The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #15,691 of 18,652
Depends what source files are You using and do You need gapless. Also what sound signature You prefer? More open or intimate? Basshead? Neutral lover? etc.

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #15,692 of 18,652
I have the DUNU DN-1000 IEMs but I currently have a Fiio X3. I am looking at maybe getting the DX50.

I wouldn't say it is an upgrade. They just have different sound signature really. The X3 seems darker with better bass texture while the DX50 leans on the neutral side with better soundstage and clearer vocal than the X3 to my ears. It is also worth noting that the default amp of the X3 is better than the one on the DX50 (but seeing you using an IEM I wouldn't say this is too much of an advantage). And I haven't used the X3 for a long time so things could change now, but I remember that the Bass EQ on the X3 is really good, while the EQ of the DX50 is pretty lackluster. IMO they don't really best out each other, just different. The X3 sound fun while the DX50 is better for some serious listening. Personally I like both of them really, which is better depends on what you want to hear. Hopes it helps :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #15,693 of 18,652
I wouldn't say it is an upgrade. They just have different sound signature really. The X3 seems darker with better bass texture while the DX50 leans on the neutral side with better soundstage and clearer vocal than the X3 to my ears. It is also worth noting that the default amp of the X3 is better than the one on the DX50 (but seeing you using an IEM I wouldn't say this is too much of an advantage). And I haven't used the X3 for a long time so things could change now, but I remember that the Bass EQ on the X3 is really good, while the EQ of the DX50 is pretty lackluster. IMO they don't really best out each other, just different. The X3 sound fun while the DX50 is better for some serious listening. Personally I like both of them really, which is better depends on what you want to hear. Hopes it helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes it's very helpful. Thanks for your reply. I do enjoy the sound of the X3 but maybe if I want to upgrade I might have to look at something in the $400+ range I suppose.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #15,694 of 18,652
I second that the X3 and DX50 are about equal, but quite different. I listened to Howdy's X3 and was unimpressed. I listened to his DX50 and bought one for myself. I prefer the iBasso sound over Fiio, although the X5 is pretty good too.

The DX90 price just dropped to $380, and I was very impressed with its sound when I got to listen to it briefly.

And again, to everyone, Try SU 1.3.3, SU 1.4, DFFF and DFFv1. It will take all of 30 minutes and you WILL like 1 of those firmwares. I've left SU1.4 on my player for a week now so its the current winner to me (just by a hair. All 4 of those FWs are good)

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #15,695 of 18,652
guys, there is a coaxial out on the dx50, how do i use it?

i noticed on the faq, dx50 can be use with an external dac:
1. means it will be using dx50 as a amp only?
2. has it got to do with the coaxial out? shouldn't it be coaxial in?

thanks

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #15,696 of 18,652
  guys, there is a coaxial out on the dx50, how do i use it?

i noticed on the faq, dx50 can be use with an external dac:
1. means it will be using dx50 as a amp only?
2. has it got to do with the coaxial out? shouldn't it be coaxial in?

thanks

The coaxial out is for external DAC, means it'll only send PCM data direct to external DAC and process into analogue audio at external DAC.
So far I only know Ibasso DB2 the dual chip DAC.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #15,698 of 18,652
Hi all,

I am having trouble importing an m3u playlist I created in iTunes. I exported the playlist from iTunes and placed it in the root of the DX50, I do not currently have an SD card in the player. The playlist shows up on the player but there are no tracks in it at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #15,699 of 18,652
Ordered one, now all I have to do is to get a 64gb card for it and install rockbox as it arrives. What card is the recommended, integral, lexar, sandisk, kingston? Is a class 10 card good?

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #15,700 of 18,652
Why rockbox? 
rolleyes.gif
 So far Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 & New DOC`s Favourite Firmware Final have been superior to rockbox in terms of SQ, IMO.

64GB ADATA Premier mSDXC UHS-I CL10 is very good fast and cheap card. No issues with it so far. Some ppl have issues with Sandisk cards.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #15,701 of 18,652
Thanks, will have a look for the ADATA card, and avoid sandisk.

Rockbox mainly because I have been using it for ages on my ancient Cowon D2, may look into the other possibilities too.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #15,702 of 18,652
  Update.

Panasonic FC have now been burnin about 24h. I made simple 3x stereo 3.5mm socket + ON-ON tumbler A/B switching to compare with my Aune T1.
For A/B comparing I used exactly same OFC cable from source to switch point. I compared with both - Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1. 

Aune T1 setup: Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin tube from 60`s + ELNA SilmicII capacitors (only primary power supply caps are Panasonic FR due to tech/spec reasons).
DX50 setup: Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC / irr off / CPU default + Panasonic FC capacitors for HO.
Source files: FLAC 16/44 

Test songs:
  1. 1. Dead Letter Circus - Here We Divide (5:07)
    2. The Mars Volta - Meccamputechture (11:02)
    3. Crosses - Bitches Brew (3:30)
    4. Dead Letter Circus - One Step (3:28)
    5. The Mars Volta - Cavalettas (9:32)
    6. Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Elderly Pair Beaten With Hammer (2:03)
    7. Tesseract - Of Reality - Calabi-Yau (2:00)
    8. Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Warren Oates (4:55)
    9. ANTEMASQUE - Providence (4:47)
    10. The Mars Volta - Conjugal Burns (6:39)

Result: I basically can`t make difference!
blink.gif
 And for me this is awesome! You`d have to be total anal-audio freak to make difference. There might be some tiny tiny micro-differences but when I do blind test without knowing in which position switch is - I can`t make difference! 

Of course LO is littlebit different story and I haven`t changed caps in there yet.

And there`s still debate going on in my head/ears which I like more - Panasonic FC or VishayBC 038 RSU. Latter one seems to have littlebit better mids, which I really like.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #15,703 of 18,652
Somebody let Coil know I'm sorry

the gear over music philosophy pisses me off, but if that is his idea of a good time then alright. I have no right to be an a**hole

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #15,704 of 18,652
  Why rockbox? 
rolleyes.gif
 So far Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 & New DOC`s Favourite Firmware Final have been superior to rockbox in terms of SQ, IMO.

What problems are you finding with Rockbox sound quality? If all is working well, it should be pushing bits to the DAC in a timely manner and producing as near a neutral a signal as is possible at 44.1Khz and the hardware. If not, it might be worth investigating.

Or are you listening to music at a different sample rate? Or maybe prefer your sound processed in some way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back