Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #3,211 of 5,571
That is a surprise, I was under the impression that your unit has a bad battery. So you can't get the player to turn on after the battery drain, but your dealer can wake up the player after charging it?
I know Cayin is working out issues with battery and charging non of which affects me so far. But I hope while they do this we may end up with an even better sounding unit!

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #3,212 of 5,571
I know Cayin is working out issues with battery and charging non of which affects me so far. But I hope while they do this we may end up with an even better sounding unit!
Sure!
1651096261241.jpeg

Apr 27, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #3,213 of 5,571
Based on the recommendation from @twister6 , I bought an OTG USB-C to USB-B cable OTG cable from Amazon to pair N8ii to my Chord Hugo MScaler and I can happily report that it works great. Almost as good as my streamer. Very happy. This will be the cable I used to use my N8ii to demo other Desktop systems as most vendors have a DAC that can take a USB input.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MDCBSFY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For tube amps which tend to have RCA inputs, I have found the 3.5mm to RCA cable works best. I have a 4.4mm to dual 3pin XLR coming next month. Will see if that makes any difference in pairing with a solid state amp. I was not that happy going 3.5mm to RCA to my Ferrum Orr.

(note: Originally posted in wrong forum)

Apr 27, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #3,214 of 5,571
Hey all, finally got my Jewel customs back from adjustment. Paired with the Orpheus and N8ii is wild. Staggering really, just mind-blowing. Best mids detail and layering I've heard. Vocals are amazing. HG, P+, Tube Timbre is woah. (Candace Springs is Woah on anything though, best new female jazz vocalist in many years IMO)

20220427_170923.jpg

Apr 27, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #3,215 of 5,571
Hey all, finally got my Jewel customs back from adjustment. Paired with the Orpheus and N8ii is wild. Staggering really, just mind-blowing. Best mids detail and layering I've heard. Vocals are amazing. HG, P+, Tube Timbre is woah. (Candace Springs is Woah on anything though, best new female jazz vocalist in many years IMO)

20220427_170923.jpg
You and I both !! My mind was blown by how amazing the N8ii is , simply stunning :)

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #3,216 of 5,571

20220427_170923.jpg
jewel needs high gain and p+?

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #3,217 of 5,571
Apr 27, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3,218 of 5,571
jewel needs high gain and p+?

I always use the lowest gain possible. Users when able should volume match to see if there's an actual difference. Otherwise, you'd just be introducing more noise for no reason.

But at the end of the day, whatever floats your boat 😄🙃

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #3,219 of 5,571
N8ii is so multifaceted with all the different modes that actually sound different in a meaningful way.

I much prefer this type of versatility over swappable amp modules.

I actually feel like it's a decent investment. A feeling I rarely experience these days with outrageously priced audio gear.

70s bad recording sounded terrible though 🤣😂.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,220 of 5,571
Why can’t we change the direction of rotation of the volume wheel? On every single DAP I own I have right-up and left-down for the volume. On the N8II it seems to be locked in the wrong (for me) way, so I keep getting the up-down direction wrong. I can’t even get used to it because I still use my Lotoo’s, and they give you both options

I am a bit confused about the direction of volume control. I thought the generic approach is to turn clockwise to increase the volume and counter clockwise to decrease volume.

I have come acrossed both front panel volume control or top panel volume control (actually quite often with tube amplifier) with desktop amplifiers and they are always designed to increase volume when you turn the knob clockwise. I am so used to these UI habbbit that it never cone to my mind there are alternative arrangements on volume knob direction.

So who else have installed volume knob on top panel of DAP besides Cayin N8ii? Hiby, Fiio, L&P, Lotoo, .... come to my mind, Can someone confirm the volume knob direction of these DAPs? I am pretty sure HiBy and Fiio M17 follows clockwise to increase volume norm but I didn't pay attention to that particularly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #3,221 of 5,571
I am a bit confused about the direction of volume control. I thought the generic approach is to turn clockwise to increase the volume and counter clockwise to decrease volume.

I have come acrossed both front panel volume control or top panel volume control (actually quite often with tube amplifier) with desktop amplifiers and they are always designed to increase volume when you turn the knob clockwise. I am so used to these UI habbbit that it never cone to my mind there are alternative arrangements on volume knob direction.

So who else have installed volume knob on top panel of DAP besides Cayin N8ii? Hiby, Fiio, L&P, Lotoo, .... come to my mind, Can someone confirm the volume knob direction of these DAPs? I am pretty sure HiBy and Fiio M17 follows clockwise to increase volume norm but I didn't pay attention to that particularly.
Ja, can confirm my Fiio M17 turns clockwise to increase and counter to decrease. But I think the gist is there a way to switch volume increase/decrease direction via settings?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #3,222 of 5,571
if the top of volume knob is covered (not exposed, like those discmans or walkmans in 80s) and you only be able to turn on its side then turning anti clockwise (right) to increase volume makes sense. if the top is not covered then turning clockwise is the correct way

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #3,224 of 5,571
Apr 27, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #3,225 of 5,571

I am ok with the volume dial, but I do wish the power button was positioned a bit different.

I know the power button is bigger, but with the the "debossed" button prints on the case, they're all the same and placed too close together. Minor annoyance when you're frequently turning the screen on and off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back