The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #18,556 of 18,652
We have a few of the black silicon cases left. You can email me at paul@ibasso.com or email us at service@ibasso.com for a quote (I don't remember the price right now).
Thank You for support Paul but original case is too thin and prone to tearing/braking. Prefer Mini Audio version. Atm it is still ok but thin matte coating layer starting to wear off and not so nice looking anymore.

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #18,557 of 18,652
Hi, guys

Is the player still good bargain to prefer over Fiio X5?

How about SACD ISO and DSD playback?

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #18,558 of 18,652
Hi, I have just taken my first steps into the realm of hi res audio. I ordered a DX50 from ebay. I have two questions.

1. It has firmware 1.9.2. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to 1.9.5? I read mixed comments in this thread.
2. I plan to use it together with a Kef M400 and/or a Beyer Dynamic BT990 Pro. Which would be the better combination? And what would be the optimal gain setting for both?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #18,559 of 18,652
Hi, I have just taken my first steps into the realm of hi res audio. I ordered a DX50 from ebay. I have two questions.

1. It has firmware 1.9.2. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to 1.9.5? I read mixed comments in this thread.
2. I plan to use it together with a Kef M400 and/or a Beyer Dynamic BT990 Pro. Which would be the better combination? And what would be the optimal gain setting for both?

Thanks in advance.
Firstly , congratulations the DX50 is a good initial step and I still would not change mine. Either set of cans should be good, remember the unit has a gain switch so you can tailor it to some extent. I use Sennheiser Momentum IIs I would always upgrade to the latest software and I am running 1.9.5 and it is very stable. I have no mods, just the vanilla iBasso firmware. Enjoy..

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #18,560 of 18,652
Thanks. The unit will arrive later this week. But by chance I spotted a mint DX90j on Ebay the day after I bought the DX50. Seller was asking just under 200, so I figured it was too good an opportunity to pass. So by the end of the week I will have both the DX50 an DX90j to play with. In the end I might sell one of them (or not :wink:). They should be both in mint condition, so that should not be a problem.

I am now checking a few different headphones, as in the Netherlands there is a sale by iBood. They offer the Onkyo H500M (€40), the Onkyo Iron Maiden (€100), the Onkyo H900M (€120), and to top it of, the Sonus Faber Pryma 01 (€240). All in all quite good prices, compared to the current or past street prices.

Any opinion on these? I am tempted to pick up at least the H500M, as I still have a 10 euro coupon, and for 30 euros it seems this can never be a bad buy.

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #18,564 of 18,652
updated mine to 1.9.5 and my dx50 restarts every time i take the cable out after i connect it to the computer..and the battery indicator shows that it's half empty but when i turn it off and connect it to the charger it says fully charged..

Same issue with my ibasso DX50.

I'm traveling, my DAP is Onkyo X1, both output sockets failed, and I sent the X1 to Romi Audio in Hong Kong for socket replacement.

Found my 3 year old DX50 in my backpack, I had forgotten about it, not used for years. It felt so good! I have a DAP again!

Updated yesterday to 1.9, deleted the firware file, and did Factory Reset. Now the ibasso DX50 is randomly restarting in every 3 minutes into the song. Sometimes 3.20min, sometimes 3.30min, but it restarts every time during playing 1st song after powering on. As it is now, my ibasso DX50 is useless, and it is firmware issue, if it was player itself, the hardware, it wouldn't play, wouldn't turn on etc. But it does turn on, plays a FLAC, and then restarts for no reason.

I removed battery, pins seem fine, battery is fully charged, battry indicator also showing battery full. Yet the DX50 keeps restarting, can't even listen 1 song from start to finish.

I'm out of ideas, this is old thread and most people here have surely moved on from DX50. In 2016 there were several posters in this thread, describing the very same issue with their DX50.

Is there a solution, or should I go and buy a new DAP? Onkyo repair will take only 1 week, usually quicker, said Romi Audio, the issue is shipping time, I'm without a DAP at least 4 weeks. That means I will buy a new DAP tomorrow, unless ibasso DX50 can be resurrected.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #18,566 of 18,652
I bought a new battery and my dx50 is back to normal.it might fix your problem too.
Thank you for reply, this thread is so old, I didntd expect anyone notice my post.

Did your DX50 behave like mine, restarting randomly, and not once a day, on every song. I can not play 1 song from start to finish, player turns off usually after about 3 minutes of play. I set the LCD to remain on, and experimented, does it it restarts on precisly same time, it does not, sometimes 3.30min, sometimes 3.45 and so on. But restart happens every time, after pressing Play button, and 3 minutes have passed.

If it is battery, I'd be happy, reading this thread I learned Galaxy S3 uses same battery, I can buy it online, easy. I hope that solves it!

It is truly hard to pass a day on holidays, walking around with Audeze Isine 20 connected to a phone, it is so painful, I rather walk in silence.

Thank you for your help, I will order a new battery right now.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #18,568 of 18,652
I still use my DX50 but stuck with the 1.9.4 because 1.9.5 kept deleting my playlists.

It keeps deleting your playlist? That must be super annoying, cresting playlists takes time, having it erased is painful, hours of setting up is erased!

I do not crescr playlist on my DAPs. I put folders on SD card, and ibternal storage lined up by file namrs. When I move the whole folder from computer to a DAP, tracks are sorted by file names.
When opening a folder in DAP, songs play in order of foldrrsf file names. Numbers 00 etc are first, and then alpabeticallya, from A to Z.

DAP can not screw up order of tracks to play, just set the Android DAP, like Onkyo X1 "list option" to play by file names. Any player where I insert my SD cards will play songs in order of file name.
I never create playlists.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #18,569 of 18,652
It keeps deleting your playlist? That must be super annoying, cresting playlists takes time, having it erased is painful, hours of setting up is erased!

I do not crescr playlist on my DAPs. I put folders on SD card, and ibternal storage lined up by file namrs. When I move the whole folder from computer to a DAP, tracks are sorted by file names.
When opening a folder in DAP, songs play in order of foldrrsf file names. Numbers 00 etc are first, and then alpabeticallya, from A to Z.

DAP can not screw up order of tracks to play, just set the Android DAP, like Onkyo X1 "list option" to play by file names. Any player where I insert my SD cards will play songs in order of file name.
I never create playlists.
Whitemouse if it helps I am using 1.9.5, just vanilla firmware. I use Sd cards with folders and numbered files (e.g. Mozart - Mozart Piano Concertos- Piano concerto 1). My DX50 seems quite stable. I don't use playlists. The cards I use are a 32 gig, 64 gig and a 128 gig. Someone raised the issue of batteries, I have a Samsung one which is OK and might last me 6-8 hours of playing time but I also have a PISEN model TS-MT I9300 which is brilliant and I can get 20-30 hours play time out of that one. Good luck!!

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #18,570 of 18,652
Same issue with my ibasso DX50.

I'm traveling, my DAP is Onkyo X1, both output sockets failed, and I sent the X1 to Romi Audio in Hong Kong for socket replacement.

Found my 3 year old DX50 in my backpack, I had forgotten about it, not used for years. It felt so good! I have a DAP again!

Updated yesterday to 1.9, deleted the firware file, and did Factory Reset. Now the ibasso DX50 is randomly restarting in every 3 minutes into the song. Sometimes 3.20min, sometimes 3.30min, but it restarts every time during playing 1st song after powering on. As it is now, my ibasso DX50 is useless, and it is firmware issue, if it was player itself, the hardware, it wouldn't play, wouldn't turn on etc. But it does turn on, plays a FLAC, and then restarts for no reason.

I removed battery, pins seem fine, battery is fully charged, battry indicator also showing battery full. Yet the DX50 keeps restarting, can't even listen 1 song from start to finish.

I'm out of ideas, this is old thread and most people here have surely moved on from DX50. In 2016 there were several posters in this thread, describing the very same issue with their DX50.

Is there a solution, or should I go and buy a new DAP? Onkyo repair will take only 1 week, usually quicker, said Romi Audio, the issue is shipping time, I'm without a DAP at least 4 weeks. That means I will buy a new DAP tomorrow, unless ibasso DX50 can be resurrected.

I bought a new battery and my dx50 is back to normal.it might fix your problem too.

2 main causes:

1) battery has gone bad with no-charge-no-play
2) SD card is formatted in exfat - reformat using FAT32

I still run my modded DX50 and it is absolute GEM DAP imho! ;P
If You get Your other stuff back, then I highly recommend to do this with Your DX50: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx50-mods.720776/page-20#post-12652071

Users who are viewing this thread

Back