The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #16,546 of 22,430
My mother listened to my headphones today. She listens to classical music. I let her listen to the Susvara first, thinking that would be the best for classical. She was impressed. She then asked about the "weird looking one", so we tried that one too... Her jaw dropped. According to my mother, the TC is better than the Susvara, and by a landslide too ... :)

Always interesting to get the perspective from people who listen to high-end headphones, for the first time ever.
Did you tell your mom how much of your allowance it cost to buy these cans?

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #16,547 of 22,430
What in particular did she find better? :)
She is not versed in headfi lingo, but I think she spoke mainly about clarity, transparency and soundstage. But basically 'everything'..
Did you tell your mom how much of your allowance it cost to buy these cans?
Haha, my last allowance was probably 25 years ago.. I'd like to think that what they invested in my education back then helped me to earn enough today to enjoy this awesome hobby. For which I'll be grateful forever.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #16,548 of 22,430
I'd like to think that what they invested in my education back then helped me to earn enough today to enjoy this awesome hobby. For which I'll be grateful forever.
And hopefully you can repay them by repeating this wonderful tradition on your own MatW’s

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #16,549 of 22,430
My mother listened to my headphones today. She listens to classical music. I let her listen to the Susvara first, thinking that would be the best for classical. She was impressed. She then asked about the "weird looking one", so we tried that one too... Her jaw dropped. According to my mother, the TC is better than the Susvara, and by a landslide too ... :)

Always interesting to get the perspective from people who listen to high-end headphones, for the first time ever.
not surprising...the TC is far more of an awe inspiring experience...bigger soundstage..more bass etc...not necessarily better but grander

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #16,550 of 22,430

My wife had a similar reaction; she dislikes headphones, but has listened to my Utopia which she claimed to “like”. The Abyss was an OMG for her. She characterized them as sounding “real” and wasn’t in a big hurry to give them back.

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #16,551 of 22,430
I have now had the 1266 for some time, and have played with the pads. My best positions are somewhere around 12 O'clock, somewhat depending on how much bass I want. (I'm a real wide bulb-head). BUT the best position is when I manage to press it down a bit. The O-rubber rings pull it back up again. Any recommendations on where to find bigger ones? (And what is the default size called? I need to know so that I know I order larger ones.)

Another question: I have talked a bit with @mammal and do of course suffer from Bartòk envy at this point. Well, not envy, for I am really happy for him that he has such an awesome DAC. But I am wondering which DACs would do the 1266 and my taste in music the most justice within my budget. If I find something funkalantastically awesome, I will stretch myself to right past 5000 euros or 6k-dollars. But that's not for just "marginally better" but only for plain superior. Otherwise, my budget is more comfortably at half that. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #16,552 of 22,430
I have now had the 1266 for some time, and have played with the pads. My best positions are somewhere around 12 O'clock, somewhat depending on how much bass I want. (I'm a real wide bulb-head). BUT the best position is when I manage to press it down a bit. The O-rubber rings pull it back up again. Any recommendations on where to find bigger ones? (And what is the default size called? I need to know so that I know I order larger ones.)

Another question: I have talked a bit with @mammal and do of course suffer from Bartòk envy at this point. Well, not envy, for I am really happy for him that he has such an awesome DAC. But I am wondering which DACs would do the 1266 and my taste in music the most justice within my budget. If I find something ****alantastically awesome, I will stretch myself to right past 5000 euros or 6k-dollars. But that's not for just "marginally better" but only for plain superior. Otherwise, my budget is more comfortably at half that. Any recommendations?
Wells Audio Cipher

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #16,553 of 22,430
She is not versed in headfi lingo, but I think she spoke mainly about clarity, transparency and soundstage. But basically 'everything'..

Haha, my last allowance was probably 25 years ago.. I'd like to think that what they invested in my education back then helped me to earn enough today to enjoy this awesome hobby. For which I'll be grateful forever.
🙌🏻

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #16,554 of 22,430

Another question: I have talked a bit with @mammal and do of course suffer from Bartòk envy at this point. Well, not envy, for I am really happy for him that he has such an awesome DAC. But I am wondering which DACs would do the 1266 and my taste in music the most justice within my budget. If I find something ****alantastically awesome, I will stretch myself to right past 5000 euros or 6k-dollars. But that's not for just "marginally better" but only for plain superior. Otherwise, my budget is more comfortably at half that. Any recommendations?
Seems like below are best ones you can get for your budget:
- Denafrips Terminator II or Terminator Plus
- Hugo TT2
- Holo Audio May KTE

I personally hadn't heard the Holo May but the experts are comparing the sound quality to Dave already, and most (if not all) reviews have been rave.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #16,555 of 22,430
I have decided to purchase the Abyss 1266 TC from a local dealer , I’ll have to replace my current headphone amplifier of course, my question is what to consider .The dealer highly recommends the Bakoon 13r however it’s single ended I want to use XLR out of my Holo May KTE dac for obvious reasons .

Anyway all this is in early stages I haven’t wrote the check yet though I’ll be grateful for recommendations of a amplifier in the 4-6K range new or used , thank you .

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #16,556 of 22,430
Seems like below are best ones you can get for your budget:
- Denafrips Terminator II or Terminator Plus
- Hugo TT2
- Holo Audio May KTE

I personally hadn't heard the Holo May but the experts are comparing the sound quality to Dave already, and most (if not all) reviews have been rave.
I own it. Love it dearly.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #16,557 of 22,430
I have decided to purchase the Abyss 1266 TC from a local dealer , I’ll have to replace my current headphone amplifier of course, my question is what to consider .The dealer highly recommends the Bakoon 13r however it’s single ended I want to use XLR out of my Holo May KTE dac for obvious reasons .

Anyway all this is in early stages I haven’t wrote the check yet though I’ll be grateful for recommendations of a amplifier in the 4-6K range new or used , thank you .

The usual suspect is the formula/powerman combo.
Check out the Flux Audio Volot and Wells Audio Dragon.
And then you have the speaker amps option too.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #16,558 of 22,430
The usual suspect is the formula/powerman combo.
Check out the Flux Audio Volot and Wells Audio Dragon.
And then you have the speaker amps option too.
@Palyodgree congratulations on the decision to purchase 1266 TCs!! If you have a chance, I would listen to a number of the amps mentioned as I think that you will notice differences. The differences between amps may be more significant than the difference between the SE and balanced outputs on the Holo May.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #16,559 of 22,430
@Palyodgree congratulations on the decision to purchase 1266 TCs!! If you have a chance, I would listen to a number of the amps mentioned as I think that you will notice differences. The differences between amps may be more significant than the difference between the SE and balanced outputs on the Holo May.
It’ll be my third headphone purchase since November of 2020 initially I wasn’t too excited to use headphones however my perceptions were wrong .

yes I understand matching of transducer and amplifier I’ll check what I can out I just need a compass to point in the right direction. I just got a absolutely fabulous pair of XLR interconnects from AudioArt i can’t believe how much that tiny fragile signal was molested with my previous XLR brand of interconnects so I’d very much like to use them ,besides I have to take full advantage of Holo Audios balanced topology.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #16,560 of 22,430
It’ll be my third headphone purchase since November of 2020 initially I wasn’t too excited to use headphones however my perceptions were wrong .

yes I understand matching of transducer and amplifier I’ll check what I can out I just need a compass to point in the right direction. I just got a absolutely fabulous pair of XLR interconnects from AudioArt i can’t believe how much that tiny fragile signal was molested with my previous XLR brand of interconnects so I’d very much like to use them ,besides I have to take full advantage of Holo Audios balanced topology.
Ahh, I understand. The AudioArt cables look awesome. Please do let us know where you land with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back