the IPOD RUMORS thread [Updated to the EXTREME]
Aug 25, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #76 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope the ipod touch doesn't adopt the iphone's troublesome recessed headphone port.

I'm hoping Apple will have realized their silly mistake with that headphone port. Even in the Apple stores, they have iPhones set up with long adapter plugged into Bose headphones.... looks so bad.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #77 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah im not a big 'phan' of 'phatty'. it looks disgusting, apple has to continue it's style, the current nano's are beautiful!

stick with them, i say all apple needs to do is increase HD and add support for flacs, for all us audiophiles!

why do you need flac when the ipod supports alac? Transcoding between lossless codecs doesn't affect the quality...

Aug 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #78 of 137
With "phatty" I would rather have it the size of a normal ipod but the thickness of a nano with options for 16gb and 32gb of flash memory

Aug 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #79 of 137
32gb of flash memory is the lowest possible amount that would justify replacing the HDD based ipods...for my use at least.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #80 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope the ipod touch doesn't adopt the iphone's troublesome recessed headphone port.

I think one of the benefits for apple is that they can make more in the accessory market
plainface.gif
, but hopefully they will take that recessed jack away anyway.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #82 of 137
Hard drives have a higher failure rate, being a mechanical device. In addition, hard drives are prone to skipping if the ipod is shaken (but not stirred).

Aug 26, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #83 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the advantage of going to flash?
If they go harddrive they can get like 5x the storage.

Everytime Apple/Jobs announces an Apple product (iPods, iMac, Macbook/Macbook pro), he always brag about how thin or thinner they are. IMO the 30GB iPod is as thin as you can get with HDD. So to continue the tradition of yet another ungodly thinner iPod, the logical step is to use flash.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #84 of 137
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard drives have a higher failure rate, being a mechanical device. In addition, hard drives are prone to skipping if the ipod is shaken (but not stirred).

less demands on the battery, too, so flash will allow for longer playtime between charges. as with many products there are tradeoffs between size, battery life, storage, etc. let's hope apple gives us enough options so that we can choose based on the tradeoffs we're willing to accept.

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #85 of 137
Quote:

Not to mention the fact that flash can survive trauma like being put through a full-cycle washing machine.

I accidentally left my 1G shullfe in my jeans one time...all the way through the dryer!

Came out smelling like the snuggle bear and working just fine. It was actually cleaner too!

The ibuds were a different story...good thing I didn't have any good IED's!

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #86 of 137
I also think unless they can get similar space with flash as the harddrives they should still have harddrive options available

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #87 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think unless they can get similar space with flash as the harddrives they should still have harddrive options available

I am still betting that there will be one more generation HDD players...possibly 160GB this time.

Aug 26, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #88 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still betting that there will be one more generation HDD players...possibly 160GB this time.

oh, i don't think apple's getting rid of HDD ipods...that would be a seriously bad move on their part, given the size of music and video collections these days. until flash-based ipods match HDD ipods in capacity and cost, you can be sure that HDD ipods will be around.

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #89 of 137
Not sure what the cost is on the 32gb flash chips, but my guess is if a 16gb video Nano is feasible, Apple could probably figure a way to make a profit on a 2x16gb (32gb) version.

I guess the most likely upgrades are:

Shuffle: 1gb and 2gb (4gb? unlikely without a screen)
Video Nano: 16gb and 32gb (8gb? too small for video, but a nice size for music and likely an "entry level" price)
True Video: 60/80gb and 120gb

After using an 80gb with 1000 albums on it in my car, I would really like to see voice recognition implemented. Of course I have no idea what this would take, but I do know click wheel navigation in the car is annoying. Wireless sync would be welcome as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back