Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,396 of 5,538
The best way I can personally describe the overall tonality of this DAP is just neutral with... lots.... of detail. It doesn't come off as bright to me as others have stated. I have a wide range of IEMs and most of them lean bright and I'm not having issues here at all. It is a revealing DAP though, do not expect big thick notes or high level of musicality, although the bass texture is damn wonderful.

Absolutely no hiss or interference using tubes even when downloading my whole Spotify library or having an active internet connection, this was a problem on the SP2000 T.

The side panels where the tubes are exposed are fingerprint magnets.

DAP speed is blazing fast. Screen has double tap-to-wake. You can turn off the circle light button if you want to.

It's a thick DAP but easily pocketable for me and the weight is fine.

Can't wait to see how it matures over time.

This might be the DAP that makes me sell my beloved DX240. </3

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #1,397 of 5,538
The best way I can personally describe the overall tonality of this DAP is just neutral with... lots.... of detail. It doesn't come off as bright to me as others have stated. I have a wide range of IEMs and most of them lean bright and I'm not having issues here at all. It is a revealing DAP though, do not expect big thick notes or high level of musicality, although the bass texture is damn wonderful.

Absolutely no hiss or interference using tubes even when downloading my whole Spotify library or having an active internet connection, this was a problem on the SP2000 T.

DAP speed is blazing fast. Screen has double tap-to-wake. You can turn off the circle light button if you want to.

It is really really good.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #1,398 of 5,538
Mar 15, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,399 of 5,538

Is it punchy like DX240?

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,400 of 5,538

Interesting. This makes me feel like I made the right call with the M9.

Mar 15, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,401 of 5,538
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,403 of 5,538
Mine should arrive in the second batch, shipping tomorrow... after an exhausting week at work so far (ISO9001 audit...) this will be a great reward :p

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,404 of 5,538
P/P+ adjusts operating voltage, bumping the voltage rails up. It is not a gain control – when you toggle P/P+, there is no increase to listening volume or loudness. Large dynamics become more confidently reproduced with P+, versus the softer, sweeter take that P gives you. You'll be able to switch between the two modes for synergy with different IEMs and particularly headphones.

In single-ended mode, P+ swings go up to seven volts. The N8ii is a bridge-tied load player, and positive and negative phases both function as output. This in particular benefits the balanced P+ implementation to double in voltage swing, and go over 10 volts for a very confident presentation with bigger headphones.

Just remember, P/P+ is not a gain/loudness control. N8ii has a dedicated gain control for L, M and H.

1647367354970.png

A very good explanation on Dual Output Mode. Thank you.

In short , when you switch from P to P+, you will increase the power output of headphone amplifier circuit, but a high power won't increase volume until you turn up the volume knob. In most case, the extra power will only provide more headroom, it doesn't necessarily make a lot of different immediately. Its like if you were driving 50km per hour, it doesn't really matter whether you are driving a "regular" Porsche 911 or 911 GT3. The benefit of extra power, in regardless of a car or an amplifier, will only exhibit when you drive it hard. For an amplifier, that means at difficult load, or with demanding music.

The following table compare the power of P and P+ in different loading. I'll stick with rated output power because users are normally more familiar with the numbers of output power and they can make more sense out of this. Basically The output of N8ii headphone amp. is topped at 3.92V at single-ended and 4.9V at balanced. As you can see at some loading when the reguilar P mode is approaching this output already, the P+ didn't really offer any significant advantage in terms of extra output power.

Since wer are on the subject of optput power, I have included C9 output power for reference. I really enjoy the spirit of this thread, but at the same time, I want to remain realistic. At certain cirumstaneous (e.g., handling demaing load), C9 has a noticeable edge.

1647365099482.png

From Cayin perspecitve, if high output power is the sole or major objective, than offer a super high gain mode is a much more cost effective solution. Dual output mode is a fairly complicate and "expensive" implementation to increase output power and Cayin is never very ambitious on the output powe game with DAP. We believe there are other prioritiy items before offering high output power from our DAP.

The Dual Output mode is about "playing" with power supply to an amplification circuit. Power is the foundation of High Fidelity Audio. This is a statement that experienced audiophiles and audio engineers will recognize wholeheartedly. After all, the game of high fidelity audio is ultimately transformation of electrical energy into sound wave. When we adjust operating voltage of N8ii headphone amplifier, we changed its output power, it sound signature, and a lot of quality attributes of the playback. I advise all N8ii users to give this a try with all your IEM, but don't focus on the extra millwatt, its the quality and sound signature that matters.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,406 of 5,538
DAP : Cayin N8ii (pre-ordered) | FiiO M17 |

David...I can't wait to hear your comparison between these two devices. Should ultimately be a "finesse" vs "power" battle :)

I'm not going to be transporting this so size makes no difference...but I have some pretty potent (over ear) headphones and nearly all DSD material---so I think I'm going to hear the finesse difference for sure. I also have a Conrad Johnson tube preamplifier in my home setup, so I'm definitely of that flavor.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,407 of 5,538
Mine should arrive in the second batch, shipping tomorrow... after an exhausting week at work so far (ISO9001 audit...) this will be a great reward :p

Was that an update from Musictek/Andrew? Assumed he would finish shipping pre-orders that he didn't get to yesterday today until stock was out....and then any remaining pre-orders (if any) would be waiting for next delivery from Cayin/Hong Kong. I hadn't seen a ship notice yet today, was going to poke Musictek by EOD......cool beans if you already checked.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,409 of 5,538
Was that an update from Musictek/Andrew? Assumed he would finish shipping pre-orders that he didn't get to yesterday today until stock was out....and then any remaining pre-orders (if any) would be waiting for next delivery from Cayin/Hong Kong. I hadn't seen a ship notice yet today, was going to poke Musictek by EOD......cool beans if you already checked.
I was among the preorders actually, just not the first ones, DHL delivered to Andrew a first batch and a second is coming right after (sometime today) that's where mine is :) It's technically a group shipment that is split if I understood correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back