THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Oct 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #32 of 687
Same here, ordered on 19th and in US but not yet received. Super jealous and my gf look at me right next to me get seriously jealous about me being jealous ;p too bad she doesnt get it!

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 687
Remember, the Intruder, like most any amp, needs some time to burn in. The caps need to form etc.. There will be some change in the sound, with it opening up even more and the bass becoming very well defined. I also have found that the sound stage gets very large, on well recorded music but the imaging is still are tight, not spread out.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #36 of 687
Remember, the Intruder, like most any amp, needs some time to burn in. The caps need to form etc.. There will be some change in the sound, with it opening up even more and the bass becoming very well defined. I also have found that the sound stage gets very large, on well recorded music but the imaging is still are tight, not spread out.

If the intruder is anything like the SR71-B then folks will find a real maturing of the sound around the 150 hour mark.. However, wait till you get into the 500's, oh boy!

I recently had someone listen who thought the Blackbird a dark amp, he could not believe he was listening to a Blackbird when he heard mine! There is a delicious opening and clarity that occurs once you get enough hours on it, you really do not feel that your listening to a portable. It actually sounds more like a hybrid tube amp to me, a really good one! I bet knowing the consistency of Rays design philosophy the intruder will be the same if not better!

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #37 of 687
Hi Jamato8, I've been reading on the daily updates and it seems that the Intruder is the right choice for me, indeed.  Today, FEDEX delivered a package from Ray.  I was quite impressed by the very quick turn-around, thanks Ray.  I am liking very much the external appearance, size and weight. I am now charging the unit, as recommended.   I read the discussions regarding the USB cable.   If I may ask and if you can please confirm, which USB type will work?  Thanks!

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #38 of 687
I finally got my unit, which I was very happy for. Then after I charge it fully, I realize the left side of my IEM not getting enough volume, well almost none... I guess I will have to contact Ray for this but too bad I cannot even hear fully the sound of this little guy...

By the way, for new guy sake, which toggle should I change when I use in USB DAC mode connect to my Mac?

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #39 of 687
Quote:
Hi Jamato8, I've been reading on the daily updates and it seems that the Intruder is the right choice for me, indeed.  Today, FEDEX delivered a package from Ray.  I was quite impressed by the very quick turn-around, thanks Ray.  I am liking very much the external appearance, size and weight. I am now charging the unit, as recommended.   I read the discussions regarding the USB cable.   If I may ask and if you can please confirm, which USB type will work?  Thanks!

It uses the standard USB mini.
Quote:
I finally got my unit, which I was very happy for. Then after I charge it fully, I realize the left side of my IEM not getting enough volume, well almost none... I guess I will have to contact Ray for this but too bad I cannot even hear fully the sound of this little guy...

By the way, for new guy sake, which toggle should I change when I use in USB DAC mode connect to my Mac?

Did you check the gain switch? With one for right and one for left, it is easy to have one at low gain and maybe one at medium.  The switch in back is either moved toward the USB connection for usb or toward the 3.5 jack for non usb input.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #40 of 687
Hello jamato8,

I thought it was gain switch for sec and I made sure it is properly located. But still I am not getting any sound coming through. Well I will say almost none. I put it on H on left side and I play it then I can hear little sound coming through. Then as I slowly plug back out my IEM, I can hear from left! but then I get no sound from right... (it is like half plug out...) I feel that it could be the SE output connector issue. I try to contact Ray (email and call) but it seems like he is still in Japan. I guess I will have to wait till he is back. Regarding USB DAC, I was able to figure out and it works out fine in my Windows, but not in my Macbook Air. So I am bit puzzled... 

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #41 of 687
Quote:
Hello jamato8,

I thought it was gain switch for sec and I made sure it is properly located. But still I am not getting any sound coming through. Well I will say almost none. I put it on H on left side and I play it then I can hear little sound coming through. Then as I slowly plug back out my IEM, I can hear from left! but then I get no sound from right... (it is like half plug out...) I feel that it could be the SE output connector issue. I try to contact Ray (email and call) but it seems like he is still in Japan. I guess I will have to wait till he is back. Regarding USB DAC, I was able to figure out and it works out fine in my Windows, but not in my Macbook Air. So I am bit puzzled... 

On the Mac you have to go to preferences, and then to the sound and you will see the USB device. Click on that and it should be fine. I know Ray tests each amp before they go out so I am not sure why no volume on the left. Does that change with the volume control at all? And in high gain for the left, the sound still does not get louder? Is the rear switch set for SE or balanced? 

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #42 of 687
Thanks jamato8 on USB DAC one. It works now! On the issue on my left side, if I turn all the way to the max volume, then I hear the sound somewhat but it is way too low comparably. So even if I set the high gain on left and low on right, I cannot balance the sound. In term of rear switch, I made sure it is on SE. I turn couple of time but same result...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back