The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 2, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #17,179 of 18,652
This is totally subjective and depends on many things... but by my taste/hearing/reference point/gear etc.:
* without any HW upgrades - probably SUEX and NDFFF with just little edge over SU 1.3.3 because of bass/kick tightness and presence. NDFFF has littlebit bright highs for me. SU 1.3.3 soundstage and imaging is slightly better than SUEX imo.
* with capacitor upgrade - SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC/ IIR off/ CPU Default.

Sometime ago somebody compared DX50 with AK100mkII, X5 and some others ...already with SU 1.3.3 FW It came really close to more expensive/respected DAPs in terms of detail and soundstage... imagine what it can be with some hardware upgrades :wink:

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #17,180 of 18,652
  This is totally subjective and depends on many things... but by my taste/hearing/reference point/gear etc.:
* without any HW upgrades - probably SUEX and NDFFF with just little edge over SU 1.3.3 because of bass/kick tightness and presence. NDFFF has littlebit bright highs for me. SU 1.3.3 soundstage and imaging is slightly better than SUEX imo.
* with capacitor upgrade - SU 1.3.3 @ FLAC/ IIR off/ CPU Default.

Sometime ago somebody compared DX50 with AK100mkII, X5 and some others ...already with SU 1.3.3 FW It came really close to more expensive/respected DAPs in terms of detail and soundstage... imagine what it can be with some hardware upgrades :wink:

Thank you.

Where can I find them? I could not see them in the first post.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #17,181 of 18,652
https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

SUEX is not public as far as I know but I think someone posted uploaded link in this thread ...use search.

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,184 of 18,652
Thanks very much for the links. There are many to choose from.

What I'm interested in is SU 1.3.3.

Can you guys point me to that one please? 

Jun 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #17,185 of 18,652
  Thanks very much for the links. There are many to choose from.

What I'm interested in is SU 1.3.3.

Can you guys point me to that one please? 

That's in Coil's link, above
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #17,187 of 18,652
Got it! Thanks guys! (seems like there's so many) :p

No these are just a few of the actually many :)

DOC has about 65 FW available for download: http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&s=42fe48c974891b45aaeff4305055ef14 I recommend using Microsoft(Bing) translator it is better than Google translator for Russian.

Dmitry's FW are excellent work too - all in all he has about 10 versions: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

In these links there must be available for downloading and testing on your DX50s guys at least 75 versions of FW and that doesn't include any Rockbox or SU Rockbox versions!!! No other portable audio player had or has so many FW versions in history!

If that is not enough here is a mind-boggling amount of ways to tune Rockbox for different phones and large number of Rockbox versions. http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=143224

My post doesn't include Rockbox SU and several Rockbox versions and dual-boot versions, also no original FW versions, they are all available at ibasso's site.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #17,188 of 18,652
I'm still not very good at describing sound and still feel I'm probably placebo-ing the F out of these FW's. But for some reason my brain is enjoying NDFFF more than SU 1.3.3. Having Gapless working smoothly also helps.

Would you guys please recommend some songs that will definitely sound different under different firmwares?. I know sound perception depends on equipment (DX50 + M50x in my case) and many other factors,  but I still would like to know :)

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #17,189 of 18,652
  guys, stop it... You make me think about changing amp also -.-

Although, I already enjoy my DX50 sound very much and find nothing lacking with my gear after caps+ SU 1.3.3.

But If I`m going to upgrade amp, then it`s good excuse to put in some oxicaps too, finally ;D

Wait before putting Oxicap... I am just finishing some extensive testing with various Caps, and I plan to put a review soon in DX50 MODs forum

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #17,190 of 18,652
I'm still not very good at describing sound and still feel I'm probably placebo-ing the F out of these FW's. But for some reason my brain is enjoying NDFFF more than SU 1.3.3. Having Gapless working smoothly also helps.

Would you guys please recommend some songs that will definitely sound different under different firmwares?. I know sound perception depends on equipment (DX50 + M50x in my case) and many other factors,  but I still would like to know :)

One reason why you can't hear the difference might be using an amp. Or may be the M50x just demands a bit more power than the DX50's built-in amp can deliver to fully unveil all the sonic characteristics(thus all the differences) of the FW?

I can hear the differences with my studio monitors, but they are different - Japanese monitors from Victor studio which deliver about 60Ohms throughout the spectrum. As as an example - with more powerful amps the higher Ohm Sure SR840 monitor and Sure SR940 monitor get a bit closer to the Victor MX10B but on weaker amps they just cant keep in the same league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back