The Incoherent Rambling Room
Feb 12, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #766 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol you havent read all joker,s review?

my woodies are in the process to be filled with some Ortho drivers 
evil_smiley.gif
 this time with a grado headband, if it work, im gonna use them for real!

It won't work - just stop now.

Hooray for optimism!

I've tried them in everything and I'm telling you that those orthos will sound like bassless crap in his woodies but go ahead and waste your time, James.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #767 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Hooray for optimism!

I've tried them in everything and I'm telling you that those orthos will sound like bassless crap in his woodies but go ahead and waste your time, James.

...he's right. Ideally, there should be the least space behind the driver as possible in a woodie puck for bass.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #768 of 1,250
Feb 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #769 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Hooray for optimism!

it will sound, for good or bad. orthos are a PITA and i have to read that ortho thread soonish

I'm just trying to convey what I've learned from experiance. And if you do go to the ortho thread disregard everything in the begining about them only sounding good in an open can. They later do a 180 and say the opposite.

And just remember that I offered you these badass 40mm gold plated drivers and you refused me... *sniff*

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #770 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Hooray for optimism!

it will sound, for good or bad. orthos are a PITA and i have to read that ortho thread soonish

I'm just trying to convey what I've learned from experiance. And if you do go to the ortho thread disregard everything in the begining about them only sounding good in an open can. They later do a 180 and say the opposite.

And just remember that I offered you these badass 40mm gold plated drivers and you refused me... *sniff*

no you did not!

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #772 of 1,250
FiiO has some really well-priced offerings for portable amps. I think its kind of silly paying loads of money for a high end model that's only marginally better than a <$100 FiiO

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #776 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Portable Amps are a joke.....................

i agree. unless you use them with your computer and carry them along in the computer bag. but a player + an amp ( 1 KG in your pocket) is  joke. 

imo any headphone that need an amp, isnt portable

I don't think they're a joke, they perform their intended purpose. The thing is, people expect too much from them. Most of them are meant to amp IEM's and sensitive headphones. Anyone that expects their portable amp to drive their K701's or HD650's wonderfully is delusional. They may be overpriced for their performance, but to call them a joke is unfair. The top amps sound great, sure, but only 10% better than ones than my Mini3 did. Excess, especially in the $300+ range? Sure.

Although I think my K4's are a wonderful exception to the stereotype saying that all small headphones are easy to drive. They're about 1/6th the size of my K271's but twice as hard to drive.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #778 of 1,250
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

Hooray for optimism!

no you did not!

... ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These Ultrasone's are pissing me off. They sound OK, good even but $70 good? Not even close. I pity those that paid the full $100 for them. I REALLY wish I would have read ljokerl's review before I bought them.

McProgger, you think these drivers would sound good in your woodies?

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #779 of 1,250
And I have to disagree with the majority here on portable amps. They're not just for pushing hard to drive phones. They free up the power supply in your source GREATLY so it can do what it needs to do with its own power supply and the amp can do what it needs to do with its own power supply.

Same reason seprates are preferable in a speaker setup and it really has nothing to do with power or wattage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back