The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #18,527 of 18,652
Has anyone tried this firmware by Fidelizer based on 1.9.5? I have been using it for a while and have been quite pleased with the sound quality. I recently had a problem with stuttering so I have been through various firmware since including SU 1.3.3 but I think it may have been the card I have reformatted to FAT32 from exFAT and everything seems good :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a6v4l8814yx0vvy/DX50-1.9.5-WindowsX-Purist.zip

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #18,528 of 18,652
How does it compare to SU 1.3.3 ?

I think I will give it a try since I still haven`t had time to try out original 1.9.5 :blush:

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #18,529 of 18,652
Quite similar. I really liked SU 1.3.3 but it doesn't do gapless. Most of the time this isn't a problem for me but some albums it interrupts the flow. The purist 1.9.5 is a little cleaner sounding than stock 1.9.5, not sure it is quite as detailed as SU 1.3.3. It is very balanced and non fatiguing. I have tested these with my Sennheiser HD650'S straight into the DX50 HO set to high gain. I tend to just forget I am listening to a portable. However I would be happy on the FLAC setting of SU 1.3.3. if it was gapless. Not sure which I prefer. Quite like that the Purist 1.9.5 is based on the latest iBasso firmware too. Definitely worth trying. You can't tweak it like the SU 1.3.3 though.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #18,530 of 18,652
Hello everyone. First post from an old hand at reading these posts! Now acquired a second DX50 so that I can make meaningful (to myself, anyway, not blinded, not getting into that argument!)comparison between ROMs. I've been running 1.9.5 on dual boot with Rockbox, but it takes too long to switch between them for immediate comparison as opposed to long term impressions.

So now trying Fidelizer ROM, but i'm not clever enough to work out how to dual boot that with RB. But also hoping'trying to try SU 1.3.3. So I've downloaded the file from the recently posted Dropbox (thanks very much, Geagle!), and installed it in the usual way via "System Update", and I get a UI that reports itself as iBasso (Mango) 1.50. Does SU 1.3.3 look like iBasso1.50, in the same way that Fidelizer ROM looks like normal 1.9.5? I can't believe that, as there are no extra controls, which I know it has.

Am I doing something wrong? (Maybe I'm doing something wrong with Fidelizer ROM too - maybe it shouldn't look like and report itself as 1.9.5 !

Thanks very much.

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #18,531 of 18,652
With SU 1.3.3, ROM name just displays 1.50 but it is still SU 1.3.3.
If You want extra opions menu, then turn player off, then switch lock into ON position, then turn player on again and You will have extra bootup-options menu.
After making Your selections, just turn lock buttton off and it will boot into UI.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #18,533 of 18,652
Sorry - again re SU1.3.3 - can someone point me to what the different boot settings mean? In particular what difference does it make only allowing FLAC files, what the Irr setting means, and does it really make a difference overclocking (as I assume the final setting means) the processor? So far I haven't in all honesty been able to notice any difference from Fidelizer modified 1.9.5.
Thanks.

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #18,534 of 18,652
Sorry - again re SU1.3.3 - can someone point me to what the different boot settings mean? In particular what difference does it make only allowing FLAC files, what the Irr setting means, and does it really make a difference overclocking (as I assume the final setting means) the processor? So far I haven't in all honesty been able to notice any difference from Fidelizer modified 1.9.5.
Thanks.
If Your ears and gear doesn`t make difference, then don`t bother.

But for Your interest:
* FLAC only means that kernel processing has been allowed to only decode FLAC format directly without any other internal software processing.
* Setting CPU speed makes difference in perceived soundstage/imaging and can make some frequencies more "in Your face" present. Default setting lets CPU MHZ to run "variously" according to how much data is in file to be processed. For me, default is best and most "dynamical" sounding with larger soundstage/imaging.
* IRR is actually IIR - infinite impulse response. Read up from internet for that. I keep it off and can`t make difference in sound. Some have said it works only with DX90.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #18,536 of 18,652
One other thing though, me and some other users who have tested different software extensively, have modified hardware also. For more info: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx50-mods.720776/page-20#post-12652071
This is a quite "must-do" upgrade if You wish to take out maximum from DX50 along with custom software. For example, stock Jovial capacitors are quite rubbish and making SQ quite "muddy".
Latter and other things, without changing, may "prevent" differences between software harder to notice.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #18,537 of 18,652
Yes, thanks, I'd read this. And interested in your comment that with unmodded HW SU EX was the "best". I don't know whether there's a link to that still? I've found some links but I don't read Cyrillic!

I might try HW mods one day, but I have to say the very best SQ I've found so far with stuff that I've got is DX50, coax S/PDIF out into Leckerton UHA6S Mk II with dual OPA 627 opamps.

Many thanks for your help.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #18,538 of 18,652
SUEX was yes, the best SQ with stock HW, resulting punchier tighter bass response and better mids.
I can upload it someday if You wish but takes few days. My recommendation is still to upgrade your HW on one DX50 and then compare to stock one :wink:

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #18,539 of 18,652
I have no doubt that you are right, that this is the "best" option - but a bit daunting for someone who rarely wields a soldering iron these days (although in my youth....!) I'll have another look at your instructions.
Thanks.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #18,540 of 18,652
Tried Fidelizer Purist based on 1.9.5 and to me it isn`t good as SU1.3.3 due to little too much "tszz tszzz" unnatural sounding highs (cymbals). I don`t know if it is pseudo or not but
with SU1.3.3 @ FLAC/IIR off/CPUdefault my ZS5v1 didn`t sound so "harsh" with cymbals. Also, sub-bass seems to have slightly more emphasis, maybe.
Punch and tightness of percussion and bass are quite good and soundstage/imaging is also ok.
But I`m still reverting back to SU1.3.3 and still recommend this for highest SQ with using FLAC-only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back