The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #16,531 of 22,430
I've got a question. I am a budding audiophile. I've had a fair share of entry level cans that fit that description. But there's just something that captivates me when I go downstairs and listen to the same music in my untreated tiny game room with one budget speaker bar and one 300$ subwoofer. The bigger sense of music, the way they're bouncing off the walls and preseting the sound in ways I've never heard in any headphone ever, but most importantly the bass. I feel myself vibrating to the music, playing in to that extra sense of dimensionality. The left and right channels seemlessly blending into one harmonic structure where as with headphones the left ear only hears the left cup (and a tiny fragment of the right if it's an open back). I had to put a few songs on repeat because I was surprised at how the left and right channels on speakers vastly differ from headphones. Have I been hearing the wrong version of the song the whole time? You know what I mean?

But yeah I find it very hard to give up that sense of space and bass. However the woofer moves, thats how my body moves. You can't escape the pressure waves it throws at you. I know what I have is technical garbage compared to the mastery of the TC, and I also know the TC has the best bass, soundstage, and details out of just about everything that produces sound. The TC has been on my list for awhile but even after listening to budget speakers in an untreated room, I'm met with THE best listening experience that I find it hard to go back upstairs and listen to my library with headphones.

Can the TC break this boundary for people like me? I know it wont shake my body like a sub can, and it is more balanced (which is preferred).

Jun 29, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #16,532 of 22,430
I've got a question. I am a budding audiophile. I've had a fair share of entry level cans that fit that description. But there's just something that captivates me when I go downstairs and listen to the same music in my untreated tiny game room with one budget speaker bar and one 300$ subwoofer. The bigger sense of music, the way they're bouncing off the walls and preseting the sound in ways I've never heard in any headphone ever, but most importantly the bass. I feel myself vibrating to the music, playing in to that extra sense of dimensionality. The left and right channels seemlessly blending into one harmonic structure where as with headphones the left ear only hears the left cup (and a tiny fragment of the right if it's an open back). I had to put a few songs on repeat because I was surprised at how the left and right channels on speakers vastly differ from headphones. Have I been hearing the wrong version of the song the whole time? You know what I mean?

But yeah I find it very hard to give up that sense of space and bass. However the woofer moves, thats how my body moves. You can't escape the pressure waves it throws at you. I know what I have is technical garbage compared to the mastery of the TC, and I also know the TC has the best bass, soundstage, and details out of just about everything that produces sound. The TC has been on my list for awhile but even after listening to budget speakers in an untreated room, I'm met with THE best listening experience that I find it hard to go back upstairs and listen to my library with headphones.

Can the TC break this boundary for people like me? I know it wont shake my body like a sub can, and it is more balanced (which is preferred).
It is true that the TC cannot replicate the bone-shaking goodness of a sub, but it it is the best headphone for bass that you can feel as well as hear. I too have owned a kajillion headphones (and some like Stax SR009 which are more detailed but missing the low end impact) but none came closest to the joy I get from sitting a few feet away from big ol 3 way near field monitors but the TC is damn close - AND with the TC you get the brains as well as the brawn as the precision in treble and mids complements the power of the bass. It’s bass with a belt on - not flabby and bloated but tight and punchy. IMHO its the best headphone for people who love music and bass in particular.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #16,533 of 22,430
Finally it's here!
After listening for a few hours, I could easily say the wait is totally worth it. :)
Wow and a total endgame amp to go with it :L3000:

Very nice

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #16,534 of 22,430
Heavenly combo, congrats mate :beyersmile:

LOVE the Rooms stand, must eventually get one as well.

20210220_104001-01.jpeg

If you ever feel like it, I would recommend trying the TC out of the speaker taps of the AIC-10 for another out-of-your-head experience uptick.

I am a bit jealous of your honeymoon stage (although mine has not ended yet after 2 years now lol). Enjoy and please let us know how it goes :)

Would surely try it out of the speaker taps but the thing is, my speaker taps is a Norne Vykari which I think would alter a bit the character of the SC cable.
Yeah, I think you should get your TC a Rooms stand...it's definitely the icing on the cake.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #16,535 of 22,430
Wow and a total endgame amp to go with it :L3000:

Very nice
The enjoyment I get from the AIC-10 driving the TC and Susvara surely took out the itch for me to try other headfi toys...hopefully for a long time.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #16,536 of 22,430
I find it interesting that an amp that is rated at 10/8 should drive the susvara and abyss so well...

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #16,537 of 22,430
Oh wow its nice to see someone else suffering the same amount of time but you win at nearly 5 months lol :beyersmile: :beerchug:

Yeah, my WA234 is only at 3 months now. I knew the original estimate of 6 weeks was fantasy, having talked to other owners, but whatever, I am still enjoying my WA5.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #16,538 of 22,430
On an unrelated note, I stumbled upon this picture. Lots of respect for this gentleman.

209267907_2897076387221526_7884164082228449210_n.jpg

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #16,539 of 22,430
This is surprising. I ordered my TC and got it shipped in about a week, from Audio46. Reached my sister’s house in VA soon after and eventually, my current address, a little later.
Dhaka? I never understood this about having different markets with different prices. I had a friend in the USA order for me (and pay! It was actually an outstanding debt), and ship it here. When I go to abyss.com, I get redirected to eu.abyss.com, a site that charges EU VAT even on orders from countries outside the EU. And you can bet customs will add national VAT once they come in from the EU. Double VAT, and that means serious money in Europe! So it made absolutely no sense to "play by the rules" and order from there. So it's nice for a European to have American friends now and then.

Besides, it was technically by the rules, really, since my friend not only bought it but also paid for it. Purchase from the USA into the USA. That they since sent it to me was their prerogative.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #16,540 of 22,430
Probably depends if the dealer has to order from Abyss, or can fill from stock.
A lot of people are getting discounts from the dealers, but the dealers have to special order from Abyss, and obviously they fill the direct orders first.
I had to wait 12 weeks to get mine, and from what I can tell from my dealer, even direct orders were heavily delayed by a CNC issue, and then Abyss not having the wooden boxes they ship in.
The discount was nice, but imagine the logistic of ordering from a dealer via a friend in the USA and have triple shipping! Abyss->Dealer->Friend->Me

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #16,541 of 22,430
Dhaka? I never understood this about having different markets with different prices. I had a friend in the USA order for me (and pay! It was actually an outstanding debt), and ship it here. When I go to abyss.com, I get redirected to eu.abyss.com, a site that charges EU VAT even on orders from countries outside the EU. And you can bet customs will add national VAT once they come in from the EU. Double VAT, and that means serious money in Europe! So it made absolutely no sense to "play by the rules" and order from there. So it's nice for a European to have American friends now and then.

Besides, it was technically by the rules, really, since my friend not only bought it but also paid for it. Purchase from the USA into the USA. That they since sent it to me was their prerogative.
I live in Dhaka currently but all my siblings still live in the US. I work for an American company in Dhaka and implement US-funded grants.

I buy stuff in the US, have them sent over to my family in the US, and when they visit, they bring stuff to me.

Yes, buying American-made gear can be a pain in the EU. Meanwhile, buying Japanese stuff can be a pain if one is in the US.

I try my best to source from wherever I get good prices.

For instance, Accuphase and Luxman are way more expensive in the US than they are through dealers in Dhaka, shockingly (in a good way).

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #16,542 of 22,430

I use my TC together with a woojer. Another brand is subpak. It basically recreates the subwoofer on your body. Works well for me, it’s like standings in front of the loudspeaker of a live concert, minus the hearing loss.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #16,543 of 22,430
Received my DHC Complement C (copper) cable today, will compare it to Lavricable Grand (silver) in a couple of days (after it is fully burned in). However, off the bat, DHC copper sounds much closer to the stock cable in terms of tonality. Where as Lavricables silver traded bass for mids (which some will like) and improved soundstage/imaging/detail retrieval. Too early to say if DHC copper will open up as well (I hope it does) while keeping the tonality unchanged. Build quality is definitely subpar to Lavricables, not as nice to touch, connector feel less premium, much more scratching on the surface (not microphonics per say, more sound of a hard plastic on a table, where as Lavricables is softer). What DHC does better is bass, but the detail retrieval suffers. To keep the price the same, I got much shorter cable and did not get upgraded plugs, so clearly USA is more expensive than Latvia. Anyway, will give it more time and report back with a review.

camphoto_1804928587.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #16,544 of 22,430
My mother listened to my headphones today. She listens to classical music. I let her listen to the Susvara first, thinking that would be the best for classical. She was impressed. She then asked about the "weird looking one", so we tried that one too... Her jaw dropped. According to my mother, the TC is better than the Susvara, and by a landslide too ... :)

Always interesting to get the perspective from people who listen to high-end headphones, for the first time ever.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #16,545 of 22,430
My mother listened to my headphones today. She listens to classical music. I let her listen to the Susvara first, thinking that would be the best for classical. She was impressed. She then asked about the "weird looking one", so we tried that one too... Her jaw dropped. According to my mother, the TC is better than the Susvara, and by a landslide too ... :)

Always interesting to get the perspective from people who listen to high-end headphones, for the first time ever.
What in particular did she find better? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back