The Audio Lounge
Oct 18, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #11,882 of 36,132
I'm trying really hard to not purchase stuff before the first of the year. I have had my eye on the Massdrop Meze 99 Noir, damn, this is difficult. I had the 99C but bequeathed to a friend in need. Arrgghh...it is a really gorgeous piece.

Yeah, I'm going even further by selling things. So I know your pain.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #11,883 of 36,132
I would not give up my Meze Neo for those. I am more than happy with it.

I know you're fond of the Neo, that's cool, it looks pretty slick as well. I just like the wooden accent and the blacked-out treatment. For the same costs, I guess I'm leaning to the Noir.
I know the Neo and Classic sound somewhat similar but since I know the signature of the Classic, that's what I am gravitating towards. If I see the Neo drop in price soon, that's going to make it much more difficult.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #11,884 of 36,132
I know you're fond of the Neo, that's cool, it looks pretty slick as well. I just like the wooden accent and the blacked-out treatment. For the same costs, I guess I'm leaning to the Noir.
I know the Neo and Classic sound somewhat similar but since I know the signature of the Classic, that's what I am gravitating towards. If I see the Neo drop in price soon, that's going to make it much more difficult.

You have to go with what your instincts are telling you.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #11,885 of 36,132
Yeah, I'm going even further by selling things. So I know your pain.

I am heading to a local meet in about a month and hoping to sell some stuff there, but that never goes as planned. I have a bunch of IEMs that hardly get used, those may be on the way out soon. It's all about offsetting costs.

I wanted to put off all purchases until the start of the new year because I see 2019 as the 'year of vinyl' for me. I have some choices on a TT and pre-amp queued up. I have been waiting to do this for some time. Plan on dripping in some new albums as my 'sound' purchases throughout the year. Getting something now just delays all that...damn.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #11,886 of 36,132
You have to go with what your instincts are telling you.

That's the problem, my instincts are screaming: buy, buy, buy where it should be: sell, sell, sell...I'm all messed up.

Oct 18, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #11,887 of 36,132
That's the problem, my instincts are screaming: buy, buy, buy where it should be: sell, sell, sell...I'm all messed up.

Haha... we all are. Some more than others...

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #11,888 of 36,132
Was at a Hi-fi convention today in Melbourne.

Had the opportunity to listen to the Focal Elegia, Elear, Clear, Sony MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, Stax 009, L300, M007 V2.

Among the lot, surprisingly the one that caught my attention was the IER-Z1R and Clears.

Now I understand why people love the Clears so much, it was just sublime and probably my next open backs. The IER-Z1R was absolutely impressive, it bested the MDR-Z1R IMO, impeccable performance when it's similarly priced and, against a pair of headphones!

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #11,890 of 36,132
Was at a Hi-fi convention today in Melbourne.

Had the opportunity to listen to the Focal Elegia, Elear, Clear, Sony MDR-Z1R, IER-Z1R, Stax 009, L300, M007 V2.

Among the lot, surprisingly the one that caught my attention was the IER-Z1R and Clears.

Now I understand why people love the Clears so much, it was just sublime and probably my next open backs. The IER-Z1R was absolutely impressive, it bested the MDR-Z1R IMO, impeccable performance when it's similarly priced and, against a pair of headphones!

I've been following the IER-Z1R thread for a while. A new Sony hybrid IEM that, from initial impressions I've read, sounds like it's going to be able to challenge the best from Empire Ears and 64 Audio :)

To say I'm dying to hear it (and the TOTL from those other two companies) would be something of an understatement :D

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #11,891 of 36,132
Off to see this fella tonight :smile_phones:

Looks great!

I don't know much by ELO, but I've loved this other ELO track since I first heard a female cover version sung as the theme tune for an obscure TV show many years ago!
Amusingly, I just found a bit of trivia that said this Huey Lewis and the News song ended up being unintentionally heavily influenced by the ELO track. See what you think :)

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #11,892 of 36,132
I've always loved ELO and and Lynne. Just some great music. My kids still have fond memories of me playing those songs when they were younger. I find them listening to ELO on their playlists still. Would love to see them live.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #11,893 of 36,132
I've got a question for any of y'all who have heard the LZ A4 earphones - Which sub-$200 earphones would you consider to have a sound that's most similar to the LZ A4 (using the Grey Nozzle / Red Back)?
I really like the sound of my LZ A4, but the Right earphone has the "quiet driver" issue (the dynamic driver goes quiet, after listening to them for a while (when it's warm / humid)).

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #11,894 of 36,132
Great gig last night, great as in epic. I don’t know or care how he does it, but the energy of the performance is astounding and uplifting so much so you can feel it’s effects rippling through the crowd.
It’s the third time I’ve seen him now, he’s a man of few words on stage. He comes on and says hello then starts playing.
I was sat in the upper tier half way up at the back and the atmosphere was electric
Towards the end of the gig a security guard was at the top of the stairs with his back to the stage watching the audience as they are instructed to. Some people had left their seats and started dancing in the aisles. I’ve seen people returned to their seats by the security in the O2 before and was surprised to see that this security guard did nothing but was increasingly looking more curious at the audience of people as young as twelve up to people in their seventies.
The security guard, a young black dude who looked like he’d never heard an ELO track before in his life, started turning round and taking sneaky looks at the stage. These little looks started getting longer and longer. His feet started tapping, the hips started swaying and he was digging it. Even my sons had noticed him really getting into it and by the end he was playing an imaginary piano, the drums and pirouetting in time to the music. He was great and a joy to see someone become a fan in such a short space of time. I wish all security guards were like him, when we were leaving I asked him did he enjoy the show and he replied
“Yeah, that was amazing, I loved it”
I’ll leave it here now with two tracks from a living legend performing on one of the most, if not, most demanding stages in the world

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #11,895 of 36,132
I've got a question for any of y'all who have heard the LZ A4 earphones - Which sub-$200 earphones would you consider to have a sound that's most similar to the LZ A4 (using the Grey Nozzle / Red Back)?

Hi there!
I can't give a great answer as this is mostly from vague recollections at the time people were first talking about the LZ A4 (which I think was at the time when people were in the initial stages of ordering the Trinity Audio PM4? or was it PM6?). It would be helpful if you could recap the qualities you most like in the LZ A4 so that suggestions can be refined accordingly?

That said, and off the top of my head, the other (comparable) IEM's I remember hearing discussed at that time and since then were:

Periodic Audio Be:
I have only heard this briefly at a CanJam, so others can give a better impression (I seem to recall one or more people on here having owned them).
I recall not being particularly impressed, but in fairness it was only a brief listen.
A respected Head-Fi user called @crinacle has posted a mod that can be done for this IEM (which I read just 5mins ago before coming on here!), involving blocking certain vents etc. This has the effect of making the sound more balanced and refined, so there's room to customise the sound signature of these :)

iBasso IT03:
I own these and like them a lot (getting a good seal is important).
Big soundstage, clarity, detail. Bass is pretty special (DD hybrid IEM); not bloated or unbalanced, but able to hit hard and go deep when required. Technically, very accomplished. V-shaped sound, but not extreme.
Some people say the mids are recessed (which by definition would be inevitable if going for a V-shaped sound lol). Personally, I've never really felt any shortcoming in this area. YMMV
Am listening to the IT03 whilst typing this :)

iBasso IT01:
Well, these weren't out back when the LZ A4 were released, but based on my limited recollections of descriptions of the sound of the LZ A4, these could perhaps be a viable option?
I'd describe them as a bit warmer than the IT03 and slightly more intimate, and the bass has slightly more presence. They've been described as punching well about their weight, so at $99, could be worth consideration. I own these too, so can provide further comments/advice if required.

TFZ King Pro:
Shamelessly lifted from the aforementioned Crinacle's IEM ranking list (which I also just read for the first time!):
"Powerful yet controlled bass response, good snap in the treble, doesn't sacrifice too much in the midrange"
$170 at time of release, seems like a potentially good option.

I recall discussions on here about a Chinese brand that started out by basically ripping off the CA Andromeda body shape, but later went on to make some pretty accomplished IEM's.
I don't know whether it was the TFZ brand mentioned above, or another? But there's been some good feedback on this thread I think for certain models from that brand.
I don't know the models or pricing, but hopefully someone here can chime in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back