The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #16,501 of 22,482
It was worth the wait for me. Love mine!
I’ll get a good listen in tomorrow, initial impressions, were positive, surprisingly comfortable.
Obviously very resolving, somewhat different tonality than I‘m used to, but I’ll give them a few hours before I start commenting for real on anything sound related.

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #16,502 of 22,482
This came out today, and it's ridiculously good death metal, and of course it sounds great out of the TCs :metal::smiling_imp::alien:

K9vzirD.png

Jun 26, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #16,503 of 22,482
I have an opportunity to demo the Diana Phi, along with the AB-1266 Phi TC which I already own. I am really very impressed by the Diana, the form factor is compact and the headphone itself is probably the best looking headphone I have seen. Vocals are a lot closer than the AB-1266 which has the soundstage and the micro-detail over the Diana, but had I never heard the AB-1266 I would be looking at the Diana as an endgame headphone. The difficulty is that I have to choose one, and I just know I am going to be missing the Diana should that be the one to go. It seems most people go from the Diana to the AB-1266, but I have yet to read of this going the other way, but the more I hear them the more they win me over and its very hard to choose right now.

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #16,504 of 22,482
I have an opportunity to demo the Diana Phi, along with the AB-1266 Phi TC which I already own. I am really very impressed by the Diana, the form factor is compact and the headphone itself is probably the best looking headphone I have seen. Vocals are a lot closer than the AB-1266 which has the soundstage and the micro-detail over the Diana, but had I never heard the AB-1266 I would be looking at the Diana as an endgame headphone. The difficulty is that I have to choose one, and I just know I am going to be missing the Diana should that be the one to go. It seems most people go from the Diana to the AB-1266, but I have yet to read of this going the other way, but the more I hear them the more they win me over and its very hard to choose right now.
I was one of those who went from Diana (V2 not Phi) to AB-1266 and my main motivation was FOMO, I just did not want to be wondering about "as my electronics scale and I get better DACs and AMPs, how much better will AB-1266 become?". I reserve the right to re-purchase Diana's again, when they release a closed back, as then it will have a different function completely (listening at work for example).

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #16,505 of 22,482
This came out today, and it's ridiculously good death metal, and of course it sounds great out of the TCs :metal::smiling_imp::alien:

K9vzirD.png
just the picture itself creeps me out lol......

Jun 27, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #16,506 of 22,482

K9vzirD.png
While listening, death metal makes me to feel angst. That said, your post caused me to find the album and listen to a couple of tracks. Drowned in Malodor was my favorite. Now I'm going to spend some time taking the edge off on the Dark Side Of the Moon. @Ciggavelli thanks for briefly getting me out of my comfort zone.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #16,507 of 22,482
So…my Super Conductor cable arrived yesterday (thanks @qboogie for a nice sales transaction and @Ciggavelli for helpful enabling).I am very leery of what I’ll characterize as “squishy” audiophile terms when describing a new addition but I will go so far as to say it seems like a definite improvement over anything I’ve tried so far. It’s most certainly at the upper end of what I’m willing to pay for a headphone cable but as I commented elsewhere, my wife said I should get it because “of course you should; it‘s like buying fine china and needing the silverware to go with it.” My wife likes nice China and silverware so I guess it’s relatable!

Not a big fan of the separated cables but this one is six feet so it’s not unmanageable; I think anything longer would be super (cable) annoying. Of course it’s well made (it better be at those prices) and it feels like a keeper right off the bat. I will post some actual impressions at some point after much more listening time and a few more comparisons with other cables. I’ll leave the “is it worth it” comments to others but since I was able to purchase from the sales forum I’m very happy!

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #16,509 of 22,482
Jun 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #16,512 of 22,482
Thank you @MatW @paradoxper @Gadget67 for your replies. My wife will be very happy when she hears I bought her something nice for the dining room, but she won't believe me when I tell her I got it off a recommendation from a head-fi forum, haha.

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #16,514 of 22,482
I've been doing some A/B testing with USB cables. In doing so, much time today has been devoted listening to The Perppery Man. This song sounds fantastic on the TCs. Male vocals, female vocals, bass, drums, harmonica, horns, guitars, simplicity and complexity. This one track has so much variation it has been fun in which to dive deeply.
1624826836190.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back