The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 21, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #15,211 of 18,652
Coil,
I ordered Piston 2 from Robert superstore through Amazon and waiting arrive, while please share with us your impression use Piston with SU 1.3.3FW

~ronni~

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #15,212 of 18,652
Would like littlebit larger soundstage since Piston V2.1 are littlebit V-shaped but despite that minor thing I find V2.1 very good match for DX50 with SU 1.3.3 @ irr off / cpu default. Btw, I`m using them @ mid gain with DX50.
For what it counts, I think T-Peos Popular sucks compared to Piston V2.1. Popular has very V-shaped and small soundstage with too much emphasis on bass/midbass.

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #15,215 of 18,652
  Thinking about picking one up, curious though if the battery life has improved through the firmware upgrades. Also, has anyone tried this with a 256gb SD card? I have one with a microSD card adapter but I've only tried it with my Galaxy S3.

And finally, the S3 battery fits this correct?

Yes, the S3 battery and compatibles work without problem.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #15,216 of 18,652
  Would like littlebit larger soundstage since Piston V2.1 are littlebit V-shaped but despite that minor thing I find V2.1 very good match for DX50 with SU 1.3.3 @ irr off / cpu default. Btw, I`m using them @ mid gain with DX50.
For what it counts, I think T-Peos Popular sucks compared to Piston V2.1. Popular has very V-shaped and small soundstage with too much emphasis on bass/midbass.

As fa I know Piston 2.1 has only16 Ohm,is there any particular reason why you use mid gain? Any problem drive with low gain, which is more noise free?

~ron~

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #15,218 of 18,652
how are they in terms of build quality? i heard a lot of feedback that they are flimsily built.

Well i have read lots of opinions that its cheaply build, and its true it feels weak, but i treat it with extra care,

And i find the weak spot is the connection between the ear piece and the cable, since the ear piece is small so its very in your ear and when you try to remove while pulling the cable in anyway it might be damaged.

But as far as iam concerned its going very well for me.

Anymore questions please send to pm, so we dont move out of subject :D

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #15,219 of 18,652
Ditto on the Pistons 2.1 as a good match for the DX50. Pretty surprising performance given the price. I'm using stock 1.50 firmware.  Thought I'd give them a try after reading the review on Innerfidelity.  For $25, what the heck.  Surprised at the SQ and the build quality.  Great EIM option on the cheep.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #15,220 of 18,652

As fa I know Piston 2.1 has only16 Ohm,is there any particular reason why you use mid gain? Any problem drive with low gain, which is more noise free?

~ron~

I run all my IEM`s and cans with DX50 @ mid gain because I feel that bass & kick are tighter and everything has more "juice". And if I remember correctly, then @ mid gain DX50 power output (mW) was best. At 0 gain I feel DX50 sounding littlebit "lazy". Btw, forgot to mention that with DX50 Piston V2.1 has very slight hiss when nothing is playing but it`s unnoticeable with music.

FlyinMN, they are even better sounding with SU 1.3.3 imo :wink:

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #15,224 of 18,652
Has anyone paired this with the iBasso Pb2 and full size phones? and no how it performs as a source for something like that? Looking on upgrading my iPod 5.5  rockboxed in the near future. I am kind of debating if the DX90 is worth the extra cash right now

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #15,225 of 18,652
I succeed to install win 7 64bits driver for DX50...

You can download signed drivers here https://mega.co.nz/#!21Z2wLDC!N0FowUEoO2InF4pSfYDx1C6Rfh9C7P15T7t5NipJqng

Extract them to your C:\ Drive (important), launch command prompt with admin rights, and go to step 5b.

Tuto from the scratch :

Thanks to this website : http://www.deploymentresearch.com/Research/tabid/62/EntryId/63/Sign-your-unsigned-drivers-Damn-It.aspx

1. Requirements

Go to www.microsoft.com/downloads, download and then install the Windows SDK for Windows 7 
Go to www.microsoft.com/downloads, download and then install the Windows Driver Kit 7.1.0
Go to www.ibasso.com, download and then extract beta driver of DX50 to C:\IbassoSigned (Important to create a directory with this name !!!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the next steps open a command prompt with admin rights
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Sign AD DX50 driver

cd /d "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin"

makecert -r -sv C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.pvk -n CN="IbassoUnofficial" C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.cer

cert2spc C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.cer C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.spc

pvk2pfx -pvk C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.pvk -pi ibasso -spc C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.spc -pfx C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.pfx -po ibasso

cd /d "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\selfsign"

inf2cat.exe /driver:"C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad" /os:7_X64 /verbose

signtool sign /f C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.pfx /p ibasso /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll /v C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\mangoadwinusba64.cat

3. Sign USB DX50 driver

makecert -r -sv C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.pvk -n CN="IbassoUnofficial" C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.cer

cert2spc C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.cer C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.spc

pvk2pfx -pvk C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.pvk -pi ibasso -spc C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.spc -pfx C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.pfx -po ibasso

cd /d "C:\WinDDK\7600.16385.1\bin\selfsign"

inf2cat.exe /driver:"C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb" /os:7_X64 /verbose

signtool sign /f C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.pfx /p ibasso /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll /v C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\mango_usb.cat

4. Install Certificat AD DX50 driver

certmgr.exe -add C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine ROOT

certmgr.exe -add C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad\IbassoAdDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine TRUSTEDPUBLISHER

5. Install Certificat USB DX50 driver

certmgr.exe -add C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine ROOT

certmgr.exe -add C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb\IbassoUsbDrivers.cer -s -r localMachine TRUSTEDPUBLISHER

Go Directly to part 6.

5b. Install Certificats USB et AD (only if you are comming from my downloaded signed drivers https://mega.co.nz/#!21Z2wLDC!N0FowUEoO2InF4pSfYDx1C6Rfh9C7P15T7t5NipJqng )

Open Windows explorer and go directly to C: / IBassoSigned / x64 / mango_ad and double click on the file IbassoAdDrivers.cer , then let all default option, click on Next buttons until it close.

Do the same with USB drivers : Open Windows explorer and go directly to C: / IBassoSigned / x64 / mango_usb and double click on the file IbassoUsbDrivers.cer , then let all default option, click on Next buttons until it close.

Now the drivers are signed and cerificated so you can install them

6. Allow Windows To use this "kind" of signed driver

Always with command prompt and admin rights: 

bcdedit /set testsigning on

Restart your Windows

Your Windows is in test mode (lower down corner)
Install the two drivers with command prompt and admin rights :

cd /d "C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_ad"

pnputil -a mango_ad.inf

cd /d "C:\IbassoSigned\x64\mango_usb"

pnputil -a mango_usb.inf

Restart your Windows

Plug your DX50 with USB DAC Mode enable, and enjoy !

7.Some hint to avoid Blue Screen Of Death

- don't put your ibasso DAC as default sound system (use a media player, like the excellent MusicBee, where you can choose your audio output)
- don't use the ibasso's dedicated sound volume control
- if you shutdown your windows OS, close the media player software and unplug usb ibasso
- if your system crashes, don't forget to unplug the dx50 and plug it when your PC is on windows Desktop

Use it at your own risks, and sorry for my english (i'm from France), if there is something missing or need some help, send me a PM or post in this thread.

AND PLEASE IBASSO's STAFF, SPEND ONE OR TWO HOURS ON THIS screwING DRIVERS, THAT's A SHAME TO DO ALL THIS S**T TO MAKE A POOR DRIVER WORKING. DX50 IS A WONDERFULL PRODUCT, DAC WHEN IT'S WORKING IS TEN THOUSANDS MILES AWAY FROM FIIO X3 DAC, AND IT DON'T DESERVE IT TO HAVE A SO POOR SUPPORT ! (sorry this upset me a lot!!!)

Good Luck !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back