The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 15, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #17,581 of 18,652
  Ok. It`s good news actually. Maybe they will not use those crappy sounding Jovial caps on the new "DX5x" and use also some better other components too. 
One thing though, I really wish they will stick with that 3-button control design for using without touchscreen. Also NO scrolling wheels please! 
wink.gif

I agree No scrolling wheels please.
I'm ready for a new dap from iBasso, I think they are a great group to offer a products such as the DX50 and DX90.

Coil what would you like to see in a new DAP?

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #17,582 of 18,652

Coil what would you like to see in a new DAP?

1) Better capacitors than those bad sounding Jovials. But this capacitor "tuning" depends on what DAC and opamp chips are being used.
If they stay with same configuration then PLEASE one of those best rated caps (Panasonic Poscap & FC series, Vishay 038RSU, Nichicon FG & FW series) that babs, me and some others have already tested & approved superior over Jovials. Panasonic POSCAP`s over regular ones all over schematic would be nice too.

2) They could leave DX50 shape basically same but expand LCD (OLED?) screen littlebit larger by moving 3 track control buttons littlebit downwards and making them smaller shaped. This would also benefit in larger artwork and touchscreen control buttons. New screen could be more energy efficient also (again - OLED screen?).

3) Please try to keep firmware based on old DX50 because developing a new OS/UI would be probably large setback in terms of sound, user friendliness and stability. Don`t start to invent bicycle if You already have pretty good one by now.

4) Battery case cover locking system could be little better I suppose.

5) Provide better silicone or other material case which has been tested to withstand static electricity problems.

6) Once again - NO scrolling wheels please! Touch-screen + manual buttons has best combination imho.
I absolutely love using my DX50 without looking at touch-screen! I don`t even have to take it out of pocket to use it and it`s great!

7) Stick with widely available user replaceable battery option but resolve issues related to lower charged battery = worse SQ.
This point is not actually mine because I haven`t been yet able to confirm it 100% but maybe there is slight decrease in SQ when battery is getting empty.

8) Around same playtime, at least 13h would be nice enough.

9) Maybe better SQ and little more powerful HO opamps?

That`s basically all I want if sound signature (DAC chip) stays same.

Jul 15, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #17,583 of 18,652
  1) Better capacitors than those bad sounding Jovials. But this capacitor "tuning" depends on what DAC and opamp chips are being used.
If they stay with same configuration then PLEASE one of those best rated caps (Panasonic Poscap & FC series, Vishay 038RSU, Nichicon FG & FW series) that babs, me and some others have already tested & approved superior over Jovials. Panasonic POSCAP`s over regular ones all over schematic would be nice too.

2) They could leave DX50 shape basically same but expand LCD (OLED?) screen littlebit larger by moving 3 track control buttons littlebit downwards and making them smaller shaped. This would also benefit in larger artwork and touchscreen control buttons. New screen could be more energy efficient also (again - OLED screen?).

3) Please try to keep firmware based on old DX50 because developing a new OS/UI would be probably large setback in terms of sound, user friendliness and stability. Don`t start to invent bicycle if You already have pretty good one by now.

4) Battery case cover locking system could be little better I suppose.

5) Provide better silicone or other material case which has been tested to withstand static electricity problems.

6) Once again - NO scrolling wheels please! Touch-screen + manual buttons has best combination imho.
I absolutely love using my DX50 without looking at touch-screen! I don`t even have to take it out of pocket to use it and it`s great!

7) Stick with widely available user replaceable battery option but resolve issues related to lower charged battery = worse SQ.
This point is not actually mine because I haven`t been yet able to confirm it 100% but maybe there is slight decrease in SQ when battery is getting empty.

8) Around same playtime, at least 13h would be nice enough.

9) Maybe better SQ and little more powerful HO opamps?

That`s basically all I want if sound signature (DAC chip) stays same.

You surprise me i agree with everything you said.
1 and 2  are biggies! I've heard you mention 1 before and i research you know what your talking about.
7 I just experience that today on my commute home, I'm usually all charge before my commute but not today and i believe i experience slight decrease for the first time. Had to add gain something i never do. DX50 + MSR7

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #17,584 of 18,652

We will see what we can do with this but it will be a few weeks.

Well, as I say, it isn't preventing use of the DAC so I'm happy enough right now. I don't have any volume controls in KDE but the vol +/- on the DX50 are sufficient. I need to do some testing with (an)other distro(s) as my initial research shows there have been bugs with usb_audio, possibly with fixes not being applied in Debian-based OSes: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1265103

Either way, good to see issues like this being addressed!
redface.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #17,585 of 18,652
I really wish I knew why some files on playlists have trouble importing on these newer firmwares.  Still have to stick with 1.6 which isn't perfect but considerably better in that regard.  It's not a matter of weird characters or length so I really don't know what the issue is (they show up and work fine when I navigate through directories, but just won't appear when I import a playlist that has them).  

By the way, is the apostrophe issue actually being looked into or is that just something we'll always have to deal with?

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #17,586 of 18,652
Hrm got the new DX50 today and just plugged it in for the DAC and the delay has returned on 192khz despite running the latest driver 

Any ideas? 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #17,587 of 18,652
DAC function working great on my Mac with Bit Perfect App.  Note that any songs that you have added to "My Music" using that new service are DRM and the Mac won't pass them on to the DAC. :frowning2:  

Still love the DX50,. I've had it since "batch 6" October 2013 with firmware 1.2.0 and glad to see the continued updates.  

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #17,588 of 18,652
  I really wish I knew why some files on playlists have trouble importing on these newer firmwares.  Still have to stick with 1.6 which isn't perfect but considerably better in that regard.  It's not a matter of weird characters or length so I really don't know what the issue is (they show up and work fine when I navigate through directories, but just won't appear when I import a playlist that has them).  

By the way, is the apostrophe issue actually being looked into or is that just something we'll always have to deal with?

I posted about this twice already. It is caused by a single tick in the string. If you have something like this in the PC playlist:

/mnt/external_sd/Alvin Lee/Keep on Rockin'/05 - The Bluest Blues (feat. George Harrison).flac

If this string gets imported, it WILL fail, because the import function reads the string until it hits the "'" between the n and the / of Rockin'/05.

Prior to Version 1.9.3 the device could not even export a song like this using the DX50 export function on the device.

Every junior software engineer knows how to properly "escape" strings - This is a must have knowledge if you have to deal with so many languages...

Oddly enough the change (export on the device works) they made is not mentioned in the change log....

Cheers.

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #17,589 of 18,652
I just realized having bought a new 128GB microSD card it takes 6hours to transfer 120GB of music to the SDCard and it isnt the SDCards problem. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #17,592 of 18,652

I posted about this twice already. It is caused by a single tick in the string. If you have something like this in the PC playlist:

/mnt/external_sd/Alvin Lee/Keep on Rockin'/05 - The Bluest Blues (feat. George Harrison).flac

If this string gets imported, it WILL fail, because the import function reads the string until it hits the "'" between the n and the / of Rockin'/05.

Prior to Version 1.9.3 the device could not even export a song like this using the DX50 export function on the device.

Every junior software engineer knows how to properly "escape" strings - This is a must have knowledge if you have to deal with so many languages...

Oddly enough the change (export on the device works) they made is not mentioned in the change log....

Cheers.

I guess I made things a bit unclear by adding in that bit about apostrophes, but the issues I was talking about with importing have nothing to do with that.  There are simply songs with no odd characters in their entire path nor do they have an excessive number of characters that won't show up in a playlist after I import it.  This doesn't happen too much in 1.6 but it's much more rampant in later firmwares.  The only thing I can think is maybe something is wrong with the files themselves, however I would think they wouldn't play properly nor show up when I use the directory mode, but they do (and if the files were corrupt in some way, why would they import in 1.6 but not later firmwares?).

I was already aware of the apostrophe thing and was just curious if they were actually planning on fixing that.  I mean in the meantime I can get around that by removing apostrophes (though it is super tedious) but the general import problem I'm having is something I haven't found a solution to (I don't know if anyone else has even had the issue).

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #17,594 of 18,652
@aak57:

Stupid question....you made a factory reset every time you switched FW versions, did you?

Quite frankly, I am running dual boot RockBox for the last 2 weeks or so and my wooden ears cannot tell an enormous difference in SQ (flat settings) between the two.

BUT

In RockBox Playlists and even more important to me ReplayGain works flawless....

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back