The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 21, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #17,611 of 18,652
  1) Better capacitors than those bad sounding Jovials. But this capacitor "tuning" depends on what DAC and opamp chips are being used.
If they stay with same configuration then PLEASE one of those best rated caps (Panasonic Poscap & FC series, Vishay 038RSU, Nichicon FG & FW series) that babs, me and some others have already tested & approved superior over Jovials. Panasonic POSCAP`s over regular ones all over schematic would be nice too.

2) They could leave DX50 shape basically same but expand LCD (OLED?) screen littlebit larger by moving 3 track control buttons littlebit downwards and making them smaller shaped. This would also benefit in larger artwork and touchscreen control buttons. New screen could be more energy efficient also (again - OLED screen?).

3) Please try to keep firmware based on old DX50 because developing a new OS/UI would be probably large setback in terms of sound, user friendliness and stability. Don`t start to invent bicycle if You already have pretty good one by now.

4) Battery case cover locking system could be little better I suppose.

5) Provide better silicone or other material case which has been tested to withstand static electricity problems.

6) Once again - NO scrolling wheels please! Touch-screen + manual buttons has best combination imho.
I absolutely love using my DX50 without looking at touch-screen! I don`t even have to take it out of pocket to use it and it`s great!

7) Stick with widely available user replaceable battery option but resolve issues related to lower charged battery = worse SQ.
This point is not actually mine because I haven`t been yet able to confirm it 100% but maybe there is slight decrease in SQ when battery is getting empty.

8) Around same playtime, at least 13h would be nice enough.

9) Maybe better SQ and little more powerful HO opamps?

That`s basically all I want if sound signature (DAC chip) stays same.

Totally AGREE, Yeah!

Compared my modded dx50 with the new lotto paw5000 yesterday, sounds very close, the lotto has little bit more black background and little bit more clean sound, but i still like the vocal sound from my dx50, not bad..

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #17,612 of 18,652
It's just the original battery that it came with and I haven't tried another one. I could try my S3 battery in it as that's dying. Only when it's got no bars of battery or one bar that's nearly none have I noticed it. I haven't been looking for it so I'd have to do some testing before I confirm as it might be my imagination. I've been on the go when I've had next to no battery so that might be involved, I'd need to have a proper listening session at home. There might be something about having to listen at higher volumes as at lower battery it gets quieter but, again, I can't confirm any of this.

Also I think it's sad they're discontinuing such an amazing device and hope they continue to produce great DAP's. I'm assuming, hoping, there will still be great levels of support from iBasso for the DX50 right?

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #17,613 of 18,652
Compared my modded dx50 with the new lotto paw5000 yesterday, sounds very close, the lotto has little bit more black background and little bit more clean sound, but i still like the vocal sound from my dx50, not bad..

Always interested when people compare equipment sound. Did you listen at matched volumes and identical tracks and track positions on both?

Jul 24, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #17,615 of 18,652
But did You use source-switch or just plugged in/out IEM jack between players? I know it can make a difference and play tricks with Your mind/ears. I just made a simple source selector switch finally, 3x female 3.5mm sockets + 7 wires, easy but very useful thing when comparing gear.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #17,616 of 18,652
I can confirm that plug in out isn't the most reliable way of testing gears, at least for me that is. Whioe I woudln't go so far as building a switcher, blind-testing with switcher is usually the best way to confirm changes. (I have taken a few lessons from reading various user reviews so always take personal opinion with a grain of salt, nonetheless it's the opinion that makes a disscussion no :D)

Jul 24, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #17,618 of 18,652
Edit. Here ya go, very simple basic source switch but it works very well. Forgot to mention about tumbler switch before, sorry. And the cables are exact same length, if it counts anything (impedance?).

Accordingly how You use it:
1) middle is source input and sides are for headphones.
2) middle is source output to IEM/HP and sides are source inputs.

Btw, thank You for reminding me about it, wanted to make nice little wooden box for it :wink:

Would have used 3-rail tumbler to make ground also source-dependent and separated but that 2-rail tumbler was just readily available in my toolbox. But separate ground shouldn`t make noticeable difference imo.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #17,619 of 18,652
I recently upgraded to 1.9.3 from 1.9.2 and have searched high and low over the last few months to no avail. Why is gapless on = crossfade and gapless off creates a large space between tracks? Am I doing something wrong? Every answer I've found to date has been in response to older firmware a la 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 I just want seemless playback the way it is on the CD 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #17,620 of 18,652
  I recently upgraded to 1.9.3 from 1.9.2 and have searched high and low over the last few months to no avail. Why is gapless on = crossfade and gapless off creates a large space between tracks? Am I doing something wrong? Every answer I've found to date has been in response to older firmware a la 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 I just want seemless playback the way it is on the CD 

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I get gapless with gapless on but no crossfade. Maybe do the factory reset.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #17,622 of 18,652
uuuhm, I have a question with for you guy - after I updated to the last stock firmware and dac driver, the device get's quite hot when used as DAC with line out... not warm but hot. have any of you noticed the same? :/

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #17,623 of 18,652
Dear all,

I have a question regarding gapless setting in V1.9.2

DX50 allows me to switch between On and Off in Gapless settings. By default it is set to On.
However, there is a 3-4 second gap between all tracks. 

Also if I pause some track and choose another one, I will still hear the previous track ending before the new one starts.

How can I fix it? 

Regards,
U6astik

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,624 of 18,652
  Dear all,

I have a question regarding gapless setting in V1.9.2

DX50 allows me to switch between On and Off in Gapless settings. By default it is set to On.
However, there is a 3-4 second gap between all tracks. 

Also if I pause some track and choose another one, I will still hear the previous track ending before the new one starts.

How can I fix it? 

Regards,
U6astik

I'm going to suggest the same thing that was suggested to me only a few posts up. Restore factory defaults in the advanced settings. I took out my memory card before doing this to be safe and then resynced the card after the fact. cleared up my problems in under 5 mins. 

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #17,625 of 18,652
Hi guys, the headphone port on my dx50 seems to have come a little loose and therefore the sound seems to be cutting out every now and then. Is there something I can do? I've had the player 1 day over the year as luck would have it :frowning2: so warranty repair would be out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back