The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 31, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #15,931 of 18,652
Ok, having some strange things happen with my dx50. It's starting to freeze after a little over an hour of play and out of headphone out I will sometimes get some buzzing noise. I use 32 ohm re-400 and it's not plugged into charger. Any idea what could cause this?

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #15,932 of 18,652
No idea. Never experienced such issue. What FW? Did You do rescan library after adding music?

Lately my DX50 has been running 24/7 with SU 1.3.3 @ loop playlist (burning in capacitors) without no issues.

Edit: btw, some ppl have issues with certain memory cards. Sandisk seems to be problematic. I use A-Data Premier 64gb (check profile).

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #15,933 of 18,652
  No idea. Never experienced such issue. What FW? Did You do rescan library after adding music?

Lately my DX50 has been running 24/7 with SU 1.3.3 @ loop playlist (burning in capacitors) without no issues.

Edit: btw, some ppl have issues with certain memory cards. Sandisk seems to be problematic. I use A-Data Premier 64gb (check profile).

I do in fact have sandisk 32 gb and I am also running SU 1.3.3. I'm hoping it's the SD card, that would be a lot more simple than an actual issue with the unit itself.  Just sometimes it will lock up and I have to power down and turn back on. Then randomly I will get weird buzzing out of headphone out, but I can turn it off then back on and it's gone.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #15,934 of 18,652
Buzzing out of HO sounds weird though. Hope it`s not faulty unit.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #15,936 of 18,652
  Hey Guys, New to the Head-Fi forums, first post here.  Thanks!

xblue.  Welcome to head-fi.  Sorry for your wallet.

I skipped from Ibasso stock FW 1.28 to stock 1.6.  I was getting weird stutters in my music with 1.6.  (Not what I want from a reference player.)  So I installed Doc's Final Favorite Firmware and have not experienced one problem with it since I updated it.  I DO need gapless, so that is why I chose Doc.

On the DX50, I use exclusively FLAC ripped from redbook CDs, and I JUST bought my very first 192/24 FLAC from HD Tracks.  I will be listening to Supertramp-Crime of the Century (remix) today.

Prior to 1.6, I never had any problems with the stock FW.  I have a theory (personal opinion) that ripping all my CDs with dB Power Amp and using the tags that come from that program have helped me avoid a lot of early problems with the DX50.  I HIGHLY recommend dB Power Amp program if you are going to be ripping a large number of discs to FLAC.  And excessive attention to detail for your tags is pretty key.  I also have some tricks for album art if you need it.

I am also using my DX50 line out to Ray Samuels Audio (RSA) Intruder portable amp.  With DX50>Intruder>Fostex TH900 it provides fantastic tight bass, if the bass is there in the recording.  also use Grado RS1i, and Sennheiser Momentum.  Some people feel that you don't need the external amp with DX50, but the Intruder gives me everything that I want, and I just simply like to use it.

Let me know if you have questions.  I still use iPods because of the smart playlist capability.  From Windows 7 platform and itunes 10.x- I use them in my truck, alarm clock, bathroom stereo dock, walking, etc... I should be able to assist with most questions about format issues.  And I too love Rock and Blues.  Welcome to the DX50 club.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #15,937 of 18,652

Yea, but the weirdest thing is that it's not constant.

Maybe HO socket isn`t soldered properly.

ripping all my CDs with dB Power Amp and using the tags that come from that program have helped me avoid a lot of early problems with the DX50.  I HIGHLY recommend dB Power Amp program if you are going to be ripping a large number of discs to FLAC.  And excessive attention to detail for your tags is pretty key.  I also have some tricks for album art if you need it.

Why not EAC ? Been using it from beginning with my DX50. No tag problems and You can even embed album art to single file/full album with ease.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #15,938 of 18,652

I skipped from Ibasso stock FW 1.28 to stock 1.6.  I was getting weird stutters in my music with 1.6.  (Not what I want from a reference player.)  So I installed Doc's Final Favorite Firmware and have not experienced one problem with it since I updated it.  I DO need gapless, so that is why I chose Doc.

On the DX50, I use exclusively FLAC ripped from redbook CDs, and I JUST bought my very first 192/24 FLAC from HD Tracks.  I will be listening to Supertramp-Crime of the Century (remix) today.

Prior to 1.6, I never had any problems with the stock FW.  I have a theory (personal opinion) that ripping all my CDs with dB Power Amp and using the tags that come from that program have helped me avoid a lot of early problems with the DX50.  I HIGHLY recommend dB Power Amp program if you are going to be ripping a large number of discs to FLAC.  And excessive attention to detail for your tags is pretty key.  I also have some tricks for album art if you need it.

I am also using my DX50 line out to Ray Samuels Audio (RSA) Intruder portable amp.  With DX50>Intruder>Fostex TH900 it provides fantastic tight bass, if the bass is there in the recording.  also use Grado RS1i, and Sennheiser Momentum.  Some people feel that you don't need the external amp with DX50, but the Intruder gives me everything that I want, and I just simply like to use it.

Let me know if you have questions.  I still use iPods because of the smart playlist capability.  From Windows 7 platform and itunes 10.x- I use them in my truck, alarm clock, bathroom stereo dock, walking, etc... I should be able to assist with most questions about format issues.  And I too love Rock and Blues.  Welcome to the DX50 club.

I have also been listening to Supertramp also. Especially the album Crisis? What Crisis? Incredible band.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #15,940 of 18,652
I too use Re-400 with DX50 and have not had any problems to report. It is a great combination.

Oh, I completely agree.  Funny thing is, this morning the sound hasn't had any buzzing, but it's frozen twice.  I think I may switch sd card tonight.  As far as this combination, yes it's perfect depending on the genre of music you listen to!

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #15,941 of 18,652
Why not EAC ? Been using it from beginning with my DX50. No tag problems and You can even embed album art to single file/full album with ease.

CoiL.  Never used it.  Can't comment.  But if it is a good substitute, xblue can look into that one as well.
xblue.  I believe that CoiL is referring to Exact Audio Copy.  You could look at that one if you are not married to a ripping software.  

I am married to dB Power Amp.
You know.  Second grader's say....  "If you love it so much, then why don't you marry it?"  Well I did.  ha ha.
Had our fifth installation together last month.   :wink:

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #15,942 of 18,652

Listening to (TOOL/ 10,000 Days/ The Pot) this morning!!

WOW Howlin Fester thanks for all the great info! Your hilarious, so worried about my wallet, I'm more worried about yours brother! I'm only a couple hundred in, you got one high priced rig going on!

I'm planning on loading up Doc's Final Favorite Firmware today and try it out. Sounds like a lot of people are really happy with that one. My main push right now is to find a nice set of headphones maybe in the $200 - 400 range and then maybe an DAC/Amp to push them.

I'm using my sons Sennheiser HD280's with no EQ and I'm not really digging the low end bass and drums. maybe that will change with DOC's? I wish there was some place locally to go and try out some of these high end headsets before buying (have a hard time calling them CANs, makes me want to visit the fridge for a cold one!) I'm gonna keep an eye out for an Audiophile convention in the Mid West area, something big in the Kansas City area would be nice. Now I'm sure that one would hurt my wallet!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and responses to my questions! Off to load up DOC's!

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #15,943 of 18,652

Listening to (TOOL/ 10,000 Days/ The Pot) this morning!!

WOW Howlin Fester thanks for all the great info! Your hilarious, so worried about my wallet, I'm more worried about yours brother! I'm only a couple hundred in, you got one high priced rig going on!

I'm planning on loading up Doc's Final Favorite Firmware today and try it out. Sounds like a lot of people are really happy with that one. My main push right now is to find a nice set of headphones maybe in the $200 - 400 range and then maybe an DAC/Amp to push them.

I'm using my sons Sennheiser HD280's with no EQ and I'm not really digging the low end bass and drums. maybe that will change with DOC's? I wish there was some place locally to go and try out some of these high end headsets before buying (have a hard time calling them CANs, makes me want to visit the fridge for a cold one!) I'm gonna keep an eye out for an Audiophile convention in the Mid West area, something big in the Kansas City area would be nice. Now I'm sure that one would hurt my wallet!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and responses to my questions! Off to load up DOC's!

Doc's was good but even I have to admit the sounstage and seperation seemed to have widened when I switched to SU

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #15,944 of 18,652
  Doc's was good but even I have to admit the sounstage and seperation seemed to have widened when I switched to SU

Thanks KraziEarss!

I just loaded DOC's V1.2.9 and was expecting a WOW factor but didn't really happen? But I have to admit this is all so new to me and I'm sure my ears aren't as finely tuned as everyone elses on here. I'm gonna try Sound unlocker - SU and set it to what CoiL suggested to me a few posts ago.

Dec 31, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #15,945 of 18,652

Does it happen while music is playing?

Hey Guys, New to the Head-Fi forums, first post here.  Thanks!

What are your tricks with album art?

Maybe HO socket isn`t soldered properly.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-6-0/15915#post_11174429 layout=inline]ripping all my CDs with dB Power Amp and using the tags that come from that program have helped me avoid a lot of early problems with the DX50.  I HIGHLY recommend dB Power Amp program if you are going to be ripping a large number of discs to FLAC.  And excessive attention to detail for your tags is pretty key.  I also have some tricks for album art if you need it.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Didn't they stop supporting EAC? I thought it wasn't being updated anymore. I used to use that until I tried dbpoweramp. I find it much easier to use and there is so much you can do with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back