The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #5,176 of 18,652

I don't think so, considering you're bypassing the whole amp section by only using the Line Out.

When you say "Battery Level" you mean measured voltage or the battery indicator inside the DX50. Measuring the voltage outside shouldn't make a difference in sound, since the Pisen battery is based on the Samsung battery. When a friend's DX50 get in here, i think we'll do some A/B testing of our own...

the battery level inside DX50... the samsung is somewhere at 50% mark the pisen is 70% mark. I use a multimeter to test both the batteries to check the voltage

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #5,179 of 18,652
Any idea when the DX50 from mp4nation will be shipped if ordered after the 14th?

It states that it will be shipped on the 26th but until now the status of my order is still processing.

Thank you.

Same here. No notifications thus far.

I've ordered my DX50 on October 16. I emailed mp4nation two days ago for shipping date and their reply was Monday Oct 28

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #5,181 of 18,652

M8 is a great game changer but even though Head-Fi created it, they somehow choose optical instead of coaxial and now we can't link it with daps like DX50, X3 or X5 etc. Only overpriced AK series can do it or bulky DX100/R10. I already bugged Centrance about a new M8 version with coaxial input but it won't happen in the near future apparently.

To be honest, I so want to have M8 in my setup but I am not going to get AK dap just because of it. iTouch has a very small capacity the only option for me is a half dead iPod Classic. Even though it doesn't play high res, I think for on to go, my ears will be okay.

Or.... I can get X5 or DX50 and pair a good old portable amp from line out/in and my stack won't be huge like M8. Then I will have to skip M8, which makes me sad because I really wish to get it.

So many options, so few money
frown.gif

Oops.  
Just ordered my dx50 last night, and assumed it would output through USB.  I guess I didn`t research enough.... I was dead set on the M8 . . .   
If this is true, that the dx50 only outputs digital through coax, then I too am very keen to learn if there is a USB-coax connect  . . .  

Why are you guys so set on getting the M8? Sure, it's a nice device if you need something that will work with as many devices as possible, so you can use it with your PC, Mac, iDevice, Android and whatnot... Why not get something that just works with the DX50? (or your DAP of choice). The M8 seems like a swiss army knife to me, it does everything and anything but is a bulky thing to carry if all you need is a knife.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #5,182 of 18,652

Why are you guys so set on getting the M8? Sure, it's a nice device if you need something that will work with as many devices as possible, so you can use it with your PC, Mac, iDevice, Android and whatnot... Why not get something that just works with the DX50? (or your DAP of choice). The M8 seems like a swiss army knife to me, it does everything and anything but is a bulky thing to carry if all you need is a knife.

That part is also bugging me too. Sure it is a bulky thing. So I was considering, why not get DX50 or X5 and use line out when I need extra juice. Then again, if I go that combo, I will need to buy another thing to use with my desktop. M8 covers all the areas and from iems to headphones, it drives pretty much everything. It will be ultimate one device to rule them all. Too bad, Mr Goodman didn't put coax input in it. Now I am struggling whether go to sweet 240 gb of iPod Classic + M8 or X5 (DX50 maybe) + portable amp + desktop amp/dac.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #5,183 of 18,652
Seems like the easiest may to get the M8 and DX50 connected would be coaxial to spdif conversion. Lots of devices to do that, don't know how portable they can get, but it's going to be much easier and precise than coaxial to USB.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #5,184 of 18,652

I already have an M8. It would have been neat if DX50 can pass digital signal on it so I don't need to consider a separate amp for DX50 and the M8 is already proven to have a nice and powerful amp. Granted DX50 already has a good DAC/Amp, the ability to pair it with a swiss army knife like M8 will only add more value to it.

Besides having only few devices doing multiple function for me is convenient and saves money in the long run. I hate seeing a dedicated desktop amp just sit at home if I need to be on the road for a long trip of holiday.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,186 of 18,652

That part is also bugging me too. Sure it is a bulky thing. So I was considering, why not get DX50 or X5 and use line out when I need extra juice. Then again, if I go that combo, I will need to buy another thing to use with my desktop. M8 covers all the areas and from iems to headphones, it drives pretty much everything. It will be ultimate one device to rule them all. Too bad, Mr Goodman didn't put coax input in it. Now I am struggling whether go to sweet 240 gb of iPod Classic + M8 or X5 (DX50 maybe) + portable amp + desktop amp/dac.

Hi, I think you can consider to use an audiophile DAP like X5 in the future for portable use with your SE5... I would not recommend 901 balance because the battery life is not so good especially if you need to listen to music on the go a lot.... and for X5, you can also look to upgrade with TOTL portable amp like Intruder/71B and balance your SE5 if they really demand that much power...

then get a desktop amp e.g. audio-gd with coax input and usb input to use with your future high end full sized cans like T1, HD800 and all...

M8 sits in the awkward place between portable and desktop...

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #5,187 of 18,652

I think M8 covers most of the output combinations. Hopefully in the next iteration of the device coax is an option. If you think about it the USB in should have accomodated all USB device including iDevices, Android and PC/Mac. Not sure why in the vanilla versions must have a separate iDevice input and a USB input.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #5,188 of 18,652
My samsung battery came and just did some ab ab comparisons. . Yes the samsung battery sound better. Bass is tighter n extend further. Soundstage is wider. I check both battery voltage both same same. Althought from dx50 battery level the samsung is lower but it sound so much effortless compare to original pisen batrery from ibasso

Was that blind AB testing?  If it wasn't ABX it means nothing.  I would wager you couldn't identify with any statistical significance, which battery was which using a blind testing method.

Everyone sees what they want to see, hears what they want to hear,and believes what they want to believe.  If they two batteries were hooked up to an oscilloscope, and the output was the same, would you still think one battery sounds better than the other?

I can somewhat understand the Interconnect malarky since most of the aftermarket interconnects look cool.  So at least you can get some points when someone else looks at your kit and sees that your DX50 Interconnects cost more than all of the electronics in the stack.  It shows that you like to throw away money, but at least have a surplus, unless you are borrowing money to buy it.  Everybody likes those kind of people since there is the hope that they will throw away money on them.

Simple question what matters the most?  I say it is the 1) source material, 2) the amp, and 3) the DAC (in that order).  The rest (and I mean ALL the rest) is just expensive mental masturbation.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #5,189 of 18,652

I think M8 covers most of the output combinations. Hopefully in the next iteration of the device coax is an option. If you think about it the USB in should have accomodated all USB device including iDevices, Android and PC/Mac. Not sure why in the vanilla versions must have a separate iDevice input and a USB input.

I just wish Mr Goodman had already put Coax input in it so all these brainstorming wouldn't happen. Maybe in the future as you said but how long future? If it is around 1 year, it is worth to wait since as a student I can't put money aside that fast anyway but if we are talking about 2 or more years, probably in the meantime something else would come and take the throne.
  Hi, I think you can consider to use an audiophile DAP like X5 in the future for portable use with your SE5... I would not recommend 901 balance because the battery life is not so good especially if you need to listen to music on the go a lot.... and for X5, you can also look to upgrade with TOTL portable amp like Intruder/71B and balance your SE5 if they really demand that much power...

then get a desktop amp e.g. audio-gd with coax input and usb input to use with your future high end full sized cans like T1, HD800 and all...

M8 sits in the awkward place between portable and desktop...

Well SE5way doesn't demand power like HE6 or HD800 or T1 but for a ciem, it sure needs some juice to show its best. average joe got his best results with DX100 + Portaphile 627 if I remember correctly. Low powered sources don't give what you can get from these monitors. For the moment my good old Clip+ is quite suffering under the SE5way
happy_face1.gif
However X5 + Intruder or 71b seems to be a good choice. I can use Intruder as a desktop dac/amp too right through USB? If not, I quite like Audio GD products, maybe I can get something from them too. That would be far away future though.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #5,190 of 18,652

The first image I don't think so, It's a USB TV adapter. The coax input is for Antenna/ Cable channel signal.

I'm not sure about the 2nd image

Both of those things are USB-coax converters. . . .  and irritating.  

I don`t think we should be whining about the M8 not having coax input.  We should be whining about two other things:

The M8 does not have analogue in
The DX50 does not have usb out

I`ll whine for all of us:

W A A A A A A a a a a a a . . .    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back