Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 29, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #3,257 of 5,538
I am a bit confused about the direction of volume control. I thought the generic approach is to turn clockwise to increase the volume and counter clockwise to decrease volume.

I have come acrossed both front panel volume control or top panel volume control (actually quite often with tube amplifier) with desktop amplifiers and they are always designed to increase volume when you turn the knob clockwise. I am so used to these UI habbbit that it never cone to my mind there are alternative arrangements on volume knob direction.

So who else have installed volume knob on top panel of DAP besides Cayin N8ii? Hiby, Fiio, L&P, Lotoo, .... come to my mind, Can someone confirm the volume knob direction of these DAPs? I am pretty sure HiBy and Fiio M17 follows clockwise to increase volume norm but I didn't pay attention to that particularly.
I do believe when the volume knob is on the side of a DAP, it should be turned upwards to increase volume, down to lower.

Now if you simply shift that volume knob to the upper sided (rotate by 90°) like on the N8II, volume is increased by turning left just as it is now.

However, from a user experience stand point, the logical direction would be right turn (counter clock wise) to increase volume and left turn to decrease. I got confused by this as well.

If you look at desktop equipment where there knob sits on the front panel, you turn right to increase, left to decrease. That's what people are used to. (Even if in this case there knob is again rotated by 90° and actually turns clockwise)

As a long time user experience designer, right turn to increase makes the most sense. I assume that this could be changed by software toggle which does exist in certain DAPs in order to switch the direction.

@Andykong I suggest this to be implemented in a future update as it would improve the user experience.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #3,258 of 5,538
If you look at desktop equipment where there knob sits on the front panel, you turn right to increase, left to decrease. That's what people are used to. (Even if in this case there knob is again rotated by 90° and actually turns clockwise)

As a long time user experience designer, right turn to increase makes the most sense. I assume that this could be changed by software toggle which does exist in certain DAPs in order to switch the direction.

@Andykong I suggest this to be implemented in a future update as it would improve the user experience.

This.

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #3,259 of 5,538
I do believe when the volume knob is on the side of a DAP, it should be turned upwards to increase volume, down to lower.

Now if you simply shift that volume knob to the upper sided (rotate by 90°) like on the N8II, volume is increased by turning left just as it is now.

However, from a user experience stand point, the logical direction would be right turn (counter clock wise) to increase volume and left turn to decrease. I got confused by this as well.

Unless N8ii will introduce a new feature to flip and rotate the screen 180 degrees, we don't see any need to offer an alternative volume adjustment in the current layout. It might offer flexibility to some, but will introduce unnecessary misunderstandings to others.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 29, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #3,260 of 5,538
Unless N8ii will introduce a new feature to flip and rotate the screen 180 degrees, we don't see any need to offer an alternative volume adjustment in the current layout. It might offer flexibility to some, but will introduce unnecessary misunderstandings to others.
Just a software feature with on/off ... 🤔
ON -> Right
OFF -> Left

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,261 of 5,538
agree. any volume knob has face exposed is clockwise direction for turning up the volume. any user should have this in mind and won't confuse.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #3,262 of 5,538
I must admit, it is counter intuitive using the volume when in pocket or sat on desk when the volume wheel is at the back. Even after a few weeks of use I'm still getting used to it. I'm guessing there must be something in the coding / firmware for volume wheel position? Maybe rotation direction could be coded to match screen rotation rather than a digital on / off 'switch'. Eg, if screen=1 then direction=1, if screen=0 then direction=0. There must be some communication between them already or we wouldn't have on screen vol postion based on wheel movement. A 'nice to have' at some point in the future for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #3,263 of 5,538
Screen rotations aka vertical flip ?

Yes, it is a feature of N8ii. I use it all the time. You can even edit it as an icon in drop down menu

You can also enable auto screen rotation , but I don’t like that as it is glitchy. I enjoy locked screen rotation with the vertical flip quick access from the drop down menu

Picture is how I use it with vertical flip to turn the ports upside down

0F7A2292-AA9E-4388-B75F-559C8E8A8936.jpeg

Apr 29, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,264 of 5,538
To counter the loose fitting of my beautiful cover I have placed 2 of those stickers for chair feet to stop them from scratching the floor, and it works very well as the N8ii is now firmly placed and no longer slips out. The effects are 2, one is negative - as you can see the screen cover has lifted badly in one corner and just slightly in the other corner whereas before it adhered perfectly, and the other one is highly positive - the N8ii is surprisingly cool even after hours of playing, so for those of you who listen and charge at the same time and consequently have the heat dissipation effect this is a recommendable solution.

Attachments

• Loose cover & heat dissipation  solution.jpg
    Loose cover & heat dissipation solution.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #3,266 of 5,538
If they can make the feedback of the volume button more forceful and tighter, I think it would be better and feel more quality.
Agreed. A little late for that now, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back