The Audio Lounge
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #136 of 36,102
Definitely planars! I honestly i can't go back, I have heard that the Beyer t1s are pretty good too though, but planars for me.
I have considered buying the massdrop senn 650 as they are so cheap, but honestly my damn ugly fostex t50rp mk3 are so good for the money I paid that im worried that I would still prefer them , I know the he 400i are compared and in most comparisons I read some still prefer the he400i....long live the planar.
Hey! Long live the dynamic driver! I'm still having a dandy time with my HD600 and TH-X00 combo. They work really well with my TEAC AI-301DA.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #137 of 36,102
IEMs are seductive little things - I truly don't understand why, LOL! For some reason I've never felt the same about headphones, maybe because due to the tropical climate I use them much less, but when I got my Sony MDR 1A I reached my end point for overears. They are just very good, very musical and extremely comfortable headphones, leaving me not wishing for anything more.
IEMs I use much more, both at home and in the gym or when traveling which I do quite a bit. I have found what for me are the almost perfect set - the Sony XBA N3, which I recommend to anyone who likes natural sound with powerful bass and clear and potent treble - but still love to try new sets. I'm keen to listen to the campfire products to see how they match up with my tastes, especially the hybrid model. I do have to remind myself that I only have 2 ears, and more than a few pairs, even for different purposes, is a waste :wink:... But they're seductive, something about the technology just appeals.
In actuality, I should concentrate on finding a nice new DAP, as my much loved, nearly to death, iPod classic is on it's last legs. I've got the excellent Fiio e17k attached to an old android phone as well, but prefer a stand-alone player for most things. Budget constraints apply, but I'm looking with interest at that Opus, along with the new Cayin, Shanling and Fiio models.
The curse of too much choice, ha, could be worse...:wink:

Well I'm selling my fiio x7 and keeping the opus1 so that says something...its great for iems and dare I say it is as resolving as my mojo...gulp hope I'm not getting stoned by the mojo crowd now....but hey the mojo is better in other ways it is for me king at the moment , resolving smooth with power enough to drive my fostex and they are a x $#/^ to power.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #138 of 36,102
Hey! Long live the dynamic driver! I'm still having a dandy time with my HD600 and TH-X00 combo. They work really well with my TEAC AI-301DA.

I have never owned any of the senns and still on occasion consider the purchase, but I'm scared my planars are going to still be king in my eyes .
I think the 600s would be more my thing than the 650s though.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #139 of 36,102
I have never owned any of the senns and still on occasion consider the purchase, but I'm scared my planars are going to still be king in my eyes .
I think the 600s would be more my thing than the 650s though.
They're more my thing than the HD650s. The warmth and a bit of the bass comes back up using my TEAC since it's a warmer source so that makes the HD600 better for my use than the HD650. I kept my current combo over the Hifiman HE560, which I did also own for a time. Planars are good; wicked detail, clarity, and can get some deep bass response, but there's still some sort of more organic feel to dynamic drivers that's kept me using them instead. I've listened to both the Hifiman Edition X and HE1000 as well and while they are definitely good headphones, I think I find more enjoyment in my current combo. It'll be sticking around for a while.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #140 of 36,102
They're more my thing than the HD650s. The warmth and a bit of the bass comes back up using my TEAC since it's a warmer source so that makes the HD600 better for my use than the HD650. I kept my current combo over the Hifiman HE560, which I did also own for a time. Planars are good; wicked detail, clarity, and can get some deep bass response, but there's still some sort of more organic feel to dynamic drivers that's kept me using them instead. I've listened to both the Hifiman Edition X and HE1000 as well and while they are definitely good headphones, I think I find more enjoyment in my current combo. It'll be sticking around for a while.

Interesting....my itch for the 600s may comeback now if they come up cheap enough whuch occasionally they do.
I was more a portable guy for a long time but in the last year or so leaning more towards desktop, im not a young guy so I'm sitting at home with my slippers more now lol.
On that note i love the mojo as a desktop dac/amp i can't wait to try it as a dac with the Valhalla2.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #142 of 36,102
After getting the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 dynamic/electrets my HD600 just sit.
My HD600s and TH-X00 have been sitting all summer long. They'll get headtime again come fall and winter. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to any of those electrostatz headphones; they look really interesting though.

Also, I only just recently looked at anything about the Dita Audio Dream; every manufacturer needs to do what Dita have done with their plug. It would solve the straight/right-angle AND the balanced/single-ended choices.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #143 of 36,102
After getting the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 dynamic/electrets my HD600 just sit.
That's a bit freaky a guy at work was on about a hybrid today but couldn't remember the name.. I just googled them and i think they possibly are what he was on about ... i know nothing about these , I presume no elect static amp needed? These are severely interesting and thank you for the heads up! So opinions ? Impressions over all? .

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #144 of 36,102
That's a bit freaky a guy at work was on about a hybrid today but couldn't remember the name.. I just googled them and i think they possibly are what he was on about ... i know nothing about these , I presume no elect static amp needed? These are severely interesting and thank you for the heads up! So opinions ? Impressions over all? .

I just googled and they don't im realy intrigued.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #146 of 36,102

I have both the GL2 (Kickstarter) and the MJ2. The GL2 are a warmer tonal balance, with midhall perspective. The MJ2 are more neutral. Neither are bright. Just natural detail. They sound effortless. Very high efficiency. They play off the PonoPlayer without an amp. Easily. I changed out the single ended cable for a diy balanced cable on the MJ2 (GL2 can't run balanced without major modification).

Another person in this thread has the MJ2. Fpessolano has them in his avatar pic. Perhaps he will chime in. Many reviews have hit in the last month or so. Here is one on MJ2. http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/
There are reviews by Earphonia.

I hope for an IEM using this technology.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #147 of 36,102
I have both the GL2 (Kickstarter) and the MJ2. The GL2 are a warmer tonal balance, with midhall perspective. The MJ2 are more neutral. Neither are bright. Just natural detail. They sound effortless. Very high efficiency. They play off the PonoPlayer without an amp. Easily. I changed out the single ended cable for a diy balanced cable on the MJ2 (GL2 can't run balanced without major modification).

Another person in this thread has the MJ2. Fpessolano has them in his avatar pic. Perhaps he will chime in. Many reviews have hit in the last month or so. Here is one on MJ2. http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-mj2-by-mitchell-johnson/
There are reviews by Earphonia.

I hope for an IEM using this technology.

I looked at a mj2 review , and they look fantastic they were if i remember compared to OPPO pm3 and it said it made them sound slow and muddy in comparison, thats one thing I wouldn't have thought I would of heard about the oppos .
How's the build on both? I read a couple of bad bits in here, which would be at this moment my only concern.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #149 of 36,102
I looked at a mj2 review , and they look fantastic they were if i remember compared to OPPO pm3 and it said it made them sound slow and muddy in comparison, thats one thing I wouldn't have thought I would of heard about the oppos .
How's the build on both? I read a couple of bad bits in here, which would be at this moment my only concern.

The entry GL1 has a short non detachable cord with controls stuck in it. All plastic.

I would aim for at least the GL2. It has detachable short cable ( no controls embedded - thankfully) and the earcups are now solid wood. I would put the construction of these about even with the Senn HD600. Gut says the plastic in the HD600 might be slightly better, but where it really counts sonically the GL2 wins because of the solid wood earcups.

The MJ2 are all metal and wood. Each ear cup has it's own 3.5mm trs port. So it is easy to
buy/build new cables. The MJ2 also fold! When folded, they are half the size of the HD600. With the efficiency, folding and closed back these are great for portable use.

The one thing some people run into on the MJ2 is they don't adjust down small enough for some people. This is simply fixed by adding a headband pad. I now listen to the MJ2 more than the GL2. The extra detail is captivating.

Sorry to derail the IEM/buds thread. Now I will bring it back home. Would like to get an affordable IEM that gives similar sound to the headphones above. Obviously the Shure electrostats would. Not spending $3K. The Audeze iSine look interesting, but they have no sound isolation. That is a major problem for portable use. Have the same problem with the VE Monk+ ear buds. Love those little guys, but can't use them that often. My first high quality IEMs were B&W C5. The special wire molds to the inside of the ear to lock them in. I could do back flips and they stay in the ear. Unfortunately the back of the IEM is open metal mesh. No isolation.

So I move between the Sony XBA-H1 dynamic/ba, Flare R2Pro, and Trinity Audio Atas (purple filter that I added some damping to). All sonically do things I like and some I don't. I lean towards the Atlas since they have balanced cables.

Ideas? IEMs are tough to audition compared to other earphones.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #150 of 36,102
The entry GL1 has a short non detachable cord with controls stuck in it. All plastic.

I would aim for at least the GL2. It has detachable short cable ( no controls embedded - thankfully) and the earcups are now solid wood. I would put the construction of these about even with the Senn HD600. Gut says the plastic in the HD600 might be slightly better, but where it really counts sonically the GL2 wins because of the solid wood earcups.

The MJ2 are all metal and wood. Each ear cup has it's own 3.5mm trs port. So it is easy to
buy/build new cables. The MJ2 also fold! When folded, they are half the size of the HD600. With the efficiency, folding and closed back these are great for portable use.

The one thing some people run into on the MJ2 is they don't adjust down small enough for some people. This is simply fixed by adding a headband pad. I now listen to the MJ2 more than the GL2. The extra detail is captivating.

Sorry to derail the IEM/buds thread. Now I will bring it back home. Would like to get an affordable IEM that gives similar sound to the headphones above. Obviously the Shure electrostats would. Not spending $3K. The Audeze iSine look interesting, but they have no sound isolation. That is a major problem for portable use. Have the same problem with the VE Monk+ ear buds. Love those little guys, but can't use them that often. My first high quality IEMs were B&W C5. The special wire molds to the inside of the ear to lock them in. I could do back flips and they stay in the ear. Unfortunately the back of the IEM is open metal mesh. No isolation.

So I move between the Sony XBA-H1 dynamic/ba, Flare R2Pro, and Trinity Audio Atas (purple filter that I added some damping to). All sonically do things I like and some I don't. I lean towards the Atlas since they have balanced cables.

Ideas? IEMs are tough to audition compared to other earphones.

Hey I don't think there is any derailing on this thread, as far as I'm aware oldude04 set this thread up so we could talk/discuss anything around headphones/iems/dacs/amps even music on them without upsetting sponsors or guys who just soley want to talk about one product ..here we can say "I think this is better than this" without rustling feathers

Well I'm looking at the mj2 now , they look amazing and the few reviews I read are glowing, I will probably pick up a pair they will get added to my wanted list.
Thanks for the perspective and the heads up.

I also am considering the flares pro and read a review where a guy said he preferred to his isine planars , these have been on my radar for a few weeks, jackpot77 has some and he said he will compare to the hunter in his review, he said to pm him for more detail which I haven't done yet because, i will give him time to evaluate and also i know he will be more vocal when he's ready
Also i like a broad spectrum of opinion however much i respect jackpots own opinion and experience of which i definitely do. im definitely a majority buyer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back