The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #17,146 of 18,652
Here are the picture of the DX50 with the Meenova in place, for reference I also have a Nexus 5 phone with it too. The little USB is the adapter to use when connecting to a computer.

As for the operation, I have the same performance and features as any other OTG memory I have tried thus far minus this one take less space and do not seem to drain the battery much more than with just the internal MicroSD.

OverView:

Close up:

May 30, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #17,147 of 18,652
Here are the picture of the DX50 with the Meenova in place, for reference I also have a Nexus 5 phone with it too. The little USB is the adapter to use when connecting to a computer.

As for the operation, I have the same performance and features as any other OTG memory I have tried thus far minus this one take less space and do not seem to drain the battery much more than with just the internal MicroSD.

The Meenova seems like a neat little device. However, for the record, there is at least one user reporting huge battery drain using it on his DX90 (see here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/3855#post_11645428 )

May 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #17,148 of 18,652
The Meenova seems like a neat little device. However, for the record, there is at least one user reporting huge battery drain using it on his DX90 (see here : http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/3855#post_11645428 )

Well that make it 50/50 if I am the only one reporting no major battery drain issue. Well since I am actually using it on DX50 that make it 100%. :)

In all seriousness, I have not seen much increased drain in all the other device I have plugged this in. What I mean it is not beyond you would expect if you were doubling your accessible memory on those device. I say perhaps it has more to do with the brand/type of MicroSD in it than the device itself. The MicroSD I have used are 64Gb sandisk, Patriot, and Kingston. Also previous used many same brand included Adata in 32Gb format. Recently SanDisk Ultra and Kingston 128Gb. All were at least Class 10 with the more recent UHS-1 or UHS-3. Not that the most recent speed class is necessary for most music play but I am thinking it may be of higher quality. I have seen some cheap MicroSD, even fake one, run hot which seem indicative of lower end component being pushed.

Zak

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #17,149 of 18,652
Haven't been around for some time and I noticed several new DX50 users comparing FW sonic characteristics. If you allow me - my advice is to do the comparisons again adding to the mix the mighty, mighty SU EX.
As the SU in the name suggests this FW is made by Dima and is in his taste and style, so those who prefer sound signature closer to DOCs taste will feel a big shift in the sonic signature.
Those who have tried and liked SU 1.3.3 will definitely be even more astonished by SU EX.
For those who's interests includes not only portable audio - SU EX sounds like Mike Creek's high-end Epos speakers driven by a good tube amp.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #17,151 of 18,652
Yeah, SUEX is great but unfortunately buggy, once it crashed then only reinstall will fix libraries, thats what medmitry told me.
But SU 1.3.3 has littlebit better soundstage/imaging and capacitor upgrade will make bass/kick tightness and punch same as SUEX :wink:

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #17,152 of 18,652
Does it handle gapless? If not, it's not going to win me over from Doc's Final.

I am not sure as I never used gapless in my life, but I believe it doesn't. It is very worthy listening to even as a "test drive" - just have in mind it needs a minute to reach optimal performance - this is no voodoo it is due to how it handles the cpu.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #17,153 of 18,652
Yeah, SUEX is great but unfortunately buggy, once it crashed then only reinstall will fix libraries, thats what medmitry told me.
But SU 1.3.3 has littlebit better soundstage/imaging and capacitor upgrade will make bass/kick tightness and punch same as SUEX :wink:

I know that dmitry warned everybody about bugs in SU EX, but it has always been flawless for me - never crashed on my DX50, not a single time.

To me EX has very precise and accurate imaging - one of the amazing things about it - Analogue and dynamic but precise and detailed!!

A combination of dynamic and very analogue sound with precise imaging and detailed sound - that's not very often and absolutely not close to this price point. One guaranteed way to enjoy SU EX is to hit it with some great vocals - just wait and enjoy how it will handle them. To me SU EX + MX10 Victor Studio Monitor or HiFiMan ER-400 is the ultimate ticket to vocal paradise - when you are in the mood Nina Simone and Billie Holiday sound like never before :wink:

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #17,154 of 18,652
Well, no doubt it is very good. If I hadn`t done cap upgrade then I would probably use it but I did and with upgraded caps SU 1.3.3 is better, IMHO.
Though, difference isn`t big. And another maybe not so important thing are UI functions that SUEX doesn`t have.
But SUEX has been so far only FW that almost fixes DX50 main fault - lack of bass/kick tightness and presence.
If hardware upgrades are not an option, then I definitely also recommend to try SUEX
wink.gif

But be warned - it might crash and there have been many crash reports about it (some maybe not in public discussion).
I had a crash with it and then I was stuck in one "sound", didn`t matter what I chose from bootup menu.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #17,155 of 18,652
Well, no doubt it is very good. If I hadn`t done cap upgrade then I would probably use it but I did and with upgraded caps SU 1.3.3 is better, IMHO.
Though, difference isn`t big. And another maybe not so important thing are UI functions that SUEX doesn`t have.
But SUEX has been so far only FW that almost fixes DX50 main fault - lack of bass/kick tightness and presence.
If hardware upgrades are not an option, then I definitely also recommend to try SUEX:wink:  
But be warned - it might crash and there have been many crash reports about it (some maybe not in public discussion).
I had a crash with it and then I was stuck in one "sound", didn`t matter what I chose from bootup menu.

I am sure that the capacitor upgrade (and you chose some nice caps as long as I remember) is worth much more than a firmware. The cap upgrade makes SU EX useless as given the new caps flashing SU EX will actually have reverse effect on the lower frequencies. May be it's the synergy with the Victor studio monitors, but I haven't flashed anything besides SU 1.3.3 and SU EX lately.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #17,156 of 18,652
I have decided that I like NDFUFF better than SU 1.3.3. I find NDFUFF is better for enjoying the music and SU 1.3.3 is better for listening to the music.

As far as SU EX I gave always praised it. I just had a couple of issues with stability so I stopped using it. The sound is fantastic though.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #17,158 of 18,652
Hi guys, i think im having a problem with my DX50, I tried installing the latest firmware upgrade, 1.9.2, followed all the instructions but when i rebooted the system with CWM (rockbox 1.5.0), the installation was aborted. Can anyone tell me how exactly we could remove the CWM from our DX50? (I could not understand this part clearly). 

If you want to uninstall CWM and go back to the stock recovery, simply flash the stock_recovery.zip file in CWM and the original ibasso recovery will be restored.  I'm not quite sure what the other files are, but they seem to be sound tweaks which are also flashable in CWM, and one of the file contains font tweaks, possibly for rockbox.

Cheers guys!

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #17,159 of 18,652
  and dont forget, replacing with the right opamp also affect sound quality so much, its more clearer and larger soundstage than only change the caps..

I'm really interested in trying these mods, but not when my DX50 is my only quality source component. But luckily we're moving soon, so I'll finally have the space for a proper setup and I can tinker with my DX50.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #17,160 of 18,652
Hi guys, i think im having a problem with my DX50, I tried installing the latest firmware upgrade, 1.9.2, followed all the instructions but when i rebooted the system with CWM (rockbox 1.5.0), the installation was aborted. Can anyone tell me how exactly we could remove the CWM from our DX50? (I could not understand this part clearly). 

If you want to uninstall CWM and go back to the stock recovery, simply flash the 

Cheers guys!

I thought that Rockbox didn't need CWM anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back