The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
May 28, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #17,116 of 18,652
Today got my KINPS 3150mAh battery. I fully charged it before use. I also listened to near-empty stock Pisen battery and measured it`s voltage output before it got totally empty (it was 3.63V).
New freshly charged battery measured 4.38V. With new KINPS battery I heard no difference using same song at same volume level. 

Should soon get my claimed to be Japan cell battery and give feedback if I notice any sound change with that one.

May 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #17,118 of 18,652
@Coyley ,if You read littlebit backwards few pages, You see that many claim to hear difference with HQ battery. Since my replacement battery starter to "swell" I bought new one and was just interested about those claims. But we will see soon when I get another battery.

May 28, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #17,119 of 18,652
CoiL

Why not trying with the original samsung battery? Because many claim the samsung is the best replacement battery not the other brand.

Is that your new upcoming claimed to be japan cell battery is samsung? So this is really japan cell? I'm afraid it's just a marketing strategy.

What the different between Samsung made in japan?

Enough confusing about battery, now i'm planning to replace the opamp of my DX50, probably with the 627, its definitely affect the sound quality much more than replacing battery. My friend did it, and it sound really good, no need expensive external amp, and quite cheap mod. Have you try these mod?

May 28, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #17,120 of 18,652
Hey! Quick question. I installed SU 1.3.3 using Coil´s instructions. Everything looks fine, but Gapless is still working... wut? (i think) Although I might be wrong (buts sounds very gapless IMO lol)... So my question is ...Do I need to enable the firmware features from the "Hidden" bootup menu?. I open it and the configuration was: ALL,  irr, CPUfreq default.

If that is correct, Would that mean that I have the option of disabling "stuff" from the Bootup menu whenever I want? (maybe to use gapless without the SU 1.3.3 distinctive SQ, if I want). Probably not.

Excuse my ignorance and my english, I speak spanish :p

PS: Oh, and one more thing. My DX50 does some kind of "clicking" sound when turned on and off. Is that normal?

Thank you!

EDIT: I tried the 2 recommended settings (FLAConly + irrOFF +CPUdefault / FLAConly + irrON + CPU312KHz) and yes gapless does not work with them. Went back to ALL and gapless happens. Am I doing something wrong?.

May 28, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #17,121 of 18,652
Same question, so @CoiL can you explain what the different between:

ALL / LOSELESS / FLAC and also irr OFF / irr ON in terms of sound quality? Why it can affected?

About the CPU freq i can hear the different, 312 is more brighter than the Default, especially with my iem.

I need the gapless function work just because it solved the cutoff problem in the beginnng of tracks, so i will choose ALL or LOSELESS. (Edit: Gapless doesn't work with Loseless). So, the question: is these setting sound as good as Loseless/FLAC mode? (iir OFF and cpu freq DEFAULT)

@CyberJuanito i heard clicking too, its quite loud, make sure to putt off your iem / hp before turn it on / off. Dont know if this is normal or not, but my past DAP sound clicking too..

May 28, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #17,122 of 18,652
  Hey! Quick question. I installed SU 1.3.3 using Coil´s instructions. Everything looks fine, but Gapless is still working... wut? (i think) Although I might be wrong (buts sounds very gapless IMO lol)... So my question is ...Do I need to enable the firmware features from the "Hidden" bootup menu?. I open it and the configuration was: ALL,  irr, CPUfreq default.

If that is correct, Would that mean that I have the option of disabling "stuff" from the Bootup menu whenever I want? (maybe to use gapless without the SU 1.3.3 distinctive SQ, if I want). Probably not.

Excuse my ignorance and my english, I speak spanish :p

PS: Oh, and one more thing. My DX50 does some kind of "clicking" sound when turned on and off. Is that normal?

Thank you!

EDIT: I tried the 2 recommended settings (FLAConly + irrOFF +CPUdefault / FLAConly + irrON + CPU312KHz) and yes gapless does not work with them. Went back to ALL and gapless happens. Am I doing something wrong?.

The clicking is very normal. I'm not exactly sure about your first question, but you can adjust the hidden settings every time you boot your DX50. If you use lossles or flac only then gapless does not work. If you put it on all then gapless works as well as stock firmware.

Quote:
  Same question, so @CoiL can you explain what the different between:

ALL / LOSELESS / FLAC and also irr OFF / irr ON in terms of sound quality? Why it can affected?

About the CPU freq i can hear the different, 312 is more brighter than the Default, especially with my iem.

I need the gapless function work just because it solved the cutoff problem in the beginnng of tracks, so i will choose ALL or LOSELESS. (Edit: Gapless doesn't work with Loseless). So, the question: is these setting sound as good as Loseless/FLAC mode? (iir OFF and cpu freq DEFAULT)

@CyberJuanito i heard clicking too, its quite loud, make sure to putt off your iem / hp before turn it on / off. Dont know if this is normal or not, but my past DAP sound clicking too..

IRR off with default sounds more analog and dynamic while IRR on with 312 sounds more clinical and bright. The soundstage is bigger with it off, but some instruments may not have enough presence for some people. With it on the sound stage is more intimate. Personally, I think if you are a vocals person then it is better off with default, but if you like the instruments more then you should turn it on with 312. I think the sound is cleaner and more transparent with the settings on lossless or FLAC only. On the all setting there is a bit of added color and warmth which I guess could be a plus for some people. The general consensus has been that there isn't a difference or that FLAC only is better.

May 29, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #17,123 of 18,652
So, after listening again

I think the sound is cleaner and more transparent with the settings on lossless or FLAC only. On the all setting there is a bit of added color and warmth which I guess could be a plus for some people. The general consensus has been that there isn't a difference or that FLAC only is better.

Agreed, for me i prefer Loseless/FLAC setting because it more clean than ALL setting. Too bad every my first track will cutoff because gapless doesn't work.

IRR off with default sounds more analog and dynamic while IRR on with 312 sounds more clinical and bright. The soundstage is bigger with it off, but some instruments may not have enough presence for some people. With it on the sound stage is more intimate. Personally, I think if you are a vocals person then it is better off with default, but if you like the instruments more then you should turn it on with 312.

I can't hear the soundstage different, but i agree if IRR on with 312 is more bright and the instruments sounds little bit clearer. But i noticed that my IEM (Carbo Tenore) is suitable with "IRR On with 312" while my Headphone (DT770 Pro/80) is suitable with "IRR Off with Default" because more dynamic.

Anyway, still hope the Loseless/FLAC settings will support gapless so my tracks doesn't cutoff anymore.. Is it possible?

May 29, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #17,124 of 18,652
No. Only way is to make single file FLAC rips and use cue sheet. I use it like this - works. But I don`t care about gapless anyway.

May 29, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #17,125 of 18,652
I tried, but like i said in my older post, it only work when i press next button, when i select track for the first time or after pause the current track and then play the other track i noticed a cut off about 0,7s in the beginning, a quite much cut.

I don't care about the gapless too, but i don't want my track cut off in the beginning. So i faced the dilemma, change to "ALL" settings and no cut off, but i prefer the sound of "Loseless/FLAC" settings.

May 29, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #17,126 of 18,652
Weird that You are having cut-off in beginning of song. I just tested it in the way You mentioned not working and I`m having no cut-offs.

May 29, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #17,127 of 18,652
  I tried, but like i said in my older post, it only work when i press next button, when i select track for the first time or after pause the current track and then play the other track i noticed a cut off about 0,7s in the beginning, a quite much cut.

I don't care about the gapless too, but i don't want my track cut off in the beginning. So i faced the dilemma, change to "ALL" settings and no cut off, but i prefer the sound of "Loseless/FLAC" settings.

Unfortunately, I haven't had this happen to me and I haven't heard complaints about it from other users. Even when it is set to all, it is still better than the stock firmware in my opinion!

May 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,128 of 18,652
My personal favorite micro adapter is the Meenova http://www.meenova.com/ . Uses micro-SD and is super small which reduce the risk of damage to the port and so far compared to actual USB stick I found it drains the battery less.

Zak

May 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #17,129 of 18,652
Remember, if you want a great sound AND gapless, the best compromise is probably New Doc's Favorite Firmware Final. Or Ultimate Final. But I think NDFFF sounds most like SU1.3.3. Worth a look!

I have to say I'm shocked that iBasso seems incapable of creating something like this themselves. Thank goodness for enthusiasts.

May 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #17,130 of 18,652
My personal favorite micro adapter is the Meenova http://www.meenova.com/ . Uses micro-SD and is super small which reduce the risk of damage to the port and so far compared to actual USB stick I found it drains the battery less.

Zak

Yeah, but good luck finding it in EU. I couldn`t find it and I certainly won`t oder from oversea US, shipping cost will be too much + taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back