The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jun 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #17,192 of 18,652

guys, stop it... You make me think about changing amp also -.-

Although, I already enjoy my DX50 sound very much and find nothing lacking with my gear after caps+ SU 1.3.3.

But If I`m going to upgrade amp, then it`s good excuse to put in some oxicaps too, finally ;D

Wait before putting Oxicap... I am just finishing some extensive testing with various Caps, and I plan to put a review soon in DX50 MODs forum

Oh man! I`m eagerly waiting for results! Thanks in advance!
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #17,193 of 18,652
What happen to my DX50 screen? Everytime i touch it became flickering and the colour washout? Is that the electrostatic problem? Both silicone case on or off will happen everytime i touch it (especially touch the screen).

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #17,194 of 18,652
Hey everyone, I thought I'd share my opinion of my DX50 and the subject of different firmwares. :)

I got my DX50 nearly 2 months ago now and I love it. I came from using my, now broken, Cowon S9 and Galaxy S3 international version. I listen with my Logitech UE900 IEM's. My music collection is 35% FLAC (slowly trying to transfer more of my collection and some of these are 24/48 high res), 50% 320kps MP3 and 15% other. I listen to a wide array of music from soundtrack to rock to folk to pop to ambient.

On stock firmware 1.6 I immediately found the sound very heavy, full and warm. It was slightly overwhelming as I tend to listen at high volumes, between 200 - 230. I found the bass rather good and impactful - my UE900's were suddenly capable of more bass than I had previously realised. I found the highs (I'm sensitive to higher frequencies) slightly fatiguing but they're very clear. I really like the mids, particularly lower mids, as it hits a sweet spot for me. I played around with the gain settings and found myself sticking with medium. Low gain sounded tight whereas high gain pushed TOO much air around the instruments so I went for the middle-ground where it sounded nicely spacious and natural. I like the sound-staging and it was a huge step up but I wanted more.

I'd heard a burn-in was needed (still not sure if I believe in physical burn-ins, more mentally) so I burned it in for about 80 hours. The fatigue vanished which was good but I still wanted to try something else. I so installed SU 1.3.3 with IRR ON / CPU 312khz and fell in love. It was very detailed and clear, more so than the stock firmware and was what I was expecting of the DX50. The vocals were brought forward with an intimate sound-stage which gave it more texture and emotion IMO. I feel the instrument imaging and separation became more accurate and clear. It feels analog, musical and natural despite being more upfront and center. It feels surround soundy and impactful. I fell in love with the timbre and decay, particularly on strings, with more detail coming out. It's really fun and I find myself dancing to it! :)

In regards to SU 1.3.3 other settings 'FLAC' IS better sounding than 'All' IMO as it sounds slightly clearer and more detailed. However because 50% of my collection is 320kps MP3 I tend to just leave it on 'All' instead of swapping every-time I play a FLAC file unless I'm having a serious listen. With IRR OFF/CPU default I feel that it sounds, vocals in particular, more distant and flatter. Like you're in the back-row of a concert. It seems to be airy with a slightly larger soundstage. It's quite neutral but seems inconsistent for it sounds good with some songs but not with others. I much prefer IRR ON with CPU at 312khz for the reasons I've said in the above paragraph.

The only thing with SU 1.3.3 is that the bass is significantly less than it was on the stock firmware, IMO, for some weird reason. It's like the internal amp can't handle it's awesomeness but, it's okay, I'm getting a JDS Labs C5D portable amp soon which will definitely sort out the bass. I will let you know what I think then for I do like a deep and tight bass.

Sound aside I like the interface and that it's touch, it hasn't been a problem like I feared it might have been. I only have a couple of issues. I wish that when I turn it on it would remember what folder I was in and not just the song I was playing. I wish I would be able to skip to a part in the song more easily without having to wait until the song is a few seconds in. I have had that screen washout flicker thing a couple of times but turning it off/on fixes it. I also wish there was a search function.

I would recommend everyone try different firmwares to find your preffered sound. It's easy to install and you can always swap back. Spend a decent amount of time with each firmware and setting to get used to it and notice the differences. I should go back to stock firmware and see what I think of it now. Might try some of DOC's firmware sometime too but I've heard the highs can be fatiguing? Having listened to over 200 hours worth of music with this baby I can say that it sounds beautiful, almost as if it gets better every day.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #17,195 of 18,652
Hey everyone, I thought I'd share my opinion of my DX50 and the subject of different firmwares. :)

I got my DX50 nearly 2 months ago now and I love it. I came from using my, now broken, Cowon S9 and Galaxy S3 international version. I listen with my Logitech UE900 IEM's. My music collection is 35% FLAC (slowly trying to transfer more of my collection and some of these are 24/48 high res), 50% 320kps MP3 and 15% other. I listen to a wide array of music from soundtrack to rock to folk to pop to ambient.

On stock firmware 1.6 I immediately found the sound very heavy, full and warm. It was slightly overwhelming as I tend to listen at high volumes, between 200 - 230. I found the bass rather good and impactful - my UE900's were suddenly capable of more bass than I had previously realised. I found the highs (I'm sensitive to higher frequencies) slightly fatiguing but they're very clear. I really like the mids, particularly lower mids, as it hits a sweet spot for me. I played around with the gain settings and found myself sticking with medium. Low gain sounded tight whereas high gain pushed TOO much air around the instruments so I went for the middle-ground where it sounded nicely spacious and natural. I like the sound-staging and it was a huge step up but I wanted more.

I'd heard a burn-in was needed (still not sure if I believe in physical burn-ins, more mentally) so I burned it in for about 80 hours. The fatigue vanished which was good but I still wanted to try something else. I so installed SU 1.3.3 with IRR ON / CPU 312khz and fell in love. It was very detailed and clear, more so than the stock firmware and was what I was expecting of the DX50. The vocals were brought forward with an intimate sound-stage which gave it more texture and emotion IMO. I feel the instrument imaging and separation became more accurate and clear. It feels analog, musical and natural despite being more upfront and center. It feels surround soundy and impactful. I fell in love with the timbre and decay, particularly on strings, with more detail coming out. It's really fun and I find myself dancing to it! :)

In regards to SU 1.3.3 other settings 'FLAC' IS better sounding than 'All' IMO as it sounds slightly clearer and more detailed. However because 50% of my collection is 320kps MP3 I tend to just leave it on 'All' instead of swapping every-time I play a FLAC file unless I'm having a serious listen. With IRR OFF/CPU default I feel that it sounds, vocals in particular, more distant and flatter. Like you're in the back-row of a concert. It seems to be airy with a slightly larger soundstage. It's quite neutral but seems inconsistent for it sounds good with some songs but not with others. I much prefer IRR ON with CPU at 312khz for the reasons I've said in the above paragraph.

The only thing with SU 1.3.3 is that the bass is significantly less than it was on the stock firmware, IMO, for some weird reason. It's like the internal amp can't handle it's awesomeness but, it's okay, I'm getting a JDS Labs C5D portable amp soon which will definitely sort out the bass. I will let you know what I think then for I do like a deep and tight bass.

Sound aside I like the interface and that it's touch, it hasn't been a problem like I feared it might have been. I only have a couple of issues. I wish that when I turn it on it would remember what folder I was in and not just the song I was playing. I wish I would be able to skip to a part in the song more easily without having to wait until the song is a few seconds in. I have had that screen washout flicker thing a couple of times but turning it off/on fixes it. I also wish there was a search function.

I would recommend everyone try different firmwares to find your preffered sound. It's easy to install and you can always swap back. Spend a decent amount of time with each firmware and setting to get used to it and notice the differences. I should go back to stock firmware and see what I think of it now. Might try some of DOC's firmware sometime too but I've heard the highs can be fatiguing? Having listened to over 200 hours worth of music with this baby I can say that it sounds beautiful, almost as if it gets better every day.

Thanks for sharing - very interesting indeed! What amp gain do you use? - they all have a bit different signatures: Low is flatter, Mid does not perform flat amplification - it increases the bass and the mids more than the highs, so it is the least sibilant at equal volume levels, High is the most V shaped and has definitely the strongest bass and highs. In this sense High is the gain for you with SU 1.3.3 as it will raise both bass and highs more in comparison to the widely used more n shaped Mid gain. Also regarding the highs - experiment with the highs roll-off - slow and sharp sound different.

If you like 1.3.3 and would like some more lows you should give SUEX a "test drive". It is buggy for some users, but I have used it with no trouble. It has a tight and Very dynamic bass, much heavier in the low region than SU 1.3.3. The overall signature depends on your cans of course but is very analogue so I am not sure weather the highs will be OK for you. Please tell us what do you think if you have the time to test SU EX!
Cheers!

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #17,196 of 18,652

No need certainly to go with external amp way... capacitor change is also an option :wink:
With SU it is just more in balance and accurate but the main fault of bass/percussion kick/tightness comes from DX50 amp section capacitors. About amp, I would have gone Cayin C5 way.

Also regarding the highs - experiment with the highs roll-off - slow and sharp sound different.

Sorry to disappoint You but You are hearing placebo. Medmitry told it does not work with DX50 and SU.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #17,197 of 18,652
Sorry to disappoint You but You are hearing placebo. Medmitry told it does not work with DX50 and SU.

I have tried them on stock and they work there - so you don't disappoint me. :) I never used these settings on SU as I use SUEX and it is based on a much older stock version with no choice for these options. And it has absolutely no need of them :)
You are right - it is very probable that dmitry removed the libraries responsible for the setting out of the way, we discussed this with him a lot sometime ago - I always liked his puristic approach.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #17,198 of 18,652
How's the sound compare to my ancient Cowon D2? (I'm using TripleFi 10 Pro)

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #17,199 of 18,652

I've owned Cowon D2. The sound quality is better on DX50. Better detail, higher resolution.

Much nicer user interface though bigger size overall.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #17,200 of 18,652
I wonder how difficult it is to break the card reader on a DX50? I sold mine on eBay last month and the guy came back to me to say he put the card in and nothing showed up. I told him he had to build the library using the settings. At first he said it worked but now he has come back to me saying he can't get music to play,nothing is showing up, he has gone to iBasso and they have told him to come to me as I sold him it. I'm not a shop, I sold him the player and it is out of warranty. I told him to use a new card and haven't heard anything back since.

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #17,201 of 18,652
  I wonder how difficult it is to break the card reader on a DX50? I sold mine on eBay last month and the guy came back to me to say he put the card in and nothing showed up. I told him he had to build the library using the settings. At first he said it worked but now he has come back to me saying he can't get music to play,nothing is showing up, he has gone to iBasso and they have told him to come to me as I sold him it. I'm not a shop, I sold him the player and it is out of warranty. I told him to use a new card and haven't heard anything back since.

My card reader has been playing up a bit recently on one of my DX50 units. Same thing no card detection.

Usually a blow of air into the card slot fixes it.  Or inserting the card a few times to clear out any dust etc.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #17,202 of 18,652
  What happen to my DX50 screen? Everytime i touch it became flickering and the colour washout? Is that the electrostatic problem? Both silicone case on or off will happen everytime i touch it (especially touch the screen).

Please try a factory reset. It is possible the screen needs replacement. For that you would contact the seller that you purchased your DX50 from.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #17,203 of 18,652
  I have no idea if it`s legit Japan cell (in front says 100% Japan cell but on back says made in china) but I hope so, anyway it was cheap and posts from EU so I took it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161710770331?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Probably it is fake "Japan made".

Btw I did some more research about this brand and battery. Actually it seems pretty legit stuff, they pack it nicely and even show the weight scaled on pictures by many sellers like with this seller for example: 
http://www.dhgate.com/product/eb-l1g6llu-s3-battery-for-samsung-galaxy/216897847.html#s1-5-1b|3530254409
Also the thing that they don`t claim some absurd mAh number on sticker and do write Japan cell + made in china (fake Japan ones usually tend to have just "made in Japan" written to catch attention to "quality") gives some assuring hope it is legit Japan stuff. Market is overthrown with all those fake and relabeled batteries but I do hope this one is legit. When I get it will remove sticker and hope to find some proof under it like NFC and dual protection circuit which they claim to have (sorry, not NFC I looked wrong thing).

I received this FourHeart battery today and took some pics:

Don`t know if it is claimed "100% Japan Cell" and how to check by code but seems like legit Samsung battery anyway.
Will leave it charging and report back later about playtime and "sound change".

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #17,204 of 18,652

I'm glad you like it! I've found that the soundstage is more intimate with IRR/312, but the vocals take a backseat to the instruments. With IRR off/Default the soundstage is more spacious, but I enjoy the vocals more because they are in front if the instruments.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #17,205 of 18,652

I've owned Cowon D2. The sound quality is better on DX50. Better detail, higher resolution.

Much nicer user interface though bigger size overall.

I could not agree more. If you compare those two, you need to turn all sound enhancing BBE and jetEffect stuff off though. When I got my DX50, I was disappointed at first until I realized that my ears needed some time to adjust to the DX50 and later on I compared it to the D2 with all enhancements turned off. Then the differences became really obvious.

After some weeks using the DX50 I still don't see the need to even turn the EQ on.

HTH

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back