the IPOD RUMORS thread [Updated to the EXTREME]
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #108 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was never excited about Ipod releases, but this time i'm really curious. Let's see what happens on september 5th. We might be surprised.
16GB flash? Why not? Let's hope for ...

yeah neither, i never used to take part, but since joining here i feel the need!
im quite excited even tho im prob not gonna buy anything, but still!

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #109 of 137
Even though it's usually not earth shattering, it's always interesting to see what Apple comes up with.

I have read a lot of negative comments on the Nano Phatty, but it's pretty easy to see how this could be very similar to the current gen Nano with more economical use of space. Think a little wider and a little shorter. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure people will love the format when they actually use it- Apple usually excels at this form/function stuff.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #112 of 137
I'd like to see something that actually improves the sound quality, all the interface, games, videos and the like is just fluff. Storage is kind of useful, but touchscreens, color, videos etc don't do anything for me at all.
Lets see it have a line out built in, maybe a better headphones amp. oh, and plugins for other file formats, i mean you could even sell them on itunes. want flac? buy our 99c decoder. I'd also like to see a 24 bit Hi res dac in there too..

it's not like coverflow is gonna make my songs sound better is it? also, native gapless, no need for fudging it via itunes, that'd be nice

Aug 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #114 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester
it's not like coverflow is gonna make my songs sound better is it?

no, but many people would like and it would sell units.
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester
also, native gapless, no need for fudging it via itunes, that'd be nice

please explain how to make formats gapless when they are not natively gapless without some software intervention. as mentioned in a recent thread, even LAME needs a software end to make the files gapless (the LAME encoder does the work).

i don't really see a 4GB shuffle, ozz. i think just a MAJOR price drop. those tiny flash players aren't really competing on capacity, since 1GB or 2GB is plenty (especially without a screen), but the shuffle was surpassed long ago in price and needs an adjustment.

Aug 30, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #115 of 137
ask rio... my Karma could do it 3 years ago, with no special encoding needed.

guess there's just not the power in the Ipod cpu? seems unlikely though., maybe not got the technical know how in the Ipod programming team? again, unlikely. It's the one feature apple haven't copied, that I really wish they would.

it's surprising to me that of all the 'enhancements" to the Ipod over the years, I can't think of one that's designed to make it sound better. I mean, the EQ's still suck badly, come on custom EQ can't be that hard can it..

meh.. it'll be pretty to look at at least, whatever it is. I suppose that's the main thing eh

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #116 of 137
i'm not sure of the specifics, but i'm betting your karma used one of the inexact cheating methods described in the FAQ.

you don't think gapless was an improvement? how about lossless? both have been added. if you haven't noticed, the general public isn't that mad about the ipod's sound quality. most people are looking for a good portable and many use with it with the stock or other cheap headphones. the UI is vitally important because everyone notices it. sound quality is (in general) on the back burner. as long as its good, people are happy. it doesn't need to be spectacular.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #117 of 137
what would you guys call you're perfect ipod?

mine:
120gb HD
some flash RAM for us ALAC/Long track people
Better On The Go Playlist Management - I did a research paper at Uni on this, and did all the user testing, and came up with my own prototype menu. Invlves the ability to add a song to any playlist whilst on the go - accessable from now playing screen

IMHO - I dont want to see the iPod become and entertainment system. I wish that even the current 5g/5.5g, didnt have video. I always dreamt the iPod be the best MUSIC PLAYER not all in one video photo games music thing.

So Jobs if you're reading this and want to see my research paper, send me an IM, we can negotiate? $10 million for me, and a free new iPod for all Head-Fi members - sounds fair?

in addition, what if Jobs said 'I am going to market a audiophile iPod, we are gonna talk to RWA and implement his iMod in our iPods, all audiophile iPods come standard with a basic amp and lets sayyyyyy a choice of: cx300, e2c or djays?

lol~ c'mon Jobs, make my day!

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #118 of 137
put it this way.. i never heard a gap once, with any kind of file, where one wasn't meant to be.. all done on the fly by the player. pretty exact if you ask me. Those Rio guys knew their onions for sure.

Gapless on the ipod, well it's a workaround really isn't it? I shouldn't need to tell Itunes if it's a gapless album, it should be able to tell for itself.

lossless, well there was already aiff and wav playback, so that was lossless wasn't it? alac is just apple's take on compressed lossless, but making sure it'll only play on an ipod. Purely to protect market share i'd say.

I was mostly commenting on how it's ironic that the most important aspect of an audio player, *How it sounds*, seems to be the one the public and the creator seem least concerned with. which is a great shame.

(oh and I do have a 4G color and a 5.5G 60gb Video, so know a bit about how they sound.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back