The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 15, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #17,296 of 18,652
You cannot have only rockbox. Rockbox on DX50 is with dualboot. Dualboot is enabled if you leave hold switch up while you are booting. The player remembers what you have chosen until you boot the next time with hold active. Long time no mango that you forgot that, n'est pas? 
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #17,297 of 18,652
Hi guys, anyone knows how to go back with the stock firmware (last one obviously) from Rockbox. I did this in the past but I can't find that guide. 

I'm currently doing a review of the FiiO X3 II and I would like to make a comparison with the DX 50 but with the original software.

Thank you in any case :)

If it is dual-booted then it is the same process as installing it. Actually, are you using a newer version of Rockbox? Because it used to require CWM, but now you can use stock recovery.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #17,298 of 18,652

I'm currently doing a review of the FiiO X3 II and I would like to make a comparison with the DX 50 but with the original software.

I wish You would use SU 1.3.3 
tongue.gif
 ...it held strong against X5, AK100II and some others with that FW. Wonder how it is compared to X3II because latter is getting very good reviews.

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #17,299 of 18,652
  You cannot have only rockbox. Rockbox on DX50 is with dualboot. Dualboot is enabled if you leave hold switch up while you are booting. The player remembers what you have chosen until you boot the next time with hold active. Long time no mango that you forgot that, n'est pas? 
wink.gif

Well mine seems to have only rockbox because I'm trying to boot on mango with no success 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Yes it should be 6 months more or less that I only use Rockbox!

If it is dual-booted then it is the same process as installing it. Actually, are you using a newer version of Rockbox? Because it used to require CWM, but now you can use stock recovery.

I don't remember which one is it. I can read a5392caM-141122 from System/Rockbox Info

I wish You would use SU 1.3.3 
tongue.gif
 ...it held strong against X5, AK100II and some others with that FW. Wonder how it is compared to X3II because latter is getting very good reviews.

Really? Is it better than 1.9.2? Any problem with playback stuttering? I've never tried any SU firmware. Do you have any guide to flash it from rockbox? If I'm not wrong I should have the CMW but no idea how to boot on it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #17,303 of 18,652
Better than 1.9.2 ...YES! You can ask from other members too of course, just my opinion but I`m sure I`m not alone 
wink.gif

And if You have no idea about SU firmware, then let me remind it has hidden bootup menu from where You can choose some sound and format settings: 

Sound Unlocked has "Hidden" bootup menu. To access it You must:

1) Turn OFF DX50 
2) Slide HOLD button to ON/LOCKED position
3) Turn ON DX50 while hold button is still ON/LOCKED position
4) You will lauch into bootup menu where You can select different settings. Choose what You prefer.
    I recommend to start with FLAC/irr off/cpu default (for large airy soundstage) or FLAC/irr on/cpu 312 (for more intimate/foward soundstage)
5) Slide hold button to OFF position and player will return into UI using settings You selected. They will stay regardless restart/turn on-off until You change them.

1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

...or test Your own setting and find what fits best, these are just 2 main different sounding settings to start with.

Download Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 from here: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/raw/master/releases/dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.3.7z

And to make sure install and everything goes without problems:
  1. Delete everything on DX50 internal memory.
2. Unpack Sound Unlocked .7z file. Unpacked it says update.img - copy this to DX50 internal memory. Disconnect DX50 from PC.
3. Go to DX50 settings menu > Advanced > System update.
4. After install has finished and DX50 has rebooted connect to PC again and delete everything on internal memory. Disconnect from PC.
5. Go to DX50 settings menu > advanced > factory reset.
6. Sound Unlocked should be installed now and system info should show up as 1.5.0.
7. Now You can try settings from that hidden bootup menu.
8. Enjoy!

Edit: NB! Battery should be charged enough before updating!

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #17,304 of 18,652
  Better than 1.9.2 ...YES! You can ask from other members too of course, just my opinion but I`m sure I`m not alone 
wink.gif

And if You have no idea about SU firmware, then let me remind it has hidden bootup menu from where You can choose some sound and format settings: 

Download Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 from here: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/raw/master/releases/dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.3.7z

And to make sure install and everything goes without problems:

Thank you, the problem is that from the stock recovery I can't install any firmware update because it says it can't find anything. 
biggrin.gif

Any way to install CWM ? 

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #17,307 of 18,652
  from a user experience point of view I see no contest... FiiO wins hands down

Each to his own. I prefer it DX50 way. But how about X3ii sound vs. DX50 ?

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #17,308 of 18,652
Comparing these three DAP at my Audio store, from left: Lotto Paw Gold, my DX50 Mod SU 1.3.3 and Fiio X3 ii, note the Hidizs on the right is only a case.

Definitely I still prefer my DX50 sound than the X3 ii, more dynamic and bass more punch (maybe because the mod), but i found x3 ii has good detail, but little bassy for my taste ..

And for the lotto.. hmm very analogue sound, dark.. what else, i cant say, of course its very heavy i'm afraid if it is falls down and hit someone's head
tongue.gif

Also trying this stuff:

Sounds really good
beyersmile.png

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #17,309 of 18,652
  Each to his own. I prefer it DX50 way. But how about X3ii sound vs. DX50 ?

Well it's still to soon to talk since I got it just today. Some early impressions with internal amp and with my LZ12 (I could change some of these thoughts later):

The X3 II has more forwarded mids/voice with equilibrated sound (I thought it was more coloured). The DX50 has better highs (lot better to me), more mid-bass with better bass slam and overall warmer sound signature. The DX50 seems to have slighty better soundstage while the instruments separation is really close with these two DAP. In terms of detail I think the DX50 is clearly superior. Well at the moment I think DX50 but I would say these are really close.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #17,310 of 18,652
  Comparing these three DAP at my Audio store, from left: Lotto Paw Gold, my DX50 Mod SU 1.3.3 and Fiio X3 ii, note the Hidizs on the right is only a case.

Definitely I still prefer my DX50 sound than the X3 ii, more dynamic and bass more punch (maybe because the mod), but i found x3 ii has good detail, but little bassy for my taste ..

And for the lotto.. hmm very analogue sound, dark.. what else, i cant say, of course its very heavy i'm afraid if it is falls down and hit someone's head
tongue.gif

From my first listening I agree with you. I need to try some external amp to see how the DAC performs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back