 1266-smiley for us wannabe techno teletubbies!)

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #16,628 of 22,482
Now I NEED an extension cord! Not "would like" but NEED! :heart_eyes: :gs1000smile:. (We really need a 1266-smiley for us wannabe techno teletubbies!)

ABYSS_SMILEY_tiny.png
in thread muck...

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #16,629 of 22,482

I got the very inexpensive Emotiva BasX a-100 for an inexpensive living room set up specifically for PS5 and movies ☺️

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #16,631 of 22,482
You all talking about Susvara and Utopia, you forced me to contact my dealer for a loaner, tomorrow I will get them both, so that I can compare for myself!
I had both for a while and found that 80% of the time I reached for the Abyss TCs, as good as the Susvara's are they are there was just not enough use in them for me to justify keeping both. I don't feel I have lost much by selling the Susvaras. What keeps bugging me though is my demo time spent with the Diana Phis, which for me have a decent percentage of the sound quality of the TC is a gorgeous, compact package. The Diana Phi were a headphone which I was very sad to see go.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #16,632 of 22,482
I had both for a while and found that 80% of the time I reached for the Abyss TCs, as good as the Susvara's are they are there was just not enough use in them for me to justify keeping both. I don't feel I have lost much by selling the Susvaras. What keeps bugging me though is my demo time spent with the Diana Phis, which for me have a decent percentage of the sound quality of the TC is a gorgeous, compact package. The Diana Phi were a headphone which I was very sad to see go.
Very fair point, only time will tell which headphone I will keep the longest for. So far AB-1266 is winning, haha.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #16,633 of 22,482
Dragon Lvl3 is another level of sound. I like it better then Formula S and lot of tube options to choose from. My favorite are TAD 12BH7 and Amprexe 6922 gold pins. Amp uses top the line Rike caps and Mundurf.
Interesting, that amp is on my short list for some tube flavor to go with all my solid state options. Glad you are enjoying it.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #16,634 of 22,482
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back