The Audio Lounge
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #5,281 of 36,138
You guys might hate me for this, but I have a 3500$ interest free loan offered by my company spread out over 2 years. I can use that for any electronics/IT equipment. :p So... BAM.

wow, that would be way too tempting. I'd redo my my entire desktop or go bananas on a very high-end portable set-up...

Good for you. I don't hate, just very jelly.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #5,282 of 36,138
Just received my B Stock IMR R1s and straight out of the box and first song listen, wow!

Will need to try rolling filters later to find my preferred sound, just using the blacks already fitted at the moment, amazing sound. When you consider these were B grade B stock and therefore the price paid, these are so worth it. B grade B stock amounted to no cardboard sleeve on for the box (no IMR logo for me), no balanced cable (I don't own any balanced sources so no big loss) and the the cosmetic damage amounted to one visible scratch on the face which faces towards your ear when being worn. More than happy with these "compromises" to be able to get in on this sound.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #5,284 of 36,138
Just received my B Stock IMR R1s and straight out of the box and first song listen, wow!

Will need to try rolling filters later to find my preferred sound, just using the blacks already fitted at the moment, amazing sound. When you consider these were B grade B stock and therefore the price paid, these are so worth it. B grade B stock amounted to no cardboard sleeve on for the box (no IMR logo for me), no balanced cable (I don't own any balanced sources so no big loss) and the the cosmetic damage amounted to one visible scratch on the face which faces towards your ear when being worn. More than happy with these "compromises" to be able to get in on this sound.

Congrats on the new gear! I'm still waiting on my IMR R1... They're lost/Stolen by the post system probably. :\ Which sucks immensely.

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #5,286 of 36,138
Does the Canadian post system hate anything from the UK? You seem to have had terrible luck receiving anything from us.

Not really, I've had good luck with stuff from the UK in general. Just seems like the IMR R1 order was a one off. Two other packages from the UK, including my Trinity PM6, arrived quickly and with no hiccups.

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #5,290 of 36,138
Oh boy... TFZ Tequilas are on Massdrop.. that's really really really tempting since I've loved everything they've done so far.

I also noticed something when I was checking out the Monoprice M1060c listing.

29513_05.jpg

18ohms? That seems really low for a full size planar. Most, including the open back 1060, are around 50-60. The lowest I can think of off-hand are the Hifiman 400i at 35ohm.

Any thoughts on why it's so low and how that might impact things?

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #5,291 of 36,138
Oh boy... TFZ Tequilas are on Massdrop.. that's really really really tempting since I've loved everything they've done so far.

29513_05.jpg

18ohms? That seems really low for a full size planar. Most, including the open back 1060, are around 50-60. The lowest I can think of off-hand are the Hifiman 400i at 35ohm.

Wouldn't be able to tell you how that works, but what I CAN tell you is that the MrSpeakers Aeon is even lower, with a quoted 13ohms for impedance. A funny thing I also saw on their main landing page for the Aeon headphones: they list frequency response as "Yes*". Confirmed, MrSpeakers Aeon headphones do produce frequencies :p
https://www.mrspeakers.com/headphones-14/aeon.html

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #5,292 of 36,138

29513_05.jpg

Probably just means it's easier to drive. Not too sure how it'll affect sound quality. I'm just remembering the time where the DT880 was a hit but mainly the 600ohm version, there must be some reason to why people preferred the seemingly harder to drive, higher impedance model. Could it be sound quality? No idea. Maybe someone can shine some light to this.

Jan 30, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #5,293 of 36,138
Probably just means it's easier to drive. Not too sure how it'll affect sound quality. I'm just remembering the time where the DT880 was a hit but mainly the 600ohm version, there must be some reason to why people preferred the seemingly harder to drive, higher impedance model. Could it be sound quality? No idea. Maybe someone can shine some light to this.
The impedance value combined with the sensitivity seems to be a general indicator for how hard or easy it is to drive to volume, but I think the varying impedance versions had some difference on impedance curves and different sources produce differing results based on power delivery.
Basically, it's a lotta stuff that's way outta my realm of knowledge so I should probably just shut up at this point :p

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #5,295 of 36,138
What a week, received HiFiMan HE-560, UiiSii CM5, **** ASE and Willsound MK2 and have a stinking flu so cannot really appreciate anything

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back