The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 16, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #15,182 of 18,652
Any recommended setting for ver 1.33 SU?

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #15,183 of 18,652
  Some updated thoughts about SU firmware.

* FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings with 1.3.3 sounds better than 1.3.5beta with same settings. 

* In case of 1.3.5beta, FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting sounds better than with IRR OFF.

* FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default settings with 1.3.5beta seems to have more micro-detail and very neutral/flat sound signature with nothing noticeably boosted or recessed.
   .5beta sounds kind of boring but not in bad way.
   Still, maybe those are just my sensitive ears, but I think .5beta has more information in highs region and gets littlebit exhausting with longer listening with this setting. 
   After about 10min listening to Tesseract - Altered state and I feel fatigue by highs region.

* Setting CPU frequency to 312kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) turns sound littlebit softer/warmer/fuller and for example brings guitars more into focus but highs region still
   has too much/bright information going on for my ears and gets exhausting. Still lacks littlebit dynamics and musicality. Littlebit airiness is also gained I think.

* Setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta (IRR ON) seems to bring back some airiness compared to 312kHz and lose littlebit intimacy in exchange.
   Highs still too "informative" but tinybit better.

* Turning IRR OFF and setting CPU frequency to 408kHz with .5beta seems to bring back littlebit dynamics and highs region seems little more pleasant.
   Littlebit airiness returns. 
   Compared to IRR On + CPU default, some of the soundstage from "back of the head" seems to be "returned".
   I personally like this setting most with 1.3.5beta.

I`m assuming that analytical listeners will prefer 1.3.5beta with FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-312kHz.
But for enjoyable listening with more dynamics and musicality, listeners will probably prefer 1.3.3 with FLAC / IRR OFF / CPU-default settings.

Comparing was done with Fidelio X1 and Piston V2.1 16Ohm. I used all the time DX50 @ mid gain.

.5beta seems to lack littlebit dynamics and musicality plus too much going on in highs region IMO.
 Who knows, maybe I`m going crazy with trying/comparing all those settings
biggrin.gif
 Anyway, I will probably return to 1.3.3 @ FLAC/irr OFF/CPU default.
Atm going to run .5beta @ FLAC / IRR OFF / 408kHz for some time.

Of course these are just my ears and subjective opinion but I hope it helps someone :wink:

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #15,186 of 18,652
My unit does this, the awful popping sound on start up gives great confidence when plugging in expensive low impedance IEM. I gave up on DX50's headphone out long ago, this was one of the main reasons. The other was the benefits in sound from amping. Something wrong when FiiO's $100 X1 unit has better soundstage and separation than iBasso's $200+ unit. *rolls eyes* (nothing personal)

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #15,187 of 18,652
Hi Friends,
I decided to PUMP my DX50 which i'm using with the amazing 1.33 SU (FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting)  with the Momentum Over the ear for the on the go rig.
Using the HO with the 1.33 SU gives heavenly detailed and wide stage which I only want to keep (or wider) from the LO as well.
I stopped using the the National (by ALO Audio) cause for some reason, adding it to the LO narrowed the sound stage which I got from the HO and killed what the the 1.33 SU brings out of the DX50.
Due to budget issues I searched and came to 2  brands:  Fiio and JDS Labs.

JDS Labs:
 - OBJECTIVE2
 - C5

Fiio
 - KILIMANJARO 2 E11K
 - MONT BLANC E12

Be happy to hear inputs and advises and of course maybe other budget  amps that works in synergy with the DX50.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #15,188 of 18,652
The other was the benefits in sound from amping. Something wrong when FiiO's $100 X1 unit has better soundstage and separation than iBasso's $200+ unit. *rolls eyes* (nothing personal)

Try SU 1.3.3 with different settings. You might get surprised what DX50 can actually do with proper "processing-free" FW :wink:

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #15,189 of 18,652
Hi Friends,
I decided to PUMP my DX50 which i'm using with the amazing 1.33 SU (FLAC / IRR ON / CPU-default setting)  with the Momentum Over the ear for the on the go rig.
Using the HO with the 1.33 SU gives heavenly detailed and wide stage which I only want to keep (or wider) from the LO as well.
I stopped using the the National (by ALO Audio) cause for some reason, adding it to the LO narrowed the sound stage which I got from the HO and killed what the the 1.33 SU brings out of the DX50.

JDS Labs:
 - OBJECTIVE2
 - C5

Fiio
 - KILIMANJARO 2 E11K
 - MONT BLANC E12

Be happy to hear inputs and advises and of course maybe other budget  amps that works in synergy with the DX50.

From your list I would recommend E11K or C5. But best to have a go at both units before deciding. C5 is undoubtedly the more expensive unit, physically bigger but stacks nicely with DX50. E11K is the budget amp that packs some power. It's physically smaller but doesn't stack nicely with DX50 due to the design of its housing.

C5 offers some real clarity and analytical listening. That is coming from UE900 pairing. The sound is more balanced and slightly pushing towards the bright side offering great separations and details. Vocals are nicely positioned but does not sound intimate. Soundstage is pretty wide as well.

E11K offers a warmer tone than C5. But the new E11K is really a different offering from previous Fiio's amp lineup. I would say it's the cleanest sounding of all. Deviating from the usual mid bass bump and warm sound signature of Fiio house sound. E11K offers a really top notch black background which is simply excellent for its price. Vocals are more upfront and lush than C5. E11K is able to offer great details and separation too. Though not as able as the C5 but definitely not lacking. The bass boost on E11K is not overwhelming but targets the sub bass. Soundstage is decent falling short of C5.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #15,190 of 18,652
I have a lovely JDS C5 amp in like-new condition for sale, and let me tell you it has great synergy with the DX50 and 1.3.3.  I used it with no bass boost, but if you go that way it has two boost settings.  Soundstage is <wiiiiide>.  Sound is really clean, takes the DX50 to a whole new level.  I bought a Fiio X5 and it doesn't need the C5, so I'm selling it.  It's in my sig, take a look.  If you are interested, pm me, maybe we can strike a deal.  You won't be sorry about the sound.  H20Fidelity uses the earlier version of the JDS and he raves about it as well.  

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #15,191 of 18,652
From your list I would recommend E11K or C5. But best to have a go at both units before deciding. C5 is undoubtedly the more expensive unit, physically bigger but stacks nicely with DX50. E11K is the budget amp that packs some power. It's physically smaller but doesn't stack nicely with DX50 due to the design of its housing.

C5 offers some real clarity and analytical listening. That is coming from UE900 pairing. The sound is more balanced and slightly pushing towards the bright side offering great separations and details. Vocals are nicely positioned but does not sound intimate. Soundstage is pretty wide as well.

E11K offers a warmer tone than C5. But the new E11K is really a different offering from previous Fiio's amp lineup. I would say it's the cleanest sounding of all. Deviating from the usual mid bass bump and warm sound signature of Fiio house sound. E11K offers a really top notch black background which is simply excellent for its price. Vocals are more upfront and lush than C5. E11K is able to offer great details and separation too. Though not as able as the C5 but definitely not lacking. The bass boost on E11K is not overwhelming but targets the sub bass. Soundstage is decent falling short of C5.

AKA, get the E11K

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #15,193 of 18,652
Hi Friends,

JDS Labs:
 - OBJECTIVE2
 - C5

Fiio
 - KILIMANJARO 2 E11K
 - MONT BLANC E12

If form factor is not an issue get the O2. It is the most versatile as far as driving a wide range of phones (1x / 3.5x gain settings) with the options you listed above. It sure is transparent. If you already like how the DX50 sound on HO. O2 will be most likely give you thd same SQ.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #15,194 of 18,652
If form factor is not an issue get the O2. It is the most versatile as far as driving a wide range of phones (1x / 3.5x gain settings) with the options you listed above. It sure is transparent. If you already like how the DX50 sound on HO. O2 will be most likely give you thd same SQ.

I want to thank everyone who gave inputs.
I leaned more and came to the conclusion that the JDS Labs are the sound im aiming for but.. now that i read more, the OBJECTIVE2 sounds more reference mode i want which will give the clarity and sound the 1.33 SU gives and it even comes in a custom version.
Size is what makes the hard choice. I do carry my rig with a bug and than place it on my work desk. - it sounds like the OBJECTIVE2 will do just fine.
inputs will be nice (-:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back