Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 30, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #3,286 of 5,547
On cold start (after the device has been turned off for several hours or overnight), i get no sound in the left channel after boot up. Anyone else have this issue?

Initailly, i thought it was my IEM. Then I tried with other IEMs, and the problem persisted.

About a minute or so after boot up, and after closing and restarting the player apps several times, the sound comes back on. This happened every time and i've only had the device for a few days now.

@Andykong Is this normal?
I have the same issue too, no sound from right channel when I tune in first thing in the morning or even during the day after I've not used it for a few hours, it happens with UAPP or even with no player as well like BBC Sounds so UAPP is irrelevant, it's a hardware issue, so I switch back and forth from SS to Tube and eventually after about 10-20 minutes the right channel works fine. Andykong gave me an explanation at post 2,955 19th April.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #3,287 of 5,547
I have the same issue too, no sound from right channel when I tune in first thing in the morning or even during the day after I've not used it for a few hours, it happens with UAPP or even with no player as well like BBC Sounds so UAPP is irrelevant, it's a hardware issue, so I switch back and forth from SS to Tube and eventually after about 10-20 minutes the right channel works fine. Andykong gave me an explanation at post 2,955 19th April.
OK looked it up
So it's warming up time of the tubes ... ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-29-23-12-01-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-29-23-12-01-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #3,288 of 5,547
Just to clarify this only happens in Tube mode, if I switch on first thing in the morning to SS it works fine from beginning, so it's a Tubes symptom that sets right after about 10-20 mins of warming up.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #3,289 of 5,547
Just to clarify this only happens in Tube mode, if I switch on first thing in the morning to SS it works fine from beginning, so it's a Tubes symptom that sets right after about 10-20 mins of warming up.
Do the NuTube take 20 minutes of warming up after you switch them on ?
Or is it 20 minutes after using the N8II in total ?
Is this the same for the C9 ... ?

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #3,290 of 5,547
Mine happens both in ss and tube mode. I don't think it's a distortion. I have no sound in the left channel. Not sure if UAPP is causing it or the DAP. Gonna try again in the morning with another app.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #3,291 of 5,547
Mine happens both in ss and tube mode. I don't think it's a distortion. I have no sound in the left channel. Not sure if UAPP is causing it or the DAP. Gonna try again in the morning with another app.
I agree, it isn't a distortion, it's a normal symptom of Tubes warming upland from what I understand related to their alignment, but it's strange that you should experience it in SS mode as well, for me SS works with no distortion or absence of sound from either channel right from when I switch on first thing in the morning, it's only in Tube mode that both channels start to produce undistorted sound after 10-20 minutes.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #3,292 of 5,547
Either one, Tubes alone or N8ii in total switching from SS to Tubes till I get undistorted Tube sound. Regarding C9 I don't have one so can't help you out there.

Apr 30, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #3,296 of 5,547
AnalogandDigital:
No my C9 does not have this problem. I don’t think yours will either.
My N8ii is still going through burn in, completes soon. But out of the box I do not remember having this issue but will be interesting to see if it does once I’m able to shut down and restart fresh.

Apr 30, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #3,297 of 5,547
First thing in the morning yes, during the day less.
Does it have a morning
AnalogandDigital:
No my C9 does not have this problem. I don’t think yours will either.
My N8ii is still going through burn in, completes soon. But out of the box I do not remember having this issue but will be interesting to see if it does once I’m able to shut down and restart fresh.
Haven't bought yet
My C9 has arrived
Got 2 N8II offered but ... it's a risk going used ... 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back