The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,352 of 18,652
  I know, that the firmware update is overshadowed by other bugs, etc. etc. bla bla

Did anyone noticed a change in SQ, because at the moment, or maybe it is just my head, but the DX50 now sounds a bit smoother. Also the lows changed somehow. It sounds now "more like the Wolfson 8740". Maybe its just me.

Yes, it changed for me as well. Seems like bass is more present but looser than before. Everything else is a tad bit more relaxed, but some may call this boring.

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #1,353 of 18,652
I appreciate everyone's tips for applying the FW update - everything went smoothly and the player's working great.  I don't do anything fancy - just have a bunch of albums from HD Tracks on the external SD card and they all show up browsing by album, complete with artwork.  So I can't attest to issues using the device in other ways.  Like some other folks have observed, I seems to me that the sound signature has changed as well - more base, smoother highs perhaps?  Definitely seems to have more volume - I'm playing at lower settings now than previously.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #1,354 of 18,652
  The DX50's firmware is HALF-BAKED. They released a product that requires you to use your headphone jack and the coaxial port as a navigational tool in recovery mode?

This has been fixed with the current firmware, you can now use the volume buttons to make the selection.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #1,356 of 18,652
I just did the firmware update and missed about 120 posts so winged it and crossed my fingers it was not a disaster upgrade.

All good as far as I can tell. I bought this to separately amp/dac (to replace iPods) but am taken back on how it good it sounds with my Sony NC phones. 

This is a nice simple clean DAP without all the Android OS bugs and lag of the DX100 (IMHO that I previously owned)

I agree the FW update the SQ has changed somewhat and is a bit more mellow at least for my music tastes (contemporary jazz) 

Wearing my corporate hat, I just cant help but think that iBasso should have pitched this player at circa 300-400 dollars.

I would re-buy a DX100 with this DX50 case style (minus Droid touch screen) in a heart beat but with better dacs amp etc.

Maybe thats the DX75 
tongue.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,357 of 18,652
  This thread is brought to you by:

Let's get back on topic chaps. A certain member has been restricted from this thread.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,359 of 18,652
Just got my dx50 and updated the firmware. Quick impressions:

1. w/ hd600, I fouind mid gain to be the best. 
2. While the dx50 can drive the hd600 decently, I found line-out to my uha-6s mkii to be better sounding.
3. Slight hiss with my UERMs. More on low-gain than mid-gain, so I leave it on mid. 
4. I already miss my rockbox interface.
5. The UERMs sound pretty damn good straight out of the dx50 atm.
6. Having to rescan my card whenever the dx50 locks up is a PITA.
7. There are still problems scanning/reading files. I think it might have a problem with accented characters?  

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,360 of 18,652

Is this true? Thought the wolfson wouldn't sound bright.

It's not a DAC :-

It's a "digital audio transmitter that enables consumer and professional audio products to exchange 192 kHz S/PDIF and AES/EBU audio data." :-

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs8406.html

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #1,361 of 18,652

Is it me or does one of the chips say cirrus logic. I thought this thing had a wolfson dac?

Is this true? Thought the wolfson wouldn't sound bright.

The Cirrus Logic chip is probably the s/pdif transceiver. I think the idea is that it converts S/PDIF signal in to into AES/EBU(which is still digital), and is then fed to the WM8740. Don't ask me why, or what any of it means, I'm no electrical engineer :)

Maybe someone who actually has a clue can chime in? EDIT: Just realized someone already did.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,362 of 18,652

It's not a DAC :-

It's a "digital audio transmitter that enables consumer and professional audio products to exchange 192 kHz S/PDIF and AES/EBU audio data." :-

http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs8406.html

The Cirrus Logic chip is probably the s/pdif transceiver. I think the idea is that it converts S/PDIF signal in to into AES/EBU(which is still digital), and is then fed to the WM8740. Don't ask me why, or what any of it means, I'm no electrical engineer :)

Maybe someone who actually has a clue can chime in? EDIT: Just realized someone already did.

Oh ...  thanks for clarifying on that

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,363 of 18,652

Oh ...  thanks for clarifying on that

The WM is actually on the opposite side of the board (smaller centre right) :-

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,365 of 18,652
Let's get back on topic chaps. A certain member has been restricted from this thread.

I for one thought his post was both clever and funny. It certainly lightened up the complaint-fest that this thread was spiraling toward.

And this post is brought back on topic by:

So does anyone with a DX50 want to email iBasso and ask about when they are going to throw a search function in there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back