Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 28, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #3,241 of 5,547
Finally able to do something interesting 🤔. Thanks to Steve and his enthusiasm.
You can read the link above for more info

I am very happy to be able to utilize all CPU cores for audio apps. Time to tinker with some battery saving that is non audio related
78108933-1339-4BCC-9B37-C535CC3AF635.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,243 of 5,547
I am kind of a minimalist, less is more kind of guy, I feel the more items in the sound chain you may gain power and other things but coloration of the original creeps in, even the connecting wires... so I kind of appreciate the N8ii all in one ability to deliver decent drive intense musicality and natural presentation.
In my case I find the Hdb P AB Tube to be most satisfying, fuller well focused sound and wider sound stage and please if you are not streaming turn off the WiFi and you will immediately hear a very reasonable improvement in the sound, assuming the headphones and cables connecting it to the DAP can reveal that. And please don't forget the microSD card, get one that at least can go upto 160mb/sec read speed, if you play local files, most of the pro-versions of these cards will do that ...you will definitely hear a difference
ECKHUAAA

Thanks for the feedback

for using the C9, have taken great pains to minimize negative impacts including higher spec IC cables, running Line Out bypassing to true Pre-Amp modes on the "source", and Pre-In on the C9 bypassing its Pre-Amp/volume controls, just as a point of reference of my comments.
At Plus 60 hrs of burn in and I normally don't listen in (so brain burn-in doesn't become a factor) but could not resist, and there are changes taking place I can actually hear already.

For your N8ii specific suggestions, already doing many of the things you mentioned for the N8ii, so fully agree with you.
Especially in the area of using the better MicroSD cards!

Thank you again for your feedback
This is why I enjoy this forum, many willing to help others!

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #3,244 of 5,547
I am a bit confused about the direction of volume control. I thought the generic approach is to turn clockwise to increase the volume and counter clockwise to decrease volume.

I have come acrossed both front panel volume control or top panel volume control (actually quite often with tube amplifier) with desktop amplifiers and they are always designed to increase volume when you turn the knob clockwise. I am so used to these UI habbbit that it never cone to my mind there are alternative arrangements on volume knob direction.

So who else have installed volume knob on top panel of DAP besides Cayin N8ii? Hiby, Fiio, L&P, Lotoo, .... come to my mind, Can someone confirm the volume knob direction of these DAPs? I am pretty sure HiBy and Fiio M17 follows clockwise to increase volume norm but I didn't pay attention to that particularly.
Andykong

Lotoo DAPs offer the ability to change Volume knob direction to go with the UI screen flip, that I have found convenient when connecting to external amp and short IC cables, to as you noted keep the volume knob direction rotating as person expects when the turn the device upside down.
Just speculating but wonder if people are asking as they intend to use the N8ii in a different orientation also?

Hope this info helps.

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #3,245 of 5,547
Apr 28, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #3,247 of 5,547
Any observations on using the n8ii with Cayin's C9? Thanks!

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,249 of 5,547
Finally able to do something interesting 🤔. Thanks to Steve and his enthusiasm.
You can read the link above for more info

I am very happy to be able to utilize all CPU cores for audio apps. Time to tinker with some battery saving that is non audio related
78108933-1339-4BCC-9B37-C535CC3AF635.jpeg
but need to root again if cayin has another firmware update?

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #3,252 of 5,547
Any observations on using the n8ii with Cayin's C9? Thanks!
NYanakiev

Already owned the C9 and what prompted me to buy the N8ii
Once I'm done with burn in and configs, that is one of the test I look forward to trying but have seen others earlier in this post state while there is some improvement, they can't in good faith recommend someone go out and purchase both
Since I already own a C9, well....
Hopefully I can run this testing soon.

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #3,253 of 5,547
NYanakiev

Already owned the C9 and what prompted me to buy the N8ii
Once I'm done with burn in and configs, that is one of the test I look forward to trying but have seen others earlier in this post state while there is some improvement, they can't in good faith recommend someone go out and purchase both
Since I already own a C9, well....
Hopefully I can run this testing soon.
Same here
N8II next ... 😉

Apr 28, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #3,255 of 5,547

Users who are viewing this thread

Back