The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 1, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #15,961 of 18,652
I currently have SU1.3.3 installed on my DX50.  It seems like the consensus is, SU1.4.0 isn't quite as good.  That's based on several posts I've read.  Has anyone tried SU1.3.5 beta or SUEX (posted Dec 20th)? 

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #15,962 of 18,652
  Sound Unlocked "an audiophile must suffer :)" series presents an experimental software with very good SQ(afm better than 1.4.0/1.3.3):
  1. opened natural soundstage (great with my hd25-II)
  2. based on original 1.2.2 because of the old platform has ability to use low CPU/voltage settings
so, all SU optimizations included + low cpu/voltage patches + some performance tweaks.

original 1.2.2 has ugly interface and some usability problems(that were fixed in next original versions) but if you wanna test SQ it's not a problem.

notices:
  1. "FLAC only" is enabled by default
  2. the firmware is influenced by warming-up effect: from the cold start/listening a fw with other voltage params, it takes some minutes to achieve the working stable conditions ©

Enjoy/suffer -  https://mega.co.nz/#!jMsAjRKY!9wyt0_sNfe6G3zHTFGf5JAxJKcnhnVDMMnfGSc0gOWQ

I'll try to port an original 1.6.0 after New Year. So if you are not an experienced user you should wait :)

BTW, you can get SUEX from medmitry's post.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #15,964 of 18,652
Noooooo, I gotta go give it a try now. Geez android and it's open source!

lol... He posted it nearly two weeks ago.  I'm surprised people missed it.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #15,966 of 18,652
  I honestly dont know what site he post to, but I will go see if its on the link I have

any notes on what was improved?

Look at the quote below.  He posted in this thread, and the notes are in the quote/post.

Sound Unlocked "an audiophile must suffer :)" series presents an experimental software with very good SQ(afm better than 1.4.0/1.3.3):
  1. opened natural soundstage (great with my hd25-II)
  2. based on original 1.2.2 because of the old platform has ability to use low CPU/voltage settings
so, all SU optimizations included + low cpu/voltage patches + some performance tweaks.

original 1.2.2 has ugly interface and some usability problems(that were fixed in next original versions) but if you wanna test SQ it's not a problem.

notices:
  1. "FLAC only" is enabled by default
  2. the firmware is influenced by warming-up effect: from the cold start/listening a fw with other voltage params, it takes some minutes to achieve the working stable conditions ©

Enjoy/suffer -  https://mega.co.nz/#!jMsAjRKY!9wyt0_sNfe6G3zHTFGf5JAxJKcnhnVDMMnfGSc0gOWQ

I'll try to port an original 1.6.0 after New Year. So if you are not an experienced user you should wait :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #15,967 of 18,652
  Really?? Let medmitry respond to the question asked on the Rockbox thread instead of turning the discussion into fanboyism. No need to discuss it here since the topic is about rockbox not the SU mod.

Mashing, manipulating responses from the other thread and posting it here does not bear any fruitful discussions.

Please. Our opinion differs from yours, so it is fanboyism? There is a reason medmitry hasn't responding to any of your posts... We aren't manipulating anything. You are blowing this way out of proportion. This is the DX50 thread, we can discuss anything DX50 related.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #15,968 of 18,652
  Really?? Let medmitry respond to the question asked on the Rockbox thread instead of turning the discussion into fanboyism. No need to discuss it here since the topic is about rockbox not the SU mod.

Mashing, manipulating responses from the other thread and posting it here does not bear any fruitful discussions.

Fanboyism? Oh really? I`m testing different FW`s from DOC, Lurker, Dmitry and RB and suddenly I`m fanboy of SU? If any other FW would be better I would jump to that. So far SQ wise SU just happens to be best (most neutral, detailed, open soundstage etc.). Contrary, seems like some of You RB guys are real fanboys and don`t even consider any other FW. 

Manipulating responses? I didn`t manipulate with You response. Your posts just show how little You actually know about SU and still You just bash it, without even trying it, saying other ppl having placebo. Don`t drag this into flaming.

BTW, you can get SUEX from medmitry's post.

Noooooo, I gotta go give it a try now. Geez android and it's open source!

I already sent You link to SUEX @ PM. If You tried it then You already know how it sounds. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #15,969 of 18,652

Fanboyism? Oh really? I`m testing different FW`s from DOC, Lurker, Dmitry and RB and suddenly I`m fanboy of SU? If any other FW would be better I would jump to that. So far SQ wise SU just happens to be best (most neutral, detailed, open soundstage etc.). Contrary, seems like some of You RB guys are real fanboys and don`t even consider any other FW. 

Manipulating responses? I didn`t manipulate with You response. Your posts just show how little You actually know about SU and still You just bash it, without even trying it, saying other ppl having placebo. Don`t drag this into flaming.

I already sent You link to SUEX @ PM. If You tried it then You already know how it sounds. 

Hey CoiL,

What do you think of SUEX, SU 1.3.5 beta, and SU 1.4.0?

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #15,970 of 18,652

Hey Coil,

What do you think of SUEX, SU 1.3.5 beta, and SU 1.4.0?

I know this is directed at Coil, but I find SUEX to have the best sound for my ears and gear. Then followed by 1.4 and 1.3.3. 1.3.5 beta wasn't very good in my opinion, even medmitry didn't like how it sounded (it was very lifeless and boring). Coil's favorite is 1.3.3. It is definitely better than every other firmware besides EX and 1.4 in my opinion. That includes all of DOCs firmwares, Rockbox, and stock.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #15,971 of 18,652
SQ wise I think it was/is SUex (1.2.2) > SU 1.4.0 (1.6.0) > 1.3.5beta (1.5.0). But I`m not sure about 1.3.5beta, I may be mixing it up with 1.3.4beta. One of those betas had freeze bug/broken settings. SUex UI is littlebit limited and old for my needs and with capacitor upgrade I like SU 1.3.3 more. Note that this is all subjective opinion and applies to my gear, taste etc. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #15,972 of 18,652
  SQ wise I think it was/is SUex (1.2.2) > SU 1.4.0 (1.6.0) > 1.3.5beta (1.5.0). But I`m not sure about 1.3.5beta, I may be mixing it up with 1.3.4beta. One of those betas had freeze bug/broken settings. SUex UI is littlebit limited and old for my needs and with capacitor upgrade I like SU 1.3.3 more. Note that this is all subjective opinion and applies to my gear, taste etc. 

What's the capacitor upgrade?  Did you actually make a physical change to your DX50, or is it the boot-up options in SU 1.3.3?

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #15,973 of 18,652
Physical upgrade: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods I changed HO capacitors.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #15,974 of 18,652

Hi Coil, with capactior upgraded is that big changing? Can you send me the links about how to mod the capactior?

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #15,975 of 18,652
  Physical upgrade: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods I changed HO capacitors.

Thanks CoiL.  I'm not willing to make changes like that to my DX50.  At some point I'll sell it, and upgrade to something else.  I'll give SUEX a try soon.  Hopefully it plays well with my HifiMan HE-401i cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back