The Incoherent Rambling Room
Feb 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #753 of 1,250
Did some googling around, turns out they are legit and they run a big audio store in Brooklyn, and just have really good prices. But I just realized that with the shipping from the US factored in, I'm probably better off just buying from Amazon anyways

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #755 of 1,250
Just a quick rundown of the phones I got.

The Giantec's so far are my favorite sounding FOR THE MONEY. The extend nicely in both directions and are crisp and clear. However, when things get really busy they get a little... dirty for lack of a better word. I've had this same issue with other phones and it went away with burn in so I'm hoping the same for these. These things are also ridiculously, stupidly sensitive - I think if you held the plug out in the sunlight they might play lol The only thing that sucks is that I hate the way they look.

Hmmm... Damnit. The Fisby's don't sound all that. Nothing bad but just kind of dull and less treble than the Giantec's. These might make good sleeping phones because of their unobtrusive sound. I was hoping because I like the way they look. HEY! I hate the way the Giantec's look so I'll just swap drivers and be good to go!

The Maxell's are big, open, clear and VERY detailed but like I said they are no bass monsters. I like them.

The Ultrasone's have just too much bass for my tastes and yes it steps on the mids but not too bad. They definately have a more refined sound than the others. If I could get a phone somewhere inbetween the Maxell's and the Ultrasone's I think that would be perfect. I have to say that out of all the phones I got the Zino's are the most disapointing FOR THE PRICE.

And James wonders why I buy so many no-name phones... pshaw!

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #756 of 1,250

Quote:
Did some googling around, turns out they are legit and they run a big audio store in Brooklyn, and just have really good prices. But I just realized that with the shipping from the US factored in, I'm probably better off just buying from Amazon anyways

or keep an eye in the FS forums, ive see them for 140 there

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #758 of 1,250
You just answered your own question. And I suck at reviews.

The bass on these Giantec's is pretty fantastic. Nice and really deep but never, and I mean never, interferes with the mids... just how I like it.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #759 of 1,250
Check out the full size headphones deal tread 160$ tma1

Quote:
That doesn't seem very comfortable

Either way, that doesn't fix the other issue that the cups are too big for my liking, I don't like wearing circumauarl phones out of the house, but the TMA-1 seems significantly smaller than the M50 and is superauarl so that shouldn't be a problem

Does anyone know if "ProAudioStar" is a legit eBay dealer? They have the TMA-1 for $170

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #760 of 1,250

Quote:
Just a quick rundown of the phones I got.

The Giantec's so far are my favorite sounding FOR THE MONEY. The extend nicely in both directions and are crisp and clear. However, when things get really busy they get a little... dirty for lack of a better word. I've had this same issue with other phones and it went away with burn in so I'm hoping the same for these. These things are also ridiculously, stupidly sensitive - I think if you held the plug out in the sunlight they might play lol The only thing that sucks is that I hate the way they look.

Hmmm... Damnit. The Fisby's don't sound all that. Nothing bad but just kind of dull and less treble than the Giantec's. These might make good sleeping phones because of their unobtrusive sound. I was hoping because I like the way they look. HEY! I hate the way the Giantec's look so I'll just swap drivers and be good to go!

The Maxell's are big, open, clear and VERY detailed but like I said they are no bass monsters. I like them.

The Ultrasone's have just too much bass for my tastes and yes it steps on the mids but not too bad. They definately have a more refined sound than the others. If I could get a phone somewhere inbetween the Maxell's and the Ultrasone's I think that would be perfect. I have to say that out of all the phones I got the Zino's are the most disapointing FOR THE PRICE.

And James wonders why I buy so many no-name phones... pshaw!

Where the heck did you get those Giantecs? I can't find them anywhere.

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #761 of 1,250

Quote:
Where the heck did you get those Giantecs? I can't find them anywhere.

ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I had a whole write up on these and how I still prefer the JVC HA-M500's and what the hell happened to JVC anyway and I hit the freaking back button on my browser! Oh well, not writing all that again.

I got them at Amazon... where else?

I don't mind the blue on the sides so much but the blue headband... dreck! Something must be done. I'm either going to hit it up with some vinyl dye or swap drivers with the Frisby's which look to have the same size enclosure.

One thing I think I should mention: I was listening to The Cure last night and I noticed his voice seemed a little... slow or homogenized. Now I haven't noticed this before or since so my only conclusion is that these phones don't like The Cure lol

Anyways, I do consider these good phones for $13, but yeah, the JVC's are better however looking them up on Google they go for $35-$50 so not excactly a fair comparison. These do have more bass than the JVC's but the JVC's are just almost perfectly FLAT throughout the spectrum.

And what the hell did happen to JVC? They went from being solidly in the mid-fi space to catering to the boom, sizzle and style crowd. Makes me sad. The HA-D990's are awesome, the HA-D700's are my favorite "vintage" phone (if you can call them that) bar none and the HA-E9's are like some of the very best clip ons I've ever heard. Now they release crap like the RX-*** series that look nice but sound like they were meant to cater to every teenager with a boom car. Like I said, it makes me sad.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #762 of 1,250
These Ultrasone's are pissing me off. They sound OK, good even but $70 good? Not even close. I pity those that paid the full $100 for them. I REALLY wish I would have read ljokerl's review before I bought them.

McProgger, you think these drivers would sound good in your woodies?

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #763 of 1,250
lol you havent read all joker,s review?

my woodies are in the process to be filled with some Ortho drivers 
evil_smiley.gif
 this time with a grado headband, if it work, im gonna use them for real!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back