The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #16,576 of 22,430
I have decided to purchase the Abyss 1266 TC from a local dealer , I’ll have to replace my current headphone amplifier of course, my question is what to consider .The dealer highly recommends the Bakoon 13r however it’s single ended I want to use XLR out of my Holo May KTE dac for obvious reasons .

Anyway all this is in early stages I haven’t wrote the check yet though I’ll be grateful for recommendations of a amplifier in the 4-6K range new or used , thank you .
You may want to consider speaker amp options. I use my Chord Etude to power my TC’s to great effect. It also gives me versatility in have a 2 channel speaker system as well.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #16,577 of 22,430
I have decided to purchase the Abyss 1266 TC from a local dealer , I’ll have to replace my current headphone amplifier of course, my question is what to consider .The dealer highly recommends the Bakoon 13r however it’s single ended I want to use XLR out of my Holo May KTE dac for obvious reasons .

Anyway all this is in early stages I haven’t wrote the check yet though I’ll be grateful for recommendations of a amplifier in the 4-6K range new or used , thank you .
I use my 1266 single ended out of my 13r with a converter for my balanced out cable…magical

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #16,578 of 22,430
I use my 1266 single ended out of my 13r with a converter for my balanced out cable…magical
Thank you for your response, the dealer really likes the combination of the 13r and 1266 , I will check it out.

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #16,579 of 22,430
Jul 2, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #16,580 of 22,430
Any recommendations on where to find bigger ones? (And what is the default size called? I need to know so that I know I order larger ones.)
You can order something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GSKKHQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I use the red kit with the universal sizes. I don't know what the default o-ring size is but I know that sizes 214, 215, and 216 all worked for me with the 1266 although I ended up choosing size 214. I tried 213 and it snapped but I'm not sure I put it on correctly. 216 was too big as the headband would push against the metal frame and I didn't need that much height adjustment.

Edit: Oops didn't see all the replies about this before I posted my response

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #16,581 of 22,430
I just talked to Joe, the stock size #213. The next larger size is #214. I ordered 100 of each on Amazon for $17.60. If you want just the stock size it's $8.80 for 100 pieces. Kits can be cheaper but I don't need the other sizes.
I was curious about the “stock” O ring size and found this post using the search function. Joe from Abyss seems to be a definitive source!

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #16,583 of 22,430
Thanks man. These are the only headphones I am very passionate about, lol, so that showed I suppose.
I think your comparison was great. It was a 15 minute review, but it didn’t feel long at all. You hit the important points and kept me interested. I look forward to future videos :L3000:

Jul 3, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #16,585 of 22,430
Speaking of Susvara vs TC:

Excellent review...

Just a few words of caution... Be careful when bumping your rings on the finish of the TCs... The ceramic finish of the TC will scratch. Usually happens when adjusting the toe in.

Thanks for posting the video.

Jul 3, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #16,586 of 22,430
Speaking of Susvara vs TC:

Nice review, man! Had to focus as there seemed to be a lot of "reverb" happening but I got the gist of it. My only recollection of the Susvara - when I had it on loan for a few months - was through the TT2's SE front-end which I know didn't do it justice so I can't offer my own personal judgment or opinion. Overall, I agree with everything you lay out on the review. The only thing I'd mention is that both HPs are so dependent on what amps are driving them. For me, I'm convinced that they both need to be driven by speaker amps to fully realize what they are capable of. I'm not saying at all that they need speaker amps but I know I'm the not only one who espouses speaker amps to realize these HP's to their full potential.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #16,587 of 22,430
A (possibly) silly question on the sideline: If I want to decorate my 1266s, which type of paint is preferable? (In my case, it will be to paint the R blue and the L red, so I can see which side is which when the light is low.)

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #16,588 of 22,430
Nice review, man! Had to focus as there seemed to be a lot of "reverb" happening but I got the gist of it. My only recollection of the Susvara - when I had it on loan for a few months - was through the TT2's SE front-end which I know didn't do it justice so I can't offer my own personal judgment or opinion. Overall, I agree with everything you lay out on the review. The only thing I'd mention is that both HPs are so dependent on what amps are driving them. For me, I'm convinced that they both need to be driven by speaker amps to fully realize what they are capable of. I'm not saying at all that they need speaker amps but I know I'm the not only one who espouses speaker amps to realize these HP's to their full potential.
I agree, man. My experience with speaker amps (esp TOTL stuff) has been a revelation.

On a different note: Sorry about the echo. I removed a lot of furniture in my room recently.

Did the review for fun, so did it in one take, sans editing. Maybe I will redo it later on. Thanks for watching.

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #16,589 of 22,430
I agree, man. My experience with speaker amps (esp TOTL stuff) has been a revelation.

On a different note: Sorry about the echo. I removed a lot of furniture in my room recently.

Did the review for fun, so did it in one take, sans editing. Maybe I will redo it later on. Thanks for watching.
Spontaneity is cool. It's why I love jazz! :L3000: Keep up the great work.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #16,590 of 22,430
Is there a adapter available to drive the 1266s off speaker terminals ? ,…Sajid I too liked your review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back