The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #18,571 of 18,652
2 main causes:

1) battery has gone bad with no-charge-no-play
2) SD card is formatted in exfat - reformat using FAT32

I still run my modded DX50 and it is absolute GEM DAP imho! ;P
If You get Your other stuff back, then I highly recommend to do this with Your DX50: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ibasso-dx50-mods.720776/page-20#post-12652071

Aitäh! Thank you, I will look at DX50 mod.

When it plays with 1.9.5 Firmware, the sound quality is so good! Especially considering such low cost when new. It did not sound anywhere near this good out of the box, with Firmware 1.5.
Updated to 1.9 sound quality is comparable to much more expensive DAPs.

I'm waiting for new battery, hopefully that solves the restart thing.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #18,572 of 18,652
If You don`t care about gapless play and use only FLAC format - I strongly suggest You to try modified FW - Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAConly/CPUdefault/IIRoff settings. Best SQ FW out of all I have tried (with modified hardware).

PS, if You happen to locate in Estonia/Tartu, PM me if You wish to try modified DX50 against stock one :wink:

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #18,573 of 18,652
Hello ! I have a problem with the screen: there is no image, there is only a backlight. what to do? all insides are whole.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #18,574 of 18,652
Hello ! I have a problem with the screen: there is no image, there is only a backlight. what to do? all insides are whole.
You could trade it in. We do not have any more screens for these players as they no longer make them.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #18,575 of 18,652
Everyone have a great and safe New Year! And remember, Enjoy the Music no matter what you are listening with!

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #18,576 of 18,652
You could trade it in. We do not have any more screens for these players as they no longer make them.
exchange for what? you ask $ 80 to replace the screen - it is very, very much. Why should I pay for substandard goods? The player was used carefully.
What should I do with the player? throw out? I bought a player to listen to music, and the company set me up without even providing a guarantee.

This is not done by companies that value their name.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #18,577 of 18,652
Other than a battery replacement a year ago, my DX50 had been working fine for the past 5 years. I tried powering it on today and there was no sign of power. I tried charging it for a few hours, but the charging indicator light never turned on at all. There was no past sign that the battery was deteriorating and I had just used it yesterday when it was connected to my Yamaha receiver to test out a new pair of AKG 612 pro headphones.

Any suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated as well as suggestions on a newer DAC/DAP with more power. TIA

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #18,578 of 18,652

Happy New Year Paul!

My DX50 is still going strong after the "Lock" switch was repaired several weeks back, but the "You could trade it in" sparked my interest. I am unaware of such a program - with all that blue-green-black weekday sales going on in the last couple of weeks I might have missed something.
Would you mind to elaborate and what could be expected for a DX50 in pretty good nick?

Thank you.

Cheers.

Jan 2, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #18,579 of 18,652
Too bad this was the only daps on the market with a replacement battery, it sucks companies don't listen to us customers, I mean I understand all people with iPhones have no need for replaceable batteries,that's why apple started that trend in electronics all those years ago,but it is too bad for people like me, my wife got a dx50 and she loves it, we looked at the newer ibasso line up and realized that they don't have that option, I think we will buy another 1 or maybe 2 just for parts, thank God for all the amazingly good diy daps out now, at least I can change the batteries on my zishan all on my own,but it's not the same as my wifes ibasso, I have to solder it in, but she can simply drop in a charged one and keep moving, I wish they would have kept that feature, I was ready to buy a new ibasso but I guess I will stick to my cheaper diy stuff

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #18,580 of 18,652
Well I just found out hifiman is still selling the hm650, it has a replaceable battery. So I guess that's my next dap

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #18,581 of 18,652
Other than a battery replacement a year ago, my DX50 had been working fine for the past 5 years. I tried powering it on today and there was no sign of power. I tried charging it for a few hours, but the charging indicator light never turned on at all. There was no past sign that the battery was deteriorating and I had just used it yesterday when it was connected to my Yamaha receiver to test out a new pair of AKG 612 pro headphones.

Any suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated as well as suggestions on a newer DAC/DAP with more power. TIA

I had something like that happen to my DX50, it became a brick. It was very simple issue, the 3 pins that connect to battery did not make proper contact with battery, I removed battery, and simply bent the contacts slightly, out the battery back in and all was well. Try this, maybe that's all that is needed.

Jan 2, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #18,582 of 18,652
Have been given some bluetooth headphones for Xmas and wondering if anyone can recommend a bluetooth transmitter that I can use with my DX50 (if anyone does that)?
I know newer DAP models come with bluetooth nowadays, but I like the DX50.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #18,583 of 18,652
I had something like that happen to my DX50, it became a brick. It was very simple issue, the 3 pins that connect to battery did not make proper contact with battery, I removed battery, and simply bent the contacts slightly, out the battery back in and all was well. Try this, maybe that's all that is needed.

The pins were not recessed at all, but I pulled them out a bit regardless and had no luck in getting it to work again. I'm guessing that the DX50 may have short circuited when I pulled the cable from the line out without powering off the amp nor the player. I'm not sure which part would fail and after seeing what the circuit board looks like on google images, it's not an easy fix with a soldering gun and I doubt any electronic shop would bother with it. Lesson learned about not shutting off both devices before the disconnecting them.

P.S. Interesting site to test out your hearing (Got 5/6 on my laptop without using my DX50 as a DAC)
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #18,584 of 18,652
The pins were not recessed at all, but I pulled them out a bit regardless and had no luck in getting it to work again. I'm guessing that the DX50 may have short circuited when I pulled the cable from the line out without powering off the amp nor the player. I'm not sure which part would fail and after seeing what the circuit board looks like on google images, it's not an easy fix with a soldering gun and I doubt any electronic shop would bother with it. Lesson learned about not shutting off both devices before the disconnecting them.

P.S. Interesting site to test out your hearing (Got 5/6 on my laptop without using my DX50 as a DAC)
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

That is very unfortunate.

I suppose you did the hold power and Volume Up at same time for hard reset? If this is software glitch, reset and boot into recovery mode would fix it. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, when our gear fails unexpectedly it is heart breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back