The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #15,706 of 18,652

Why rockbox? 
rolleyes.gif
 So far Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 & New DOC`s Favourite Firmware Final have been superior to rockbox in terms of SQ, IMO.

What problems are you finding with Rockbox sound quality? If all is working well, it should be pushing bits to the DAC in a timely manner and producing as near a neutral a signal as is possible at 44.1Khz and the hardware. If not, it might be worth investigating.

Or are you listening to music at a different sample rate? Or maybe prefer your sound processed in some way?

No problems, it`s good sounding but I personally find SU and NDFFFinal better. I don`t know the software life inside Mango UI or Rockbox but as much as I know, DOC and Dmitry have also removed excess sound processing and made those FW`s "neutral as possible" (SU is more neutral than NDFFFinal imo). Then there`s the soundstage, imaging, separation etc. which I also found to be better on SU & NDFFFinal. I actually do not care if software makes "neutral as possible" sound because beside software there are other things to consider like DAC chip sound signature, differential opamp, HO opamps, capacitors. This all runs together and if one is "lacking" something then other pieces can "balance" it out. To me so far, SU and NDFFFinal have created best balance considering all those things together. Another thing not related to SQ is Mango UI simplicity and user friendliness. Sorry but rockbox is too much of hassle with too much stuff going on imho. But it is only just my opinion, everyone have right to their own
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #15,708 of 18,652
https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked (note that SU has hidden bootup settings menu, don`t forget to set it to Your liking. Imo best is FLAC/irr off/cpu default)

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&page=103&p=1521785&viewfull=1#post1521785

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #15,709 of 18,652
I need help really bad..

My DX50 won't boot. It is stuck in the loading screen.

When in recovery mode and I try to apply update from sdcard it says no firmware image found.

This is the DX50 system recovery <3e> only letting me choose reboot system now, apply update from sDcard and wipe data/factory reset

what can I do?

Can anyone give me complete details..

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #15,710 of 18,652
the update should be loaded into the internal memory of the dx50
not the sd card , or are you installing rockbox? 
what update are you trying to install.
and make sure your image file says update.img,
nothing more otherwise it will not work for you .
people tend to rename them from time to time to
kep track of what they are .
dt880smile.png

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #15,711 of 18,652
Someone has paired the DX50 with the FiiO E12? I was undecided between FiiO, JDS C5 and iBasso D0 but I've found the E12 from a local shop and had the opportunity to try it before buying. The price was also good; just 103€ vs 130€ on internet! 

At the moment I've just try it with my UM Pro 30 and I need to try it also with Senn HD 598 and HE 400 before have a complete idea on the product. In my opinion with the UM Pro 30 this sounds really good. I've found the dx 50's internal amp to be too warm and with slighty less instruments separation. With this external amp bass punch remains really good but the sound seems to be more forwared with better high and more clean mids. Someway it seems to be less "smooth" on bass frequencies. Overall this seems to be a good match.

If someone can be interested i've also tried the E18 but in my opinion the DX50 has a better sound quality. 

:)

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #15,713 of 18,652
  I've found the dx 50's internal amp to be too warm and with slighty less instruments separation. 

I dare You to change DX50 HO capacitors! 
biggrin.gif
 Panasonic FC caps resolved that "issue" for me :wink: More caps still to test (haven`t arrived yet) but so far FC is best.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #15,714 of 18,652
  I dare You to change DX50 HO capacitors! 
biggrin.gif
 Panasonic FC caps resolved that "issue" for me :wink: More caps still to test (haven`t arrived yet) but so far FC is best.

So have you noticed the same as me? Too warm sound? Anyway I'm not into these hardware mods! I mean I don't know how to do that! :)

Anyway I wouldn't say dx 50's amp is not good.. it's just too warm sometimes and not so clear!

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #15,715 of 18,652
Anyway I wouldn't say dx 50's amp is not good.. it's just too warm sometimes and not so clear!

Second that.

If You know how to open up DX50 and some basic soldering, then it`s not so hard. Anyway after capacitor change I really do not need external amp anymore for my needs  :wink:

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #15,717 of 18,652
  Someone has paired the DX50 with the FiiO E12? I was undecided between FiiO, JDS C5 and iBasso D0 but I've found the E12 from a local shop and had the opportunity to try it before buying. The price was also good; just 103€ vs 130€ on internet! 

At the moment I've just try it with my UM Pro 30 and I need to try it also with Senn HD 598 and HE 400 before have a complete idea on the product. In my opinion with the UM Pro 30 this sounds really good. I've found the dx 50's internal amp to be too warm and with slighty less instruments separation. With this external amp bass punch remains really good but the sound seems to be more forwared with better high and more clean mids. Someway it seems to be less "smooth" on bass frequencies. Overall this seems to be a good match.

If someone can be interested i've also tried the E18 but in my opinion the DX50 has a better sound quality. 

:)

Cayin C5 with DX50 is a wonderful combo.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back