The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #16,606 of 22,482
Thanks @Palyodgree

I got Moon Audio to make a basic adapter for me with banana plugs on one end and female 4-pin XLR at the other.

You can get one from boutique cable manufacturers as well.

I initially used a DIY version.

Here’s what it looks like: https://www.zynsonix.com/Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_36.html
Btw, just realized I posted the wrong link. You don’t need that box if you are running HPs off speaker taps of a SS amp.

You need something like this: https://lqicables.com/products/balanced-xlr-4-pin-female-to-speaker-taps-banana-plugs-pins

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #16,610 of 22,482
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #16,611 of 22,482
Very nice list! Nice pictures too.

There's more to explore on the IEM side, e.g. Fourte, Legend X, Traillii, Thummim, Erlkonig. You ain't done yet! :)
And if the Abyss YouTube videos are a hint, Sajit may be testing Abyss IEMs before the new year. Fingers crossed!

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #16,612 of 22,482
I had TC twice and sold them both. I had Phi CC and OG sold all. The mids are meh... The bass is distorted in higher volumes. Now I'm so much happy with the Susvara!

What did you drive them with? I found the tc much more resolving with a bigger sound stage and better imaging. Sus does have fuller mids though. However the top to bottom clarity is hard to ignore.

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #16,613 of 22,482
Ranking of most headphones and IEMs I have heard/owned. Just for fun.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amplifys-headphone-ranking-micro-reviews.958512/

Feel free to weigh in with your opinions / feedback.
Great job. As @MatW said all of the top guns in IEM land are missing ( Erlkonig, Traillii, Legend, Legend X, Fourte, A18 and S version, QDC VX and V14, etc). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on a few of them ( for me) to better understand what you are hearing.

Maybe the top Grado HP as well.

Please keep your impressions coming. Tks

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #16,614 of 22,482
Ranking of most headphones and IEMs I have heard/owned. Just for fun.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amplifys-headphone-ranking-micro-reviews.958512/

Feel free to weigh in with your opinions / feedback.
Thanks for a nice balanced review. The Abyss 1266 is the best headphone I’ve ever experienced; the Susvara was on my want list before purchasing the 1266 and I want to give them a listen at some point. I also own the Utopia, Stellia and Clear; I believe the Clear is almost unbeatable at its price point and is (almost) equal to the Utopia in many respects. Had I known how good the Clear actually is, I might have even been tempted to skip the Utopia especially considering the price difference.

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #16,615 of 22,482
Great job. As @MatW said all of the top guns in IEM land are missing ( Erlkonig, Traillii, Legend, Legend X, Fourte, A18 and S version, QDC VX and V14, etc). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on a few of them ( for me) to better understand what you are hearing.

Maybe the top Grado HP as well.

Please keep your impressions coming. Tks
Thanks for reading!

Not an IEM person at all...lol...but I will see if I can get more IEMs to review in the coming days and weeks. :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #16,616 of 22,482
Thanks for reading!

Not an IEM person at all...lol...but I will see if I can get more IEMs to review in the coming days and weeks. :)
Then stick to headphones! :)

I happen to enjoy both, but I can understand why folks prefer one or the other.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #16,617 of 22,482
Thanks for a nice balanced review. The Abyss 1266 is the best headphone I’ve ever experienced; the Susvara was on my want list before purchasing the 1266 and I want to give them a listen at some point. I also own the Utopia, Stellia and Clear; I believe the Clear is almost unbeatable at its price point and is (almost) equal to the Utopia in many respects. Had I known how good the Clear actually is, I might have even been tempted to skip the Utopia especially considering the price difference.
After owning the TC, Susvara and Utopia, I'm selling the Utopia and keeping the other two. The TC and Susvara have such different strengths and weaknesses that the best one just depends on the type of music you are listening to at the moment.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #16,619 of 22,482
After owning the TC, Susvara and Utopia, I'm selling the Utopia and keeping the other two. The TC and Susvara have such different strengths and weaknesses that the best one just depends on the type of music you are listening to at the moment.
…and, to expand on that it also depends on how you want to hear the music you are listening to. For example the Utopia (I believe) shines with intimate small group music like a jazz quartet or solo vocalists. There are times when I’d actually like to minimize heavy bass as another example.

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #16,620 of 22,482
You all talking about Susvara and Utopia, you forced me to contact my dealer for a loaner, tomorrow I will get them both, so that I can compare for myself!
tenor (6).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back