The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #5,191 of 18,652
M8 sits in the awkward place between portable and desktop...

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I think that's what makes the M8 special. I can use it both as desktop amp and a portable amp. Sure is bigger than most portable DAC/amp but no less postable. It maybe not as powerful as the TOTL desktop amp but it can can power my Beyer T1 using balanced connector and still have more than enough juice to blast my eardrum if I choose :)

Now I realize that M8 is the gadget I used the most. I just switch sources/headphones depending on my location.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #5,193 of 18,652
  I just wish Mr Goodman had already put Coax input in it so all these brainstorming wouldn't happen. Maybe in the future as you said but how long future? If it is around 1 year, it is worth to wait since as a student I can't put money aside that fast anyway but if we are talking about 2 or more years, probably in the meantime something else would come and take the throne.

Well SE5way doesn't demand power like HE6 or HD800 or T1 but for a ciem, it sure needs some juice to show its best. average joe got his best results with DX100 + Portaphile 627 if I remember correctly. Low powered sources don't give what you can get from these monitors. For the moment my good old Clip+ is quite suffering under the SE5way
happy_face1.gif
However X5 + Intruder or 71b seems to be a good choice. I can use Intruder as a desktop dac/amp too right through USB? If not, I quite like Audio GD products, maybe I can get something from them too. That would be far away future though.

oh, the problem with intruder dac is that it is only 16 bit, future X5 can become usb dac and just line out to intruder for desktop use...

Sorry for OT, all....

by the way, Fiio could not implement usb audio out, I doubt it if ibasso can...

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,195 of 18,652
  Both of those things are USB-coax converters. . . .  and irritating.  

I don`t think we should be whining about the M8 not having coax input.  We should be whining about two other things:

The M8 does not have analogue in
The DX50 does not have usb out

I`ll whine for all of us:

W A A A A A A a a a a a a . . .    

Haha no device is perfect. I hope we get to a point when all we need is just one device to rule them all.
gs1000.gif

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #5,196 of 18,652
  oh, the problem with intruder dac is that it is only 16 bit, future X5 can become usb dac and just line out to intruder for desktop use...

Sorry for OT, all....

by the way, Fiio could not implement usb audio out, I doubt it if ibasso can...

Yep, first of all, sorry for the quite off topic posts.

Thank you very much Cosmic, you done great help and cleared my mind I have to say. I honestly forgot that X5 will be also USB DAC (how stupid of me, following X5 thread since its beginning). Now that I can find my solution easily. If X5 doesn't give enough power, I can always add an amp to the stack, both on my desk and on to go.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #5,197 of 18,652

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I think that's what makes the M8 special. I can use it both as desktop amp and a portable amp. Sure is bigger than most portable DAC/amp but no less postable. It maybe not as powerful as the TOTL desktop amp but it can can power my Beyer T1 using balanced connector and still have more than enough juice to blast my eardrum if I choose :)

Now I realize that M8 is the gadget I used the most. I just switch sources/headphones depending on my location.

I am sure it sounds righteous... just giving my opinion that if it does not work with the gear you have or want to have, there are still many options in the market... thats all...

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,198 of 18,652
For a very small IC don't use the shell that comes with the plug. I haven't used them for years. Just use the part you solder to, come off at a right angle and use heat shrink. You can get about 1 cm of height for a right angle and they are very, very strong. I don't bother with the expensive plugs though I have some. Most of the one you get can be taken apart, are non magnetic, and then you have a nice tip to use for no cost. Use the wire of choice and you have a very compact IC. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #5,199 of 18,652
  I am sure it sounds righteous... just giving my opinion that if it does not work with the gear you have or want to have, there are still many options in the market... thats all...

No worries just stated my opinion in contrast with yours. There are indeed many options but finding the perfect fit is more challenging than expected. There will always be a tradeoff.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #5,200 of 18,652
about that samsung battery thing, noticed when turn on/off DAP with samsung battery noise is much more quieter, right now using firmvare v1.1.6

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #5,201 of 18,652
I am using 1.2.2.  

Yesterday the DX50 made that computery screech/squeal that everyone has heard at one time or another,and then went black and unresponsive.  I had to take the battery out and then it worked.

Today my coax wouldn't work right after powering up (it was playing through the HO, though.)  After 5 mins of isolating components I decided it was the DX50.  I did a factory reset and it is working again.

It's anxiety provoking, because my first thought is 1) great, I have to send it back to China, and 2) am I going to have any warranty problems.

I definitely could live without all the drama the DX50 injects into my life.  Then again, it is the most awesome portable device I have ever owned.

This is exactly why I will not sell my X3, for the most part my X3 is very reliable but I prefer the sound of my DX50.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #5,203 of 18,652
Not touching the DX50 until they sort the bugs out not willing to be a beta tester for a half baked Chinese product, dont care if it sounds good or not ....

Thank you for your constructive, useful input. Your insight will be of great help to those who are looking for a non-Apple dap.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #5,204 of 18,652
about that samsung battery thing, noticed when turn on/off DAP with samsung battery noise is much more quieter, right now using firmvare v1.1.6

Yes the pop is softer

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5,205 of 18,652
Not touching the DX50 until they sort the bugs out not willing to be a beta tester for a half baked Chinese product, dont care if it sounds good or not ....

You're in the wrong thread. Go over here and have a ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back