The iBasso P3+ Herron has made its way to my door and there are images and more . . .
Jun 10, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #76 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeap, the P3 oem version. How do you compare the P3+ and the P3 OEM?

I think you might be confused because the new P3+ is spoken about in the "iBasso OEM project" thread.

The OEM project is an entirely different beast, with a completely different circuit, operating around twice the voltage as the P3+, etc, etc. This is the fiQuest

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #78 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by clasam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might be confused because the new P3+ is spoken about in the "iBasso OEM project" thread.

The OEM project is an entirely different beast, with a completely different circuit, operating around twice the voltage as the P3+, etc, etc. This is the fiQuest

I see. I thought that the OEM project is an upgraded version of P3. Thanks for the clarification.

So why can't we compare the SQ between the P3+ and the fiQuest when the operating voltage between them are different?

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #80 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I thought that the OEM project is an upgraded version of P3. Thanks for the clarification.

So why can't we compare the SQ between the P3+ and the fiQuest when the operating voltage between them are different?

No, you're right, we can definitely compare the two based on SQ. I was just making the distinction between the two amps.

As far as I know, Jamato is the only person to have heard both...I pm'ed him about the differences last week, but he the P3+ was still quite new, and he hadn't had time to really try and find the best configuration of both amps.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #81 of 302
Quote:

The OEM isn't totally complete, as far as I know. The OEM is one of the best portables I have heard. It is in the same class as the Lisa III with a little more open sound and high frequency extension, which gives it a more airy sound. When comparing to the P3+ the same difference is noticed though the P3+ isn't quite up to the Lisa III but close in some regards. Again the voltage swing helps drive that current.

Edit:

Ok, the AD744 OB and CA very nice. More detail and great presence. Will have to listen more. I can use my adapter now for any dip opamp and of course soic on a Brown Dog etc. I must have made up these adapters 4 years ago or so. I am surprised I have them with me. I used a 1/8 watt resistor on each that is neatly tucked under the adapter so it is out of the way and still works, which it would not if on the side of the adapter.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #82 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit:

Ok, the AD744 OB and CA very nice. More detail and great presence. Will have to listen more. I can use my adapter now for any dip opamp and of course soic on a Brown Dog etc. I must have made up these adapters 4 years ago or so. I am surprised I have them with me. I used a 1/8 watt resistor on each that is neatly tucked under the adapter so it is out of the way and still works, which it would not if on the side of the adapter.

What does the OB in AD744 OB stand for?

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #83 of 302
Quote:

What does the OB in AD744 OB stand for?

It stands for "output bypassed". There are only a couple of opamps where this can be accomplished. Basically, it is bypassing the power amp section of the opamp and running the output directly from the pre-amp section (from the compensation pin). This can also be combined with Class A operation if so desired.

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #84 of 302
So Ron what opamps do you know of that can be run this way?

I have to admit that the AD744 in OB and CA is a detail monster. Very interesting. Such a level of retrieval. I wonder if there is a bump in the upper mid lower higher frequency? Or is it just cleaner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any word when the P3+ is expected back in stock?

Two days.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #85 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Ron what opamps do you know of that can be run this way?

I have to admit that the AD744 in OB and CA is a detail monster. Very interesting. Such a level of retrieval. I wonder if there is a bump in the upper mid lower higher frequency? Or is it just cleaner?

Two days.

The NE/SA/SE5534, AD744 and AD829 can be modified to run OB, 5534 and 744 can be run OBCA, 829 can't do both at the same time.

Any single-channel opamp can be modified to run CA.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #86 of 302
Deleted, duplicate post.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #87 of 302
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It stands for "output bypassed". There are only a couple of opamps where this can be accomplished. Basically, it is bypassing the power amp section of the opamp and running the output directly from the pre-amp section (from the compensation pin). This can also be combined with Class A operation if so desired.

Thanks, Ron. Yeah, the only thing I could think of was "out of bounds", or "obstetrics"...stupid medical training.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #88 of 302
Or OB, obturator (as used for the guide with trach), and OB you know OBGYN, OB as in oral bath when my pt's have emesis (projectile vomiting) and on it goes.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #90 of 302
So far, I have tested the AD743, OPA350 (single channel version of OPA2350), and OP27 in Class A and the AD744 in Class A + Output bypassed using the AD8616, EL8201 and LTC6241 as buffers.

All combinations sound very good and can be used without modification in the P3, P3+ and D10. They vary slightly in soundstage and imaging and all seem to be more resolving of minute nuances of detail. The better the rest of the equipment and recording chain, the better they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back